86: Shadows of the Colossus

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
"'People who treat the CAs as run-of-the-mill volunteers are making a big mistake. That person in the [conference] shirt is your next stellar employee, co-worker or even boss,' Harlick says. As a freshman CA in 2004, I was astonished at the number of industry veterans enthusiastically putting in their time with the bright shirts. This will come as a great shock to many gaming starlets, but the industry is not always that stable; the company I'd worked for had folded, and, though technically a full-time developer, I joined the program out of financial need. But for many vets, this isn't the case."

Erin Hoffman takes a peek at the heart underneath the bright shirts of GDCs volunteer staff.
Shadows of the Colossus

TomBeraha

Jul 25, 2006
Thanks for the article Erin.

I enjoyed a brief look into something I'd never heard of. It is nice to see part of the behind the scenes that has a positive feel to it. As strange as this may be, it's hard for me to remember that the people behind the games I love, get to have fun making them too. (As opposed to the reverse, my view of the industry is far from romanticized, except maybe for those indie guys.)

Darkpen

Nov 26, 2006
Blah! If only I knew they had something like this.... I'll attempt to register for next year's when the time comes...