Left 4 Dead 2 Fans Swarm Valve Challenge

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Left 4 Dead 2 Fans Swarm Valve Challenge

The "Dead Air" downloadable content add-on for Left 4 Dead 2 will launch a bit ahead of schedule, thanks to the frightening dedication of the game's fanbase.

On Wednesday, July 6, Valve Software challenged the Left 4 Dead 2 fanbase to earn the "Stream Crosser" achievement 20,000 times by the evening of Sunday, July 10. The achievement is unlocked once a player has survived the "Cold Stream" campaign on any difficulty. The challenge, Valve claims, served both as a promotional tool for that particular campaign, but also as a stress test to see how well it could withstand an immense flood of players.

Since I swore off hyperbole for Lent, when I say "immense flood," I mean just that. According to the official Left 4 Dead blog, fans had bested Valve's challenge only four hours after it began. After 24 hours, the achievement had been unlocked over 60,000 times.

Valve is nothing if not appreciative and unexpectedly generous. Thus:

Since you hit your mark, this means we are going to unlock Dead Air early. We are going to try and release it as early as possible but will release it on July 22nd the latest.

L4D2 players not suffering from short-term memory loss will recall "Dead Air" as a campaign from the original Left 4 Dead [http://left4dead.wikia.com/wiki/Dead_Air] that featured the game's four protagonists slaughtering zombies through an airport en route to boarding an airplane constructed entirely of predictable plot twists.

So far the latest L4D2 DLC is exclusive to the PC platform, though Valve has yet to rule out its future appearance on the game's Xbox 360 iteration.

Originally I was going to draw a clever parallel between the slavish dedication of the Left 4 Dead fanbase and the hordes of virtual zombies they routinely slaughter, but in hindsight, that seems a bit obvious.

It's almost too obvious. As if Valve created this entire challenge specifically to insinuate its vice-like grip on the hearts and minds of its fans. "Watch as I make them dance to and fro," Gabe Newell monologues to no one in particular.

Now you know how Valve can afford to issue free DLC updates for year-old games: you've already paid for the extra content with your very soul.

Source: Left 4 Dead Blog [http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=5803]

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
It's nice to see that the PC version is getting it earlier :) As for the 360 boys, I guess they're ... left for dead. YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
last I checked my soul got me awesome steam deals, besides I wasnt using it, or convinced of it existing

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
So basically they're trying to phase out L4D with L4D2 updates....wish they started doing that sooner.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I did that achievement to get a ticket..

Had 12 tickets when summer camp was over, though i have not heard from Valve since, so im guessing it means that i have not won anything at all..

But luckily i got Portal 2 at 50% off, fantastic game..

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Hells yes! This news is great.
Wait, let me rephrase that : this is great news!
Yeah, that sounded better.
Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this. I am a bit afraid that it'll be weird with the new infected (loved L4D1). All those camping spots to hold out are all useless thanks to a certain infected that likes to wear a thong and spits acidic goo. Lovely...

But i didn't even know they made this challenge, even tho i occasionally check the L4D2 forums... where did they announce this?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
It's almost too obvious. As if Valve created this entire challenge specifically to insinuate its vice-like grip on the hearts and minds of its fans. "Watch as I make them dance to and fro," Gabe Newell monologues to no one in particular.

Now you know how Valve can afford to issue free DLC updates for year-old games: you've already paid for the extra content with your very soul.
i wish the hordes of valve fanboys on this site realized that they're just a means to an end as much as onlookers do.

they love to champion valve as the messiah of gaming, when in reality they may just be the antichrist of it. their acts DO seem too generous for what is, in reality, a CORPORATION

MisguidedTerran

Dec 7, 2009
Hey Owf, the achievement showed up in the Steam Summer Camp activities for a prize ticket. However, the update news threw down the gauntlet with the challenge. So in the end, even those oblivious to the challenge helped out. Turned out win-win for us Lefters.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Worgen said:
last I checked my soul got me awesome steam deals, besides I wasnt using it, or convinced of it existing
You're doing it all wrong! You don't pay with your soul. Any 3 hobo souls nets you the equivalent deals, and you can't get melted by holy water :D

OT: that's pretty impressive, and further cements VALVe as 'cool guys' in my book (not that they needed any more cement).

(protip: Jam or honey jars work best whilst collecting souls, keeps 'em trapped.)

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
My soul is a tiny price for having steam. And Valve is the only company I would trust not to mishandle my soul, so it's cool.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Thanks for reminding me now i have to go play enough TF2 to unlock my next hat and forget about this.

Not G. Ivingname said:
That only happens just before Episode 3 comes out.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I mainly played Cold Stream for the ticket, and not for unlocking Dead Air. And to be honest, I was really disappointed with the campaign. I played it with 3 other guys who did all the previous campaigns on expert with me. We got freaking lost a couple of times and just couldn't figure out where to go. Seriously, I remember watching the developer commentary about how they used visual cues like lighting and signs to guide players to the next point, this really wasn't apparent in Cold Steam. The point where you have to climb up and over the truck, we were wandering for a good 3-4 mins before we found the way up. Later the section with the running water in the pipe, we didn't see that obscenely dark door on the side and went to our deaths. Then the finale, I was the only one to notice the chopper while my friends ended up going forward and eventually hitting a dead end and got overrun.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Probably helped that the achievement also won you a ticket for the Summer Camp promotion. I popped on L4D2 to get that achievement and the ticket. I wasn't even aware of this other thing. :p

Rednog said:
The point where you have to climb up and over the truck, we were wandering for a good 3-4 mins before we found the way up.
I did the same, except I was alone so I had the AI following me around constantly. I wanted to tell them "Sorry guys, I have no idea where I'm going."

And then in the last safehouse, I thought the game had glitched on me because I couldn't get the door open. Eventually I noticed the radio and felt stupid as I thought it was just a prop. Maybe that one was more apparent to people who play more than I do though. Or maybe it was because of all the ham radios you find in Fallout 3 that don't do anything that made me overlook it (I've been playing a lot of Fallout 3 recently).

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
I'm sure the co-operation reward poi... erm... I mean "Steam Camp Prize Ticket" offered for getting the achievement had nothing whatsoever to do this! =p

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I bought l4d2 on xbox last year, had it gifted to me on pc so I could play with my friends there as well.

At the time of the sale the game cost less than 1 of the dlcs on xbox and it came with all the dlcs.

Same with Battle field bad company 2, I got the original game, the spectact bundle, and vietnam expansion for 10 bucks in contrast to the near 70 it would have on consoles.

consoles need to step their god damn game up.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
i wish the hordes of valve fanboys on this site realized that they're just a means to an end as much as onlookers do.

they love to champion valve as the messiah of gaming, when in reality they may just be the antichrist of it. their acts DO seem too generous for what is, in reality, a CORPORATION
At the end of the day what counts is that I'm getting games 75% cheaper. It's not like it really matters whether that's being done by a communist hippie, or a corporate overlord.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Azaraxzealot said:
they love to champion valve as the messiah of gaming, when in reality they may just be the antichrist of it.
While there is admittedly a copious amount of Valve fanboyism around here, people like you represent the other end of the spectrum of crazies. I mean, seriously? Antichrist?

Or maybe you're just a console fanboy disgruntled with the fact that you can't get any Steam goodness. ;)