Deep Inside a North Korean Arcade

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Deep Inside a North Korean Arcade

This is both very cool and deeply depressing: A series of photographs taken inside a North Korean arcade proves there are worse things in life than the red ring of death.

While it would be more thrilling to claim that our very own Jordan Deam had been deep undercover in the Hermit Kingdom for the past 14 months, and had only just managed to smuggle out these photos as his last act before being arrested and summarily executed by Kim Jong-Il's dreaded secret police, the truth is that the photos are posted at UK: Resistance [http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2008/09/inside-north-korean-arcade.html], and they depict the soul-deadening bleakness of the gaming opportunities available to the average North Korean.

Of course, it would be reasonable to express shock at the mere existence of North Korean gamers, but much like a spindly tree clinging tenaciously to a rocky cliff wall, they're out there, and even in that harsh and ugly environment, they're pumping quarters. We salute you, our noble North Korean brethren; your dedication and shining example will give us all pause to think the next time we want to start pissing and moaning about how we keep getting screwed by The Man.

Human Bomb

Sep 29, 2007
I think we all need to take a look at the stuff we complain about with better perspective. Possibly even complain less? That machine looks like POWs played it.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Sometimes, they happen to find quarters in the pockets or stomachs of those they eat.

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
North...Korean...Gamers...?

Suddenly I have that damn "Why can't we be friends?" song bouncing around in my head.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
What game is it running? I can't make it out.

Ironically, this machine would probably be considered vintage in the West, possibly even sold for much more than it's actually worth :/

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
There's one of the arcade machines that is decorated with US circa-1943 airplanes. Took me a moment to realise that they might actually represent the bad guys in the game.

A.Balthazor

Mar 5, 2008
I can't really make out any sort of controls on this video game. Do they just put in quarters... to watch?

Maybe we should donate games to them. Or food, shaped like video game characters, which would probably be appreciated more.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Ha...North Korea...That's actually kinda sad. As long as no one remembers it's the Soviet Union's fault, though, we're okay.

Zombie_King

May 26, 2008
Wow...I'm glad I'm not North Korean. Being in a totalitarian dictatorship and being starved isn't enough, but you have to play that crap?

Some things are worse than torture.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Zombie_King post=7.72438.763999 said:
Some things are worse than torture.
Have you met my friend PalinPAIN?!

As for the article, my condolences go out for my North Korean gaming siblings. They of course have more pressing matters at hand, like surviving.