Nintendo Hushed on New DS Redesign

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Nintendo Hushed on New DS Redesign

Another DS redesign is practically inevitable, but do the latest internet rumblings ring with truth?

Over the weekend, news reports out of Japan suggested a newly redesigned Nintendo DS model featuring expanded non-gaming functionality is on its way. The new model will include improved wireless capabilities, a built-in camera, and music playing functions, reports Nikkei Net [http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/09/nikkei-new-nint.html#more], the online edition of Japan's leading corporate and economic newspaper. The upgraded DS is expected to launch in Japan sometime this year with plans for an eventual U.S. release still being explored. Could the company be positioning the DS to compete with the iPod, cell phone, and other non-gaming specific gadget markets?

NOA President Reggie Fils-Aime is sales data [http://gonintendo.com/?p=55064] places the DS at the top of the pack.

Not surprisingly, Nintendo will neither confirm nor deny [http://kotaku.com/5056082/nintendo-on-that-new-ds-rumor] the reported DS upgrade. "We are always developing new products. However, since nothing has been announced officially, we are unable to comment at this time," the company said in a recently issued statement.

Whether or not any official word about a potential redesign will come out of Nintendo's upcoming media briefings in Tokyo and San Francisco later this week is still to be seen. Anything is possible.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I can understand an upgrade for the wi-fi that seems like an improvement for me, but the rest of the stuff just a waste of space and a way to charge extra for the new design, this is why I've never liked cellphones, it can't just be a phone it also has to be a camera,internet link, instant messaging device,cheese grater etc. etc., why can't they just keep things simple.

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
All I want is a tight seal between the bottom screen and the housing. So sick of dust working in there and mucking up the screen sensitivity.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
A camera? Really? Why...I don't see a point in that or the music playing functionality.

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
Maybe to rip off the PSP and definitely pound it into the ground as the current most popular handheld... Music players... I wonder if they're going to make cards with MicroSD docking slots like the linkers...

Anyway I doubt I'll really care about it until my current DS's screens are both dead...

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I think Nintendo's new strategy is to go for a Willy Wonka complex, what with the overly subtle hints at upcoming big titles, word-of-mouth advertising strategy, and quirky marketing campaigns.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they had orange midgets working for them either.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Khell_Sennet post=7.72740.771896 said:
Mr.Pandah post=7.72740.771850 said:
A camera? Really? Why...I don't see a point in that or the music playing functionality.
Oh a camera makes perfect sense. First they had us yelling at the damn thing, now they'll have us waving at it while we yell. All they need to do is put some function in there where we must drool and the DS will cause people to be mistaken for lunatics who need to be locked away.
Haha very true, very true. I can see it now Warioware:Lights, CAMERA, Action!. Oh God, were screwed >_<