169: Phantom on the Tokyo Metro

Brandon Carper

Sep 29, 2008
Phantom on the Tokyo Metro

"The train pulls into Kagurazaka, and from the platform I see a foreign guy shove a big-ass kanji dictionary into his backpack and stand up. He was sitting next to this Japanese girl playing Game Boy - she's wearing cowboy boots and blue jeans so tight they follow the tops of her thighs down before heading up her waist. I edge forward, brush past both of them, and snag the seat next to the girl. I glance over - her rack is huge for an Asian - and I notice she's playing Tetris. Awesome. I can talk Tetris, even in Japanese."

Read Full Article

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Wow, I was wondering where you were going with that but the end result was great. Ever been to Tokyo?

anachron

Jun 4, 2008
Haha, this was brilliant.

I'm curious now as to whether or not "Rox" is genuinely circulating slang.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
You know, its a rare occurrence for me to read a full article on here, especially on a work day. Good work, very entertaining.

Gerafin

May 8, 2008
Well done indeed. That last page really pulled it together well, even if it was a bit predictable.

Jannix

Oct 17, 2007
I felt sorry for Andrew because he was genuinely interested in the culture and learning about it but everyone was still laughing at him.

Dogeman5

Apr 8, 2008
I thought it was funny cause I'm now in Japanese (I only know 25 Hiragana letters)
My Teacher joked about how foriegners typically behave on the carts

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Jannix post=6.72826.776011 said:
I felt sorry for Andrew because he was genuinely interested in the culture and learning about it but everyone was still laughing at him.
I felt sorry for Andrew too, but it goes away once you realise he wasn't interested in the girl, more that fact she's Japanese.

The article made me smirk. It's one of those "Oh, I get it..." one. Thank you for the great read.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
You're an excellent writer. This was very well put together and interesting! I hope to see a lot more like this.

Brandon Carper

Sep 29, 2008
Eagle Est1986 post=6.72826.774816 said:
Ever been to Tokyo?
Yeah, once. (Apart from the airport, there's little of interest in Chiba--it's not even in the index of most guidebooks. But if William Gibson's right, it'll eventually make up for that by evolving into a cyberpunk dystopia.)

spartyblb

Sep 11, 2008
Your Characters are very clearly defined and While I do not think I would want to spend more then five minutes with any of them (except maybe anjuru) I Felt they where all real people.
Superb!

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Loved it! This article clearly points out the fact, that many people traveling to another country tends to think the locals are retarded or easy pickings, just because they don't speak your language (english in this case). But people in different cultures can be smart, witty and complicated, just like your average fellow countrymen. They are just that...different, but not retarded or in any way lesser than you. Don't underestimate foreigners, especially if you are on their turf!
This is a good advice I got from a friend of mine, who lived in Argentina and Japan for years.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Good read. The twist was done well, and the characters were solid. Hitomi's payback was funny, and it was both an effective means to wrap up the threads, as well as give the whole piece a positive tone. Not bad at all.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
This was a little hard to follow; since each tale was in first person, there wasn't a different enough 'voice' in each character for me to easily make the break between one character and another. Once I got the hang of it, the story was almost over. Enjoyable though.

Prozoquel

May 14, 2008
Very nice story, I was a bit confused through the first two pages but at the end it gave me a good laugh. And I know those kind of stereotypes; this one kid at my school told me how easy women are to get in Japan, how if I went there with him we'd get action every night. I'm glad to see this article showed what idiots people like that are.