BioWare Asks Fans About Showing Tali's Face in Mass Effect 3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare Asks Fans About Showing Tali's Face in Mass Effect 3

It might not be entirely sure what Tali's face looks like, but BioWare wants to know if you want to see it.

It seems that BioWare is having a hard time deciding whether or not to show the face of Tali, Mass Effect's Quarian crewmate, whose weak immune system means she has to hide inside an environment suit at all times. So, to help the studio make its decision, it's asking its fans whether or not they want to see her face in the first place.

BioWare asked fans on its BioFeed [http://twitter.com/#!/biofeed/status/88343562097393664] and Mass Effect [http://twitter.com/#!/masseffect/status/88343559094280193 ] Twitter accounts. The reaction to the question has been predictably mixed, with some fans keen to see what she's got under her mask, and others wanting BioWare to preserve the mystique. "No, keep her an enigma. Too many things get spoilt by people's need to know!" said [http://twitter.com/#!/TheRealStyli/status/88344902806675457] one commenter. "Yes, yes, yes!! Just please don't let it be a [sic] "I want to show you my face before I die" kind of scene," said [http://twitter.com/#!/CourtneyWoods/status/88345003423830016] another.

What Tali looks under her mask has been the subject of all kinds of speculation ever since her appearance in the first Mass Effect game. Some want her to look beautiful and other want to looks like "a cross between a Predator and Dr. Zoidberg [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111431-BioWare-Still-Unsure-About-Tali-Reveal]," while others want Tali to look like her voice actress, Liz Sroka.

Luckily - or sadly, depending on your point of view - if BioWare does decide to show her face, supporters of the squid/mandibles camp will probably be disappointed. It's suggested that she has a human-esque face - you can make out a nose through her helmet's visor - and the romance scene in Mass Effect 2 where she kisses Shepard pretty much confirms that she has lips. Of course, there's a lot of room for variety, even in that familiar format.

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: GamePro [http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/220922/mass-effect-3-might-reveal-talis-face/]

Dec 14, 2009
What amazes me about the whole 'what do Quarians look like' situation, is that you'd fucking think there'd be photos lying around, since, you know, they do occassionally take their suits off.

We should know what Qurians look like in general, but what Tali looks like? I'm not sure...

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I want her face looking human... but completely upside down. Just for shits and giggles.

In all seriousness i want het face to remain secret. The less i know the better. I love a mystery.

Dec 14, 2009
SteelStallion said:
Daystar Clarion said:
What amazes me about the whole 'what do Quarians look like' situation, is that you'd fucking think there'd be photos lying around, since, you know, they do occassionally take their suits off.

We should know what Qurians look like in general, but what Tali looks like? I'm not sure...
Thing is, how many Quarians have you seen in Mass Effect? Tali and a few random ones on pilgrimage. They aren't very common. They're a very, very reclusive case for many reasons, having next to nothing as an immune system being one of then. It's already been said that they pretty much only take their suits off to like, mate, or take care of a newborn.

Unless some curious bugger murders one and takes their suit off I don't imagine there being many photos.
Surely there would be medical studies on the subject though? Diagrams, that sort of thing.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Well considering Tali was the only NPC I bothered to romance only to see what fuck is under that helmet, I'm all for revealing however they be some who hate it, some who love, and people like me who are only fucking curious.

diddykonger

Jan 14, 2009
do the cross between a Predator and Dr. Zoidberg, just to screw around with the fanbase:p

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
At the end she'll take off the mask, revealing SHEPARD'S FACE.

Cut to black. No credits.

[sub]What a tweest![/sub]

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Well, at last check on FB, the numbers were as follows

19965 (86%) in favor of, 3276 (14%) against.

Now, I don't know the twitter response, but this isn't "predictably mixed" in my opinion. This gives a decent response from the community, but that's just my take on it.

Landis963

May 23, 2011
The option should be there, IMO, but only if you romanced her in ME2 or ME3. If they do this, however, It should not be predator/dr. Zoidberg, it should be something that one could find beautiful. Not "space elf", I have a bit more faith in Bioware's character modelers than that cliche, and besides, the asari already have that covered. Tweaking the placeholder would be a good place to start, IMO.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
Seeing her face will only lead to disappointment from everyone. Nothing can live up to one's imagination.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

One of the Asari characters (I think it's the one behind the bar on Illium) said something about "...back when people could still remember what the Quarians looked like," in reference to something completely different. It was a throw away line but it gave the impression that it was such a long time ago that it's just been accepted that Quarians live in those suits and no one remembers it otherwise.

Besides, when you ramance Tali, she tells Shepard that to share the same environment with another is a gesture of extreme trust and respect. I expect that within the Quarian culture, to reveal their appearance has simply become something they just don't do, considering the implications it would entail on a social level.

Personally, I'm not fussed about seeing Tali's face. Part of the reason I like her so much is the mystery and complexity of the character and her race's culture and the suit is all part of that. Besides, there's just no way of doing the reveal without it being a "I want to show you my face before I die" kind of scene, just like someone already said.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
If they dont show tali, they should at least show us some other quarian, just to see wha they look like.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Indifferent here. Tali to me is the character with the enviro suit. Her suit is more her character than her face will ever be.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
I do think they should leave her mask on. It's simply impossible to please everyone so this way nobody is annoyed.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
mireko said:
At the end she'll take off the mask, revealing SHEPARD'S FACE.

Cut to black. No credits.

[sub]What a tweest![/sub]
My drink > keyboard.

OT: Have her helmet get cracked; just show off an eye and a bit of the face.

Dec 14, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
Daystar Clarion said:

One of the Asari characters (I think it's the one behind the bar on Illium) said something about "...back when people could still remember what the Quarians looked like," in reference to something completely different. It was a throw away line but it gave the impression that it was such a long time ago that it's just been accepted that Quarians live in those suits and no one remembers it otherwise.

Besides, when you ramance Tali, she tells Shepard that to share the same environment with another is a gesture of extreme trust and respect. I expect that within the Quarian culture, to reveal their appearance has simply become something they just don't do, considering the implications it would entail on a social level.

Personally, I'm not fussed about seeing Tali's face. Part of the reason I like her so much is the mystery and complexity of the character and her race's culture and the suit is all part of that. Besides, there's just no way of doing the reveal without it being a "I want to show you my face before I die" kind of scene, just like someone already said.
Hmm, that's a reasonable explanation. Perhaps it's very much a social issue to not reveal their appearance unless in very specific circumstances. I still think there would be photos though. I'd like to think of Shepard sitting down at his computer and opening up an image search on Google: Supreme future version.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
I say base it on that high quality fan art that even bioware themselves liked.