Transformers Fanboy-Free Breakdown

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Transformers Fanboy-Free Breakdown

Another week, another breakdown of a lackluster, nonsensical movie.

Read Full Article

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
this definitely deserved to be ripped a new one. Doesn't help that the screenplay damaged one of Star Trek's most iconic line (and I'm not even a fanboy of that series)

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Yeah, the complete lack of plot cohesion at the start of RotF just made me give up on the series. I will not be giving Mr. Bay my money this time around.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Aiddon said:
this definitely deserved to be ripped a new one. Doesn't help that the screenplay damaged one of Star Trek's most iconic line (and I'm not even a fanboy of that series)
How exactly does it "damage" the line? Is "Wrath of Khan" retroactively considered an inferior movie now? Is it just impossible to carry lines/moments between different kinds of movies without somehow "damaging" them???

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Arrgh the mass shifting he does in these films makes me wanna tear my hair out. I was having trouble taking the first one seriously anyway then they shrink the allspark down from some infinitely heavy mguffin into something you can put in a rucksack i mean come on wtf.

B Goy

Jan 5, 2010
I'll try and answer these for you as I feel you deserve an answer and these are all my guesses.

1. I think it matches with why Megatron sucked in Transformer's 2 and 3, in number one the goal was to bring back Megatron and start domination with Earth being planet number one as it has a nice big Sun, using the AllSpark as fuel. Megatron, when being brought back, has momentum going for him and has started a berserker rage on the Autobots which stopped as he came back while Optimus is powered by a Last Dance as he tries to take out the main three with him.

In Transformers 2 Megatron meets up with the boss and they go with Plan B and I think the Fallen was planning to wait until Megatron took out Optimus and he would join up with him. The injuries sustained by Megatron in RoTF have given him a weakened and humiliated state as the brain damage has caused him to go a bit loopy as the girl sparks the anger he felt by Sentinel's beat down.

2. I think when the the city battle happened the amount of people who believe in aliens increased to 49% at the very least and after a Pyramid was lost, it would have been too hard to cover that one up and they went open about it.

3. Well it's a lot easier to find a place to put a load of vehicles then it is to place a whole group of robots and it would satisfy people like Bill O'Reilly as the public might be more alright with dealing with robots that don't demand their own big place.

4. Bad directing by Bay and the inability of film makers to realise that the general public can go without seeing the standard 'average guy gets caught up in everything.' angle.

5. The military angle was actually my little joy as it answered the question of 'Why don't the military ever try and fight the bad guys themselves?' and it showed that humanity could hold its own but only with the best and if it was one at a time. although on the suit on RoTF I do not think that he had the authority to shut down or overrule an INTERNATIONAL team of robot fighters.

6. No.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Arkvoodle said:
Aiddon said:
How exactly does it "damage" the line? Is "Wrath of Khan" retroactively considered an inferior movie now? Is it just impossible to carry lines/moments between different kinds of movies without somehow "damaging" them???
I hate this kind of strawman tactic. No, Wrath of Khan is not somehow a worse movie, but Kruger once again proves he's a hack by trying to artificially inject gravitas into his shitty writing by putting in one of Leonard Nimoy's most iconic phrases. Fuck Kruger, fuck Bay, and shame on Nimoy for being in this film. The only thing possibly worse is Francis McDormand wasting her time in this film.

Ian S

Aug 31, 2009
Well, Bob, one could argue that the basic message of Transformers has ALWAYS been that from day one. The Transformers were conceived in the 1980s at the height of Reagansim. And both it and G.I. Joe which usually aired after it were very much products of their time, endorsing the brand of militarism that particular administration was known for. Even Peter Cullen envisioned Prime as being kind of like John Wayne, and there's a little bit of that quality in his voice if you listen closely. And you can't get more all-American than that.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Can Ken Jeong Do Any Other Characters?
Well, he could play a cranky gynaecologist in Knocked Up. But apart from that he's a pretty annoying one-note actor.

And I have to say that you're really overthinking these movies. There's no need for that; They're simply shit, and that all the analysation these movies deserve.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Can Ken Jeong Do Any Other Characters?
Well, he could play a cranky gynaecologist in Knocked Up. But apart from that he's a pretty annoying one-note actor.

And I have to say that you're really overthinking these movies. There's no need for that; They're simply shit, and that all the analysation these movies deserve.
It was immensely satisfying to see Laserbeak (who came out of his re-imagining better than most of his peers) throw him out of a window with an air of casual disdain.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Brace for apologist fans whining about how you're thinking too deep, you're supposed to turn your brain off, etc and other excuses for terrible movie-making.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
The second movie caused me physical pain. I'm so sad that the third movie even exists that I cannot verbalise my disdain.
Just plain sad.

LordBojangles

Feb 25, 2009
I kind of hope that they never make another live-action Transformers movie again--an ANIMATED feature, though, THAT could be fun. Plus they couldn't even use the "human characters are less expensive to film" excuse--we'd probably even get to go to Cybertron.

As for the Nimoy thing, am I the only one surprised that he even DID this movie after all those years of pretending he didn't voice Galvatron?

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
LordBojangles said:
As for the Nimoy thing, am I the only one surprised that he even DID this movie after all those years of pretending he didn't voice Galvatron?
Bay is Nimoy's nephew, if that helps.

GrimSheeper

Jan 15, 2010
Aiddon said:
I thought that when I had SpoonyOne in his Vlog mention this line. They took a deep, meaningful line from a crucial point in the story that was so important for the progression of these people as characters, not to mention that Wrath of Khan is one of the best damn Sci Fi movies ever with a near Shakespearian level of writing. This really important line: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few", is now in the same movie as Deep Wang.

Way to fucking go, Bay. We really dig your humor of calling an asian guy Jimmy Wang...
And I don't consider myself a Star Trek Fan either, I just saw the movies when they were on TV.

Vegan_Doodler

May 29, 2011
In answer to "What Do the Decepticons Want, Again?" I'll yet again quot an critique of the series that I am writing.

As for the new shiny dodad they had to find I actually liked that part because it made all the movies make since when put together.
Think about the Deceptacons plans if nothing had gone wrong.
1. Megatron comes to earth to retrieve the all-spark, not to rebuild Cybertron but to give him the advantage over the Auotobots and turn earth's machines into an army (even though he landed hundreds of years ago and we didn't have so much as a tin-opener but OK whatever).
2. Once Optimus had been defeated the fallen would come out of hiding, he and megatron would scorer the earth for the matrix of leadership, Jetfire would still be on their side so he would give them the information he had thus speeding up their search. The fallen would activate that machine that turns the sun into energon (or whatever the hell it was meant to do).
3. Megatron resurrects Vector-Prime who activates the space bridge and brings Cybertron to earth. With the energon, earth's natural resources, human slaves and the machine race created by the all-spark they rebuild Cybertron,....... and inevitably Vector-Prime, Megatron, and The Fallen fight for control (or enter another stupid rock paper scissors thing), and only one of these three stages has to succeed for the Deceptacons to win, It's one of the best evil plans I've ever seen, to bad it was unintentional and we had to sit through so much bullshit to see it.

(Fixed the spelling.)