Xbox 360 Easier to Use for Skyrim Demonstrations, Says Bethesda

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Xbox 360 Easier to Use for Skyrim Demonstrations, Says Bethesda

The studio also wants the PC version's visuals to have as much impact as possible on the player.

Bethesda's Todd Howard has explained why the studio has decided to use the Xbox 360 version of the new Elder Scrolls game, Skyrim [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Xbox-360/dp/B004HYK956/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1309349029&sr=1-1]. As it turns out, the answer is surprisingly simple: The Xbox 360 is just easier to use than any other platform, at least for demonstration purposes.

"I don't know if people realize," he said. "But as a game developer, the 360 is just much easier to show it on, from getting it started, to showing it, to controlling it, it's just much easier to demo on logistically." When asked why he didn't use the PC version - which he said looks even better than the console version - Howard said it was a matter of perception. Bethesda wanted people to see the console version at shows and then be impressed with the extra graphical quality on the PC, not see the PC version and then be disappointed with its console counterpart.

Considering how many people see/play games demos at trade shows, especially for a game as eagerly awaited as Skyrim, it's not surprise that the developer would want to make the experience as easy as possible, both for the people playing the game, and for itself. Apparently, that means using the Xbox 360, a fact that some people will probably read more into than they should.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 11th.

Source: AusGamer [http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3076322] via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/309384/bethesda-explains-why-skyrims-shown-on-360-not-pc/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
Did anyone get pissed that they showed it on 360? (well ofc...)

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
That seems fair enough. Better to show the minimum and have people satisfied than show the very best and have people dissapointed.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
I hate the fact that argument kind of makes sense.
Why not make people pleasantly surprised with the PC rather than dissapointed with the console?
It'll reflect good on reviews too. Curses Bethesda.

... I'll take ten.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Catchy Slogan said:
That seems fair enough. Better to show the minimum and have people satisfied than show the very best and have people dissapointed.
Assuming the minimum is good, of course (which it is, since it's Bethseda)

Phase_9

Oct 18, 2008
Why does it matter? I play both PC and console, and I don't give a toss what platform they show it on as long as it's good. At the end of the day, that's all that should matter.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh God! We all know what this means! They're gonna focus on the console version! It's gonna be dumbed down! It won't use DX14! I won't have to map more than 25 keys! I won't be able to level up my toenails!

The end times are upon us!

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Wait, were people actually complaining that it was shown on the Xbox 360 instead of a PC?

If so, that's pretty stupid, and some people are just really fussy...

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
Exactly. If it looks good on an XBox, it should look good on any PC of the past 5+ years.

This makes a real lot of sense for Bethesda to do, just pop the demo disk in a console and you have everything up and running. There are always possible issues with PCs.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Were people really complaining about the fact that they showed it on console? It seems like a bit of a stupid thing to get hung up on

[sub]Never mind i don't want to hear the answer to that question[/sub]

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
did bethesda just wrap their juicy red lips around the almighty MS-money-dick?

just kidding guys, i just couldn't let one page on a skyrim-related thread pass without some cave man jumping out of the bushes to pronounce the end of days.

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
I hate having a ps3 and a 360, now I'm always scared the version of the game I'm getting will be the poorly optimized one

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Oh bethesda, you clever bastards.. It is a pretty good move for when the game comes out actually..

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
I love reading pc fanboys comments it just makes me so happy how they think that theyr are superior to non pc gamers, it's obvious that the pc version will look better so why complain?

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
So taking that into consideration, does DICE enjoy taunting console gamers?

OT: Sounds reasonable. Seems like PS3 would be just as easy to use though :l

quantumcat

May 6, 2011
Easton Dark said:

PS3 is said to be a lot harder to develop for, due to having a specialized architecture with dedicated subprocessors. Conversely, an Xbox360 is a lot like a PC with generalized processors and much simpler to develop for.

OT: That's also why some companies started using PS3 as their lead platform. It's apparently a major pain to figure out how to redo everything from generic to specialized processors. But if you figure it out on the specialized processors first, it's easy to move it over to general ones.

In any case, I would speculate it's just easier to get a demo up and running on the 360. Now I don't know why it'd be easier to show or control on a 360 vs a PS3.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
Of course Bethesda is using the 360 version. No unofficial patch have made the PC version playable yet.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
quantumcat said:
Easton Dark said:

In any case, I would speculate it's just easier to get a demo up and running on the 360. Now I don't know why it'd be easier to show or control on a 360 vs a PS3.
That's what I was getting at. Seems like it'd be equally easy to get a ps3 on the show floor. I just wished they'd have shown it on ps3 instead because... well... <<Badges<<.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Zhukov said:
Oh God! We all know what this means! They're gonna focus on the console version! It's gonna be dumbed down! It won't use DX14! I won't have to map more than 25 keys! I won't be able to level up my toenails!

The end times are upon us!
I know, remeber back in the day when each toenail leveled on their own and was related to a star sign and only skills from under those signs could be used to level the nail?

... man I wish they didn't take out the cart from Daggerfall, and boats, and houses.