Bungie Teases Possible Halo 3 Expansion

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Bungie Teases Possible Halo 3 Expansion

A suspenseful 12 hour countdown on the Halo developer's site has left an even bigger tease for fans this morning.

Yesterday, a familiarly cryptic front page once again appeared on Bungie's website with a series of unusual phrases, including "keep it clean" and "please remain calm," accompanied by a countdown. It was, in fact, the exact same page put up and then taken down around E3, when Microsoft temporarily pulled the plug [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85135] on plans for an exciting announcement from the developer.

At the countdown's conclusion early this morning, Bungie released a teaser trailer [http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=15574] for what looks like a Halo 3-related project. The brief clip, titled "Keep It Clean," shows a swarm of drop pods crashing down into a cityscape. It concludes with the Halo 3 logo and the catchphrase "Prepare to Drop."

The same trailer was made available today on Xbox Live Marketplace [http://www.joystiq.com/2008/09/25/xbox-live-halo-3-expansion-coming-possibly-on-jan-6-2009/]. However, it also included a brief but somewhat revealing description: "High action and deep mystery await players in this new Halo 3 campaign experience. Prepare to drop!" Joystiq also reports a reader uncovered a potential release date of January 6, 2009 hidden within the trailer. Of course, there's no official word yet, but it certainly smells like a Halo 3 expansion is in the works. We will find out soon enough.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Watched the little trailer and thought it looked awesome.

But then, Bungie have a history of creating cryptic, awesome trailers for relatively mediocre games. Perhaps they should stop developing games and move into advertising, they'd be good at it.

lukemdizzle

Jul 7, 2008
I liked Halo 3, it did have some glaring problems. mostly with campaign but I think that bungie's in competition with developers like infinity ward they learned allot about how to develop next gen. games. I think this would be a great opportunity for bungie to redeem themselves as the premiere developers of single player shooters

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
TomNook post=7.72424.760179 said:
Maybe they can make a full single player mode with this thing.
This. I'll likely buy it anyway because I have a completionist thing, but I hope they bother making a real single player game.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Amnestic post=7.72424.760796 said:
This. I'll likely buy it anyway because I have a completionist thing, but I hope they bother making a real single player game.
Well, it does say "Halo 3 campaign experience" so we can hope so.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
meatloaf231 post=7.72424.760823 said:
You know this will be a first for consoles. Halo keeps bringing all the PC staples to the so-called "consoletards."

Three cheers for Bungie (and Ensemble maybe, throw in Microsoft too)! I bet you haven't seen that expresion in a while.

Ahhh, well, back to the drugery they call "life."

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
This fits with some earlier discussions held with members of the voice cast of Halo 3; some of them said at ComicCon that they'd been doing Halo-related voice work... which probably wouldn't be needed for a multiplayer map expansion. (My bet at the time was a bonus cinematic, akin to the short film A Day At the Beach released on the Halo 2 Map Pack disc. I can't say I'd be disappointed if I was wrong.) Given that Microsoft is pitching it as a campaign expansion, there's that much more hope that this'll be a single-player (or co-op) set of missions on the "episodic content" model.

The repeated mention of "01/06/09" in the text overlays of the video has led to speculation that it might be released either January 6 (USAian dating) or 1 June (rest-of-the-world dating) with a slight bias towards the January 6th date... as it's a Tuesday, the traditional day of big releases, whereas June 1 is a Monday. If this is true, though, it's coming impressively quickly... which likely would mean minimal changes in the Halo 3 engine itself and use of art assets either previously used in the Halo games or ones developed but dropped from Halo 3. I wouldn't really expect a squad-based game or any major change from the play style of Halo 3 if this is true, but keep in mind the dates are speculative and not announced.

I'm kinda excited, actually. Definitely looking forward to seeing what comes next.

-- Steve

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Eldritch Warlord post=7.72424.760887 said:
meatloaf231 post=7.72424.760823 said:
You know this will be a first for consoles. Halo keeps bringing all the PC staples to the so-called "consoletards."

Three cheers for Bungie (and Ensemble maybe, throw in Microsoft too)! I bet you haven't seen that expresion in a while.

Ahhh, well, back to the drugery they call "life."
A first? Expasions are a first?

What about bethesda and Bioware?

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico post=7.72424.761564 said:
A first? Expasions are a first?

What about bethesda and Bioware?
You can make pretty much anything a first if you aren't specific enough.

"First single-player expansion to a console game with a multiplayer feature."

There it works.

However, you are right and I'm just trying to pick up the lost sticks of the ****** that is my dignity. (don't be stupid, a ****** is a bundle of sticks)

Xyzgon

Jul 2, 2008
The trailer looks absolutely freaking awesome. And honestly i've never understood the halo bashing going around. The entire trilogy was fantastic and the first was revolutionary. Honestly Halo 3 holds its ground as one of the better fps's available. Also if you look at this http://onpause.org/2008/09/halo-3-keep-it-clean-teaser-trailer.html (bottom video) then it says it found a date 1/06/09. A release date? Well there's my two cents.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
then it says it found a date 1/06/09. A release date? Well there's my two cents.
I hear reading all of the first post is greatly appreciated:

Joystiq also reports a reader uncovered a potential release date of January 6, 2009 hidden within the trailer.
And I'm not even going to start bashing (in detail) the utter disappointment that was Halo 3's single player. It's been done before.

Swift Tactix

Jul 31, 2008
fix-the-spade post=7.72424.760650 said:

But then, Bungie have a history of creating cryptic, awesome trailers for relatively mediocre games. Perhaps they should stop developing games and move into advertising, they'd be good at it.
I thought Microsoft handles the trailers and advertisings since they're the publisher.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Swift Tactix post=7.72424.761848 said:
fix-the-spade post=7.72424.760650 said:

I thought Microsoft handles the trailers and advertisings since they're the publisher.
No, developers always do the trailers/teasers. Publishers do advertising, but in general don't feed the hype machine (Halo 3 being an exception).

tregon75

Jun 27, 2008
Interesting, it seems we might play as ODSTs, judging by the fact that those were the pods they drop down in. If that happens, I would have to say, it would be pretty cool.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
tregon75 post=7.72424.761858 said:
Interesting, it seems we might play as ODSTs, judging by the fact that those were the pods they drop down in. If that happens, I would have to say, it would be pretty cool.
That would be awesome. Unfortunately, I'm most likely not going to purchase this, simply because I'm not the type to buy expansions.

2ndclasscitizen

Feb 22, 2008
tregon75 post=7.72424.761858 said:
Might be a HL1-type expansion set during the Covenant invasion, i.e the same event seen from a different point of view.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Gearing up the wild thoughts!
1- The broken half of forward unto dawn starts to crash on the x-world and the drop pods are released and chief goes onto the world.

2- During the war wih the outlying worlds is when the game takes place.

3- the game is on Onyx, worst way for this to go.