Indie Roguelike Dungeons of Dredmor Gains Steam at $5

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Indie Roguelike Dungeons of Dredmor Gains Steam at $5

Fans of classic gaming and dungeon crawling will want to take a gander at Dungeons of Dredmor.

When I first came across Gaslamp Games' Dungeons of Dredmor, my indie sense started tingling, and I wasn't alone. The intriguing roguelike/dungeon crawler has been getting a lot of buzz, but it didn't have a price or anticipated release date until now. Gaslamp Games has announced that Dungeons of Dredmor will hit Steam on July 13 for just $5.

Dozens of skills (from Astrology to Fleshsmithing)? Check. Randomized dungeons? Check. Lots of treasure to collect (including a panini press and lutefisk)? Check. Complicated crafting? Check. Entire rooms packed with monsters ready to overwhelm you unless you use some kind of interesting item/skill combination? Check. Yeah, it looks pretty sweet to me.

Dungeons of Dredmor combines this classic roguelike gameplay with a pretty visual style in a world where humans have giant eyebrows. If "Death By Eyebrow" isn't a skill right now or added in a later patch, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Did I mention the $5 thing? It seems like a very cheap price for a game of this sort that can provide tons of replay value, but I'm not complaining. Plus, it couldn't be easier to buy it now that it's coming to Steam, which everyone and their grandmother uses.

[gallery=376]

Any game that congratulates you for dying is a-okay in my book. Gaslamp Games is hoping to make a huge splash when Dungeons of Dredmor hits on July 13.

Source: Gaslamp Games [http://www.gaslampgames.com/]

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
I like roguelikes, I do. The concept, the gameplay, the near-infinite replayability value. Having said that, is there anything that makes this particular roguelike stand out? Why should you buy this, instead of downloading one of the many excellent and free roguelikes out there? I know it's only $5, but that's still more than 0. Does anyone know if it's worth buying or should I just stick with Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup?

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Sp3ratus said:
I like roguelikes, I do. The concept, the gameplay, the near-infinite replayability value. Having said that, is there anything that makes this particular roguelike stand out? Why should you buy this, instead of downloading one of the many excellent and free roguelikes out there? I know it's only $5, but that's still more than 0. Does anyone know if it's worth buying or should I just stick with Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup?
Consider yourself to be paying for a $5 uber-skin for a roguelike.

It looks pretty neat. Next time I have spare cash in my wallet I think I'll pick it up. the interface on roguelikes has always been what holds me back. This could finally be what breaks through for me. Neat.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
While I'm intruiged by the gameplay, I don't like the style of the cartoonish graphics. I've got nothing against cartoony graphics in general (I like the style of "Battle for Wesnoth"), but this particular style puts me off. I think it looks too childish.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Just as an addition, July 13th is also the day Zeboyd's Cthulhu Saves the World + Breath of Death VII hit steam. For 3 bucks.

That's 8 clams for an incredible amount of game.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Roguelike implies permadeath, right? No loading or extra lives?

If so, I'll pass. I don't care for that kind of pressure in my games.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Are there TF2 tie-in items? Please say there are. Even if there aren't, SAY THAT THERE ARE.

I am just another victim of the hat-conomy.

darkszero

Apr 1, 2010
From a dungeon crawler to a roguelike, the difference if very small, but important. Does this game has either permadeath or a food system?

Anyway, the graphics looks so annoying and ugly. I got tired just from watching the trailer! For me, if I wanted to play a roguelike again I'd play SLASH'EM (since I've already ascended in nethack :p).

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Jumwa said:

NetHack is super-easy to savescum in, not to mention the existence of Wizard mode. The furthest I've gotten on my own is to Valhalla as a Valkyrie, so Wizard Mode's my only way of really playing with the game.

Why not give it another go?

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Jumwa said:

'

I'm pretty sure this game doesn't force permadeath. It's an option.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
It depends, I love roguelikes, but if I am going to play one it better allow me to be anything but human, I hate playing a human in fantasy.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
I'm pretty sure this game doesn't force permadeath. It's an option.
Thanks! That's good to know.

I have a near uncontrollable urge to pick up all $5 or less games on Steam, as long as I think I'll give it a few hours of play time at least.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
I really can't see the market for this. I mean, there's so many great free roguelikes out there, and this one doesn't seem to have anything special, except maybe for the graphics. And when it comes to roguelikes, who cares about graphics anyway?
I'm just going to stick with Stone Soup and Dwarf Fortress.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
darkszero said:
Anyway, the graphics looks so annoying and ugly. I got tired just from watching the trailer! For me, if I wanted to play a roguelike again I'd play SLASH'EM (since I've already ascended in nethack :p).
When I accidentally killed my pet (poly trapped into a Kobold Lord) in the Mall via a bounced wand shot, angering my God and generally ruining my day. :(

Oh yeah, the above is technically from Noegnud [http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Noegnud].

I haven't played in ages, and never played long enough to ascend. Started working on a multiplayer server for replays/bones files a while ago, maybe it needs to be resurrected (I actually have an old copy of the server code that ran nethack.alt.org from back in 2004 somewhere). :D

Artifex 28

Jul 22, 2011
This game is absolutely epic!

Damn how much I just banged my head to wall after dying on floor 7 to a named enemy, considering I could have simply backed away to heal & buff, but the greed got the hold of me and thought I would save some stuff for later...meh!!

341.1k score. beat that! :)