Rep. Joe Baca Rails Against Supreme Court Decision

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rep. Joe Baca Rails Against Supreme Court Decision

Congressman Joe Baca, the man who wants health warning labels on videogames, is "disappointed" by the Supreme Court's decision to let the game industry continue to peddle its heinous filth to children.

Joe Baca thinks videogames are dangerous. Dangerous enough that he has twice introduced a bill that would require all videogames rated T (Teen) or higher to same First Amendment protections as other media [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107265-Congressman-Wants-Health-Warning-Labels-on-Games-Again].

"I am disappointed the multi-billion dollar video game industry will continue to go unchecked in its ability to profit from selling heinous depictions of violence and sex to minors," Baca said in the wake of the ruling. "Unfortunately, the industry is still not doing enough to provide parents with accurate information regarding the content of many games."

Of course, that ignores the fact that the videogame industry does more than any other entertainment business to keep parents educated and informed about its products, and that videogames have a higher level of age rating compliance than any other medium on the market. It also overlooks the inconvenient point that while videogames have become more ubiquitous across all levels of society, crime rates have actually declined, and that for all the dangers of "interactivity" there is no actual evidence that it's any more harmful than the consumption of any other form of entertainment.

But hey, why let things like "facts" get in the way of hysterical pandering, right? To that end, Baca indicated that he would continue to pursue his quest to mandate warning labels for games. "I continue to sponsor and advocate for legislation in the House of Representatives that would mandate all videogames with a rating of 'Teen' or higher be sold with a cigarette style warning label, citing the health risks of excessive exposure to violent media," he said.

"Violent media" presumably excluding movies, television, music and books, of course.

Source: Inland News Today [http://www.inlandnewstoday.com/story.php?s=19740]

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I love how whenever there's a low-key political event like this(lets face it, outside the Games Industry this affects no one), a group of nobody congressmen and political activists latch on to it in an effort to boost their own profile.

We should all take up smoking just to piss him off.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
I believe 'Baca' means 'stupid' in Japanese.

Also what exactly could you possibly put down on a warning label on a videogame that would ACTUALLY discourage ppl. from buying it, short of citing a direct link with cancer. Wait.. I think I just made up Fox News' latest headline..

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
"Somebody once said that 'A Politician is someone who can talk for hours and not actually say anything'" -Yahtzee

"I am disappointed the multi-billion dollar video game industry will continue to go unchecked in its ability to profit from selling heinous depictions of violence and sex to minors,"

I am disappointed the multi-billion dollar corrupted politics industry will continue to go unchecked in it's ability to profit.

e.e you see what I did there?

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
"Not doing enough to provide parents with accurate information regarding the content of many games"
Then what the hell are the descriptions on the ESRB? They literally list every instance of potentially offensive content in a game.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Sougo said:

Also what exactly could you possibly put down on a warning label on a videogame that would ACTUALLY discourage ppl. from buying it, short of citing a direct link with cancer. Wait.. I think I just made up Fox News latest headline..
Given that I don't think the Japanese have an actual letter c, and if it's pronounced like a k, you would get baka, which is Japanese for idiot.

Video Games, this generation's rock and roll.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
So all the fuss he's making is for a warning label on the game? Wow, and how exactly would a warning label actually help?

Unless I pick up some god awful disease, like scurvy, or feel the need to pick up a gun to shoot something, like the geco in my backyard, then I don't see the point in what he wants.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
Sougo said:

Also what exactly could you possibly put down on a warning label on a videogame that would ACTUALLY discourage ppl. from buying it, short of citing a direct link with cancer. Wait.. I think I just made up Fox News latest headline..
Given that I don't think the Japanese have an actual letter c, and if it's pronounced like a k, you would get baka, which is Japanese for idiot.

Video Games, this generation's rock and roll.
Well, English is a funny language. Even when you know how to read it, you're often confused on how the damn thing should be read.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Joy another know nothing politician I can say to proudly: Go cry me a river bub. Cause you know us 'evil' gamers were fueled by tears of forsaken politicans.

/sarcasm

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
... the Supreme Court gave the First Ammendment protection?
Why am I only just hearing of this?

About bloody time.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
ZombieGenesis said:
... the Supreme Court gave the First Ammendment protection?
Why am I only just hearing of this?

About bloody time.
This makes you avatar choice even more appropriate. Either that or you did that on purpose.
Either way good job, you get a thumbs up!

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Oh come on. I've seen Kill Bill on basic cable at 6:00 PM. And that was far more scarring than anything in my gaming library.

Really, though, the proof is in the pudding. The Game industry will continue to strive for rating compliance and gamers will keep on being just as constructive members of society as the general population. It'll just take time.

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
I think Rep. Baca should be forced to have a warning label permanently inked onto his forehead that warns people near him of the unsubstantiated claim that simply being in his presence will lower your IQ 47.2 points.

If he can do it, so can we.

Lightning Delight

Apr 21, 2011
I am confused as to what a cigarette style warning label for games would actually say. Don't those things have to be completely factual? How do they cite risks for overexposure to violent media when it hasn't been proved that there even are any?

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
Sougo said:

Also what exactly could you possibly put down on a warning label on a videogame that would ACTUALLY discourage ppl. from buying it, short of citing a direct link with cancer. Wait.. I think I just made up Fox News' latest headline..
I agree with you on this, what could you possibly saw that would deterr people from buying the game.

For the Fox News headline, I think they would be more likely to say that it's the number one cause of murder or suicide.

*blinks twice* Crap!
I've given them ideas!! NOOOOO!!!

It's funny how he only mentioned cigarettes and assault rifles. What about alcohol, and other firearms? Are handguns allowed not to have a warning label?? I was be sarcastic on the last question.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
Mysten said:
I think Rep. Baca should be forced to have a warning label permanently inked onto his forehead that warns people near him of the unsubstantiated claim that simply being in his presence will lower your IQ 47.2 points.

If he can do it, so can we.
By his logic, all the pavements and roads across America should be labelled with a warning about possible injury should you actually fall. He might also consider rating the different surfaces for your chances of falling.

Example:
This pavement is rated R for the ridiculously high chances of someone falling on it. Note: Falling may result in permanent brain injury or fractures. Please be advised that it is ILLEGAL for anyone aged under 18 to fall on this surface. Violators will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

KezzieZ

Sep 20, 2010
Rep. Baca is such a hypocrite. It's stuff like this that makes me dislike politics; you get irrational hate-mongers like this guy.

Also, something really bothers me about his "multi-billion dollar video gaming industry" comment. Probably the fact that he put that in to make it sound like a big evil corporation bent on corrupting today's youth like that gosh-danged rock-and-roll and comic books.

Does he forget that, like any entertainment medium, video games aren't just for kids and that the games he's complaining about are meant for either teens or adults? I'm in my 20's and I love some video games (of various ratings, I might add) just like I love some novels, movies, music, and tv shows (also of various ratings). People need to stop the age ghetto stigma that they've attached to games.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Yeah, yeah. You lost. Go pout in your corner. You can't overrule the Supreme Court. Believe me, you weren't the first person to be disappointed in a decision they made, and you won't be the last.
Good point on the fact that guns don't care warning labels. I'd like to see him try and pass that bill.