Indie Game: The Movie Exposes Devs' Blood, Sweat, and Tears

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Indie Game: The Movie Exposes Devs' Blood, Sweat, and Tears

[vimeo=25268139]

If you're interested in what it takes to make an independent game, Indie Game: The Movie will be a must-see.

Indie Game: The Movie has been in development for over a year after first being funded through a Kickstarter effort [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100805-Indie-Game-The-Movie-is-a-Real-Tearjerker] last year. Filmmakers James Swirsky and Lisanne Pajot have released the film's official trailer, showing that the project has come a long way.

Indie Game: The Movie is pretty much self-explanatory thanks to its title. Over the course of the movie's production, Swirsky and Pajot have filmed with dozens of independent developers and other related folks in an effort to delve deep into the process of creating a game outside of a publisher like EA or Activision.

It primarily follows Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes of Team Meat as they worked to release Braid [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Meat-Boy-Ultra-Pc/dp/B004NS77OM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309056496&sr=8-1]. Many others such as Jason Rohrer (Passage, Sleep is Death), Kellee Santiago and Jenova Chen (Flow, Flower, Journey), and Ron Carmel (World of Goo) will make appearances in the film or in its special edition DVD.

The most compelling thing about Indie Game: The Movie to me is how it appears to expose the unique processes and mental struggles that these independent developers go through for their craft. Not just from a business standpoint, but on the emotional end as well. Like art, many indie games are an expression of the developer's feelings. It's also not easy to develop a concept for a game from scratch and then take the risk to create it all by yourself (or with a few others) over the course of years.

Indie Game: The Movie's final push has already been funded, but if you'd like to help out and get some swag, the Kickstarter page is here [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blinkworks/indie-game-the-movie-the-final-push]. The current goal is to release the film on DVD and via digital download by the end of 2011 or in early 2012.

Source: Indie Game: The Movie website [http://www.blink-works.com/blinkworks-blog/2011/6/20/indie-game-the-movie-announcements.html]

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Your level of love for game-making exactly correlates to your amount of facial hair.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Cleril said:
THEJORRRG said:
Your level of love for game-making exactly correlates to your amount of facial hair.
In my case it's the lack of facial hair!
As with all rules, there are exceptions. I suggest you grow a beard before you lose all your talent and passion for game-making.
For your health.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
On one hand, I think that the process of indie game development is something that would be interesting to explore. The way that one guy or a small group of people put the effort to make their own game is something to behold, and a great new thing to come into prominence this generation.

On the other hand, this movie will likely over-romanticize the whole process. Give the whole "indie gaming is the last true beacon of creativity in the dull, samey AAA gaming industry" message a lot of people online love saying when they praise indie games.

Also, is it me, or is it kinda counterproductive for 2/3 of the people featured have already developed a well-selling, famous indie game?

michaelod

Jan 3, 2011
Sober Thal said:
I own Super Meat Boy.... when can I own the other indie titles shown in that clip???

OT: I want to see this movie.
I don't think Fez is out yet. But I'd imagine it'll be XBL Arcade and Steam.

Here's Braid though:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/26800/?snr=1_4_4__13

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
On one hand, I think that the process of indie game development is something that would be interesting to explore. The way that one guy or a small group of people put the effort to make their own game is something to behold, and a great new thing to come into prominence this generation.

On the other hand, this movie will likely over-romanticize the whole process. Give the whole "indie gaming is the last true beacon of creativity in the dull, samey AAA gaming industry" message a lot of people online love saying when they praise indie games.

Also, is it me, or is it kinda counterproductive for 2/3 of the people featured have already developed a well-selling, famous indie game?
You, sir, just ninja'd my entire opinion.

The fact that it's so overly-dramatised is really off-putting to me.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Looks interesting, I'm still waiting for Fez; it looks amazing.
However, shouldn't the film focus a little bit more on unknown indie games? Braid, Fez and Super Meat Boy are already insanely well-known games.

Jun 16, 2010
THEJORRRG said:
That's funny, because after a weekend shut in coding my own game I almost always end up with a shaggy beard.

AnAngryMoose said:

I can assure you that programming in general is about the most dramatic thing you can do.
I'm not even kidding. It ranges from "FUUUUUCCCK! I'VE SPENT TWO FUCKING HOURS JUST TRYING TO MAKE DRAG & DROP ICONS! WHY WON'T THIS WORK? THERE IS NO GODDAMN REASON THIS SHOULDN'T BE WORKING! ARRRRRGHHH!" to "OMG! i FIXED IT! YES! EAT IT BITCHES! HOLY SHIT I'M THE GREATEST!"
You could probably make a whole film with just me trying to figure out how to do proper object collisions.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Why the fuck is there a SNES controller next to the titule of the film? Indie has nothing to do with retro, especially the SNES. There are indie games that try to capture something retro but indie doesnt mean retro.

From the trailer I get the impression that this was made by a bunch of hipsters that dont even know what indie gaming is.

PS: Most indie game are played with the keyboard + mouse or an Xbox 360 controller, yet they show us a SNES controller. Fucking retards

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
THEJORRRG said:
Cleril said:
THEJORRRG said:
As with all rules, there are exceptions. I suggest you grow a beard before you lose all your talent and passion for game-making.
For your health.
I'm working on a game, and I had a beard! I say 'had', I shaved it off yesterday for work and for my nan, but the principle is the same. I usually have a beard, so yeah...

And this seems like a pretty interesting film on the whole, so when it's released I will certainly be adding it to my list of 'films to see' - whether I'll actually get through that extensive list, and actually watch it, is another matter entirely...

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
This should defiently be a interesting and fun little documentary... BUT I'm not sure on this whole "the drama" of making indie games.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
James Joseph Emerald said:
THEJORRRG said:
That's funny, because after a weekend shut in coding my own game I almost always end up with a shaggy beard.

AnAngryMoose said:

I can assure you that programming in general is about the most dramatic thing you can do.
I'm not even kidding. It ranges from "FUUUUUCCCK! I'VE SPENT TWO FUCKING HOURS JUST TRYING TO MAKE DRAG & DROP ICONS! WHY WON'T THIS WORK? THERE IS NO GODDAMN REASON THIS SHOULDN'T BE WORKING! ARRRRRGHHH!" to "OMG! i FIXED IT! YES! EAT IT BITCHES! HOLY SHIT I'M THE GREATEST!"
You could probably make a whole film with just me trying to figure out how to do proper object collisions.
I think anyone who has ever had to create or repair inanimate objects has felt this way at least several times in his life.

"GOD DAMN IT I'VE SPENT THE LAST THREE HOURS FIXING IT, WORK GOD DAMN YOU oh it was this easy, okay..."

Also while I do enjoy the idea of more people having beards, cause beards are awesome... man, those are some UGLY beards. At least mine is even, and pretty. Those look like roadkill :/

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Cleril said:
THEJORRRG said:
Cleril said:
THEJORRRG said:
For your health.
I can't....my manliness level is below 5. I only have the skill to think I can grow a beard.
Then you are the exception. KEEP ON ROCKIN, BROTHER!

James Joseph Emerald said:
THEJORRRG said:
That is absolutely awesome. It makes me think someone should do that "a-picture-every-hour-or-so" thing while coding.