Sony Gets in on Online Pass Action

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Gets in on Online Pass Action

The scheme will apparently allow Sony to improve its online services.

Sony has joined the likes of EA and THQ by adopting an online pass scheme for its games. The scheme, called "PSN Pass," which use unique codes that grants full access to a game's online capabilities. The pass will debut with Insomniac's Resistance 3.

Ostensibly, the PSN Pass is about improving Sony's online offerings. In a statement, Sony said that the move was part of an initiative that would allow it to "accelerate [its] commitment to enhancing premium online services across our first party game portfolio." What seems much more likely however, is that Sony is trying to encourage people to buy new copies of its games, rather than oick them up used. While the statement doesn't specify what will happen with pre-owned copies, presumably, consumers will be required to pay a small fee to gain access to the content, as is the case with similar schemes from other publishers.

It's not a mystery as to why publishers want people to buy new copies - they make more money that way - and giving people reasons to want to buy new makes a lot of sense. What's sad is just how many publishers take this idea and use it as a stick to threaten consumers with, rather than a carrot to encourage them. Sony might make the argument that the multiplayer mode in Resistance 3 is a service as much as a feature, but that seems disingenuous, especially when you consider the importance placed on multiplayer in the FPS genre today.

Resistance 3, and the PSN Pass along with it, come out for PS3 on September 6th.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/psn-pass-is-official/032072]

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Attention Sony

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Seriously, you really don't have enough good will at the moment to pull off crap like this.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
They can keep their fancy shmancy pass, I'm not buying Resistance 3 anyway.

Lets just hope Uncharted 3 doesn't pull this crap.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
I really don't see the problem with these. Well, so long as used game consumer gits can still purchase the missing content somehow, for a modest price. And I like how, in Resistance's case anyway, they are only removing online services. That way people without access to the internet (and the PSN store) in the first place won't be eff'd.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Ugh, not this stuff again.

Look, I get why EA and the like really want this kind of system to work. I don't think the online pass system really punishes people buying used game as much as people say it does, at least I don't think the publishers/developers intend for it to punish their customers. It still lets everyone play the game, and it increases the revenue that the publishers/developer desperately need.

But they never seem to really implement it in a good way. It's always "here's a code, you loyal customer, now put it in and wait even longer to play your damn game!" and they make it seem like it's a crime to try and get the best deal you can. I don't really know what else they can do to make it seem less like money gouging, but that's what it feels like in the end.

Maybe Sony'll implement it in a better way. Highly doubt it, though.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Simple Bluff said:
I really don't see the problem with these. Well, so long as used game consumer gits can still purchase the missing content somehow, for a modest price. And I like how, in Resistance's case anyway, they are only removing online services. That way people without access to the internet (and the PSN store) in the first place won't be eff'd.
It's a cash grab, that's what wrong with it and eventually they will use these activation codes to destroy the used market for console games just as they did for PC games. If that is what you want, then support this kind of stuff but if it isn't what you want, you need to start opposing it now before we reach the point of no return.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
I can think of one very apt response to this.

Seriously Sony, after the recent spate of bullshit, hacks and the external stealing of customer's information, do you REALLY think your consumers have enough good will and faith in you left to idly sit by and accept this?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Sony might make the argument that the multiplayer mode in Resistance 3 is a service as much as a feature, but that seems disingenuous, especially when you consider the importance placed on multiplayer in the FPS genre today.
Yeah...

The only reason I hate the online pass model is that almost all games put so much focus on multiplayer, especially FPSes...so you need to buy the multiplayer pass if you want to play the actual 'game' part since the campaign is treated as a tutorial.

A viable solution would be to start focusing on the single player again, but that won't happen. When was the last game that focused on single player besides LA Noire? It's probably somewhere back in the PS2 era.

Master Kuja said:
I can think of one very apt response to this.

Seriously Sony, after the recent spate of bullshit, hacks and the external stealing of customer's information, do you REALLY think your consumers have enough good will and faith in you left to idly sit by and accept this?
They accept it with every other company, so...yes.

