Uncharted Movie Bags New Director

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Uncharted Movie Bags New Director

The new director is also bringing a new take on the movie, one that gamers should be much more familiar with.

A new director has stepped up to the plate for the Uncharted movie. Replacing David O. Russell is director Neil Burger, whose work includes The Illusionist and this year's Limitless, which starred Bradley Cooper and Robert De Niro.

Burger landed the job, which also includes writing the script, after impressing the studio and producers with his vision for the movie. His interpretation said to be much closer to the original games, which isn't entirely surprising as it was creative differences between Russell and Sony that led to Russell's departure from the project. Russell wanted Drake to be part of a shadowy family that policed the world's trade in antiquities, a plot element that presumably has now been ditched.

It's not clear what this means for the movie's cast either. Mark Wahlberg was supposed to star as Drake, but he and Russell seemed to come as a set. That's not to say that Wahlberg won't end up being in the movie, but it does raise a question mark over his involvement. Russell was also apparently keen to have Robert de Niro and Joe Pesci in the movie, but they were supposed to play Drake's father and uncle, and if the film will be closer to the game then it's likely those parts don't even exist anymore.

There's no indication as to when the movie will come out - hardly surprising as it isn't even written yet - but the next Uncharted game, Drake's Deception, comes out for PS3 on November 11th.

Source: Variety [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118039547?categoryid=4076&cs=1&cmpid]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
There's no indication as to when the movie will come out - hardly surprising as it isn't even written yet - but the next Uncharted game, Drake's Deception, comes out for PS3 on November 11th.
And what a game it will be! Judging from the Beta, at least.

As for the movie...eh...I really just don't see why Nolan North can't just play Drake.

Pompey71

May 31, 2009
Nathan may be a little TV "plump" but look what Arnie did for Terminator Salvation! ... what's CGI? .. oh darn...

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
This will probably jinx everything and bring about the apocalypse but...

It couldn't possibly get any worse than before could it?

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Neil Burger is a perfect fit, glad they got him onboard. This movie probably won't be 'TEH BEST EVAR', but judging by Limitless it should still be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Which is ahead of most game adaptations, since they're all terrible.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Meh. Video game to movie adaption.

I really wouldn't bother getting excited.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
The new director is also bringing a new take on the movie, one that gamers should be much more familiar with.
Might want to fix that. ;)

OT: I'm still disappointed the Russell isn't directing and that Wahlberg likely isn't starring, but just seeing an Uncharted movie would be something interesting, so if they're moving ahead with it, good on them.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The games are good but thats what they are, GOOD GAMES. The best of the game is the gameplay so it doesnt make sense to pass it to another medium that completely removes what is best of it.

Just because the game is good it doesnt mean that it will be a good movie too, or a book, or a music, or a painting, or another form of art.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Good news Everyone!

The 'Flash in a Pan' Uncharted franchise announces its movie has a new director, script, and may be closer to the actual ideas in the game?!

This makes me smile : )

EDIT: Nathan Fillion is a bit too old and plump for this role. But it would still be awesome if he was Drake.
Something tells me MovieBobs comments have rubbed you the wrong way. ;P

OT: I hope they stick with this Director and not be constantly swapping them out.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
His name makes me smile... That's basically it. Haven't played the games, won't care about the movie unless Nathan Fillion gets the role, which is unlikely.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Catchy Slogan said:
Sober Thal said:
Good news Everyone!

The 'Flash in a Pan' Uncharted franchise announces its movie has a new director, script, and may be closer to the actual ideas in the game?!

This makes me smile : )

EDIT: Nathan Fillion is a bit too old and plump for this role. But it would still be awesome if he was Drake.
Something tells me MovieBobs comments have rubbed you the wrong way. ;P
Why... whatever do you mean??

(Actually it was the game overthinker guy first)
It couldn't possibly be because of this

Sober Thal said:
The Hitman and Uncharted franchises are just a 'flash in the pan', eh Movie Bob?

That's the most obscene thing I've heard all week. Not that I should be surprised, Bob does love to flame bait.
Nope, No siree. I don't know where I got that idea from. Silly me, I must of imagined it :D

(Also, I know he was the GameOverThinker aswell, just most folk round here refer to him as 'MovieBob')

:p

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Unless they get Nathan Fillion in on this I don't even care, yes The Illusionist was excellent but these game-movie transitions have many twisty paths all alike.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
SpcyhknBC said:
And now another campaign to get Nathan Fillion as Nathan Drake begins
Yes god yes. Get rid of Walburg. He is terrible.

Nathan Fillion "is" Nathan Drake. How can people not see this.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
A very good director for a decent game series? And one that wants the story to follow the game? Oooh me likes. I really wouldn't mind Bradley Cooper in this role.