EA Signs 300 Director To Development Deal

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Signs 300 Director To Development Deal

Zack Snyder [http://www.ea.com] to a three-game development deal, leading gamers around the world to wonder, "Zack who?"

Snyder, a movie director best known for his adaptation of Frank Miller's Variety [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416449/]. The games will be developed by EA Los Angeles, with EA owning the intellectual properties while Snyder retains the rights to convert them into movies in the future.

"I think videogames are cool because they offer an opportunity to tell a story in an entirely unique way," Snyder said. "Being a long time fan of the games EA creates, I look forward to collaborating with them."

"Zack Snyder has a fresh and bold creative style that resonates with our core audience," added EA Games President Frank Gibeau. "Zack is the perfect partner for joining us in creating powerful new interactive fiction."

Snyder's "fresh and bold creative style" is presumably visible in his previous work as a movie director, which includes the 2004 remake of the classic zombie film Watchmen [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363547/], a film version of the classic Alan Moore comic series. At EA, apparently, "freshness and boldness" means being able to translate someone else's creative work to a different medium.

Financial terms of the deal have not been disclosed, nor have any details about the titles being developed as a result of this deal, or of Snyder's qualifications to develop games in the first place, beyond thinking they're "cool."

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
Nice, I've always liked his visual style. I've just got to wonder if it'll translate well to games...

Also, someone please make a "Sparta!" joke soon, or I'm gonna have to do it.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Oh joy. They gave Zack Snyder the same deal as Spielberg. Way to boost his ego. This is the guy that would still be going around saying Alan Moore had endorsed the Watchmen film if it weren't for the fact he'd been called out on it by Moore himself. What EA means is that 300 was a highly popular movie with a ton of fantastically rendered CGI and special effects, and a ridiculous story, much in the vein of the action games EA creates, so Snyder will be right at home.

SargentToughie

Jun 14, 2008
TheBadass post=7.72756.772030 said:
Also, someone please make a "Sparta!" joke soon, or I'm gonna have to do it.
Hold fast against this proposal, my brothers, A Sparta joke is too predictable to be of any comedic value to us this day

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I don't see how a guy whose entire career thus far is based on remakes and adaptations rates something like this. What has he done to deserve it?

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Malygris post=7.72756.772214 said:
I don't see how a guy whose entire career thus far is based on remakes and adaptations rates something like this. What has he done to deserve it?
Maybe staying close enough to the source material as to not cause the original creators to vomit in disgust. Something that Uwe Boll can't claim. Besides EA mostly does remakes these days, so it is a match made in heaven.