Black Watch

Aug 9, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
It's not a mystery as to why publishers want people to buy new copies - they make more money that way - and giving people reasons to want to buy new makes a lot of sense. What's sad is just how many publishers take this idea and use it as a stick to threaten consumers with, rather than a carrot to encourage them. Sony might make the argument that the multiplayer mode in Resistance 3 is a service as much as a feature, but that seems disingenuous, especially when you consider the importance placed on multiplayer in the FPS genre today.
I rather buy something new than piss on the people that work on something for hours on end. You know how much money the developers and publishers make off of someone buying something used at Gamestop or GAME? Nothing. They don't see a single red cent and that is lost revenue.

Oh, and you know what they do with revenue? They use it to fund future projects, expand, and improve the quality of their services and products. By picking up something used, you aren't supporting anyone but the store itself.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Black Watch said:
Logan Westbrook said:
I rather buy something new than piss on the people that work on something for hours on end. You know how much money the developers and publishers make off of someone buying something used at Gamestop or GAME? Nothing. They don't see a single red cent and that is lost revenue.

Oh, and you know what they do with revenue? They use it to fund future projects, expand, and improve the quality of their services and products. By picking up something used, you aren't supporting anyone but the store itself.
Do you know how much Coke makes off of each PS3 sold? Nothing and for the same reason that devs don't make anything off of used games sales, BECAUSE THEY AREN'T ENTITLED TO THE MONEY.

Bunch of brainwashed gamers think the First Sale Doctrine doesn't apply to video games. It applies to everything that can be legally sold to the general public in the first place.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Black Watch said:
Logan Westbrook said:

But what your saying about publishers and developers getting there moneys worth for what they do can also be applied to places like game. They to need money to survive and more money equals better and more jobs. Just saying there are two sides to every story.

Anyway. What about people who rent games? Should they bu punished for not being able to buy a full game or for wanting to test the game out before buying? I hope this is never fully implemented anywhere else.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Crono1973 said:
Simple Bluff said:
It's a cash grab, that's what wrong with it and eventually they will use these activation codes to destroy the used market for console games just as they did for PC games. If that is what you want, then support this kind of stuff but if it isn't what you want, you need to start opposing it now before we reach the point of no return.
It is not a cash grab so much as ensuring they get as much profit as possible from purchases of their games. They are losing money if you buy used and this is their way of persuading you to buy it new.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Black Watch said:
Logan Westbrook said:

Urr, yes, I know that publishers and developers don't make money off pre-owned game sales. I think you might have misunderstood the "they make more money that way" comment. Also, I know what revenue is, and what it's used for.

If you re-read the section you quoted, you'll see that I say that giving people incentives to buy new games is a good thing. The problem, I continue, is how publishers are deciding to do it.

Dec 27, 2010
Wado Rhyu said:
and that will prefent me from buying that ps3 tommorrow
Really? That's pretty drastic, considering Resistance's competitive multiplayer isn't that good.

Anyway this is pretty much bullsh*t, but I suppose I always buy new when I genuinely want a game.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Bags159 said:
Crono1973 said:
Simple Bluff said:
It is not a cash grab so much as ensuring they get as much profit as possible from purchases of their games. They are losing money if you buy used and this is their way of persuading you to buy it new.
Yes, it is a cash grab, every copy of the game that is played online was bought new. If it changes hands then there is still only person per copy of the game playing online. So, it costs them nothing extra to maintain servers than they would already be paying for if the original owner had kept the game and played online. It's a cash grab.

Put it another way.

I buy Game for $60 and I keep it. They have made $60 and I can play online forever.

I buy Game for $60 and I resell it and the new owner pays another $10 for multiplayer. They have now made $70 off the game. Add $10 to everytime that game changes hands.

Now no matter which happens, they only have one person on their servers at any given time with that one copy of the game so the extra $10 every time it changes hands is pure profit. It isn't going to maintain server costs, that cost was paid when I bought the game NEW for $60.

How exactly, are they losing money from a used sale?

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Crono1973 said:
How exactly, are they losing money from a used sale?
Because instead of getting two purchases for the game for retail price they only receive one.