Nintendo 3DS Update Includes Netflix Streaming

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Nintendo 3DS Update Includes Netflix Streaming

The long-awaited update allows content streaming via Netflix for subscribers with unlimited accounts.

Japanese owners of a Nintendo 3DS will get access to the Video Store application today, but those of us stuck in other regions won't get that functionality until later this summer. Perhaps offered in compensation for the delay abroad - and perhaps for the increased subscription rates [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111610-Netflix-Splits-Streaming-and-DVD-by-Mail-Services] - Nintendo will push out the free Netflix streaming application in its update tomorrow. If you have an unlimited streaming sub, and a wireless connection for your 3DS, then you'll be able to watch every piece of content that Netflix offers on your tiny handheld screen in horribly ugly 2D.

"This free downloadable application allows Netflix members with an unlimited streaming plan, a Nintendo 3DS™ system and a broadband Internet connection to instantly watch TV shows and movies on their Nintendo 3DS," says Nintendo's website showing the details of the update.

You'll also have access to a few new downloadable titles from Nintendo's eShop: Baseball, Puzzle Fever, Just SING! 80s Collection, 3D Pixel Racing, AfterZoom, Game & Watch Gallery and the title that I'm looking forward to the most, Extreme Hangman 2! Finally!

While I could see the Netflix application having limited use in your home, it will be awesome to watch a show here or there while traveling or sipping an espresso at your local coffee shop - provided you can pilfer some free wireless internet. If the shop doesn't offer it for free, you can always hack into the local Starbucks network.

Hint: the password is "Spicy!! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzCXV8pw8wo]"

Source: Joystiq [http://www.news2know.net/nintendo/download-071411.php]

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
This is pretty exciting, my 3DS will now have Netflix compatability. Hopefully, in the future, it'll be able to stream in 3D. Which would just mean ANOTHER function my PC used to cover is delegated to yet another device... Tee hee.

Personally I'm after Gamwe & Watch Gallery. That'll be fun. Will it be in 3D?!

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
I don't know if I could just watch the 3DS screen for that long... netflix should really belong on the TVs. I'm not entirely sold on the idea of watching on a laptop, but it definitely needs a screen larger than the 3DS.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Tomorrow? Oh wow, you don't know how long I've been waiting for this. I'm pretty pumped for this. Now I can finally finish season 4 of Weeds on the go!

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
but erm...they say 3DS will get Netflix for other regions later this summer...how about countries that don't have netflix? =(

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Netflix should be on TVs only. I associate it with leisure, not on the go stuff. It would be useful on an airplane, but my laptop can accomplish that easily, with a bigger screen. Car rides would suit it if the 3DS had a decent battery life.

When are these companies like Sony and Nintendo going to stop packing their products with ridiculous gimmicks and features? (I'm looking at you touch pad on the back of the Vita)

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Hmm...so you need to be near a wireless internet connection to stream Netflix and most of the time that means you are at home, where you could just watch it on your HDTV. I don't see the benefit here.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
If my future job involves heavy travel, I could actually see this as being useful.
While I know that several new phones/blackberries/etc carry similar features, I prefer to spare my phone's battery for business reasons (I've been burned before by abusing my phone's battery when on call. Trust me, it sucks).

Beyond that, I'm still going to have to give this an overwhelming
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Atmos Duality said:
If my future job involves heavy travel, I could actually see this as being useful.
While I know that several new phones/blackberries/etc carry similar features, I prefer to spare my phone's battery for business reasons (I've been burned before by abusing my phone's battery when on call. Trust me, it sucks).

3DS has poor battery life. Maybe they should have said "Watch half a movie on your 3DS now and the other half after you recharge it".

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
xXAsherahXx said:
When are these companies like Sony and Nintendo going to stop packing their products with ridiculous gimmicks and features? (I'm looking at you touch pad on the back of the Vita)
Yeah i have to fully agree with you on that i mean the whole packing of gimmicks into their products has been going on for the past few years with little innovation and it just shows sometimes that they are just lazy using an already used idea

Examples of used ideas and what they came to be: Nintendo power glove = Wii mote, Virtual Boy = 3DS, PS Move = Wii mote again, Natal = PS Eye Toy the list goes on and it's kind of sad that the idea keeps getting rehashed for just quick money instead of taking quite a few years fine tuning the idea they wish to improve so it doesn't look like some cheap gimmick.

OT: Yeah i still don't care for Netflix as much because i don't have it here but i still believe that it should remain on TV's because the 3DS does have a very small battery life and when hooked up to a power source you may as well be using Netflix on the tv instead so the point of having Netflix on the 3DS is moot.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Atmos Duality said:

3DS has poor battery life. Maybe they should have said "Watch half a movie on your 3DS now and the other half after you recharge it".
Does it now? What's the current average battery life?

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
Well to certain extent I agree full flege movie's should be watched on TV's but I think the 3DS is perfect for just TV shows and I could see me using this at an airport, train station, at my house when I dont feel like turning on the laptop or PS3, ect. there are many uses and I could just get the shock n rock pack to extend the battery life 10 fold if I'm going to be away from a charging station.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Atmos Duality said:
Crono1973 said:
Atmos Duality said:

Does it now? What's the current average battery life?
3-5 hours for a 3DS game. That would be with the 3D turned on I imagine. For Netflix the 3D would not be on but the Wi-Fi would.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Wow, bad timing on the whole Netflix thing with Netflix bending their customers over a barrel without the courtesy of a reach around and all . . . .

badmunky64

Sep 19, 2007
I can already stream netflix on my droid x. Still nice to have on another handheld. It would be sick if I could stream movies in 3D like Avatar and Tron

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Atmos Duality said:

Are most movies six hours long?