Metro: Last Light Gameplay Trailer Debuts

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Metro: Last Light Gameplay Trailer Debuts

The first Metro: Last Light [http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Last-Light-Pc/dp/B0053BSMPQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1310660204&sr=8-3] gameplay video is out and the action looks a little more shooterrific than our last foray through the Moscow underground.

I won't defend Metro 2033 [http://www.amazon.com/Metro-2033-Pc/dp/B002V14VOC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1310660204&sr=8-5] as perfect but I will say that I loved it, and that I didn't find its warts nearly as pronounced as a lot of other gamers. The stealth mechanic was twitchy, but stealth is hard, and the craptastic guns were a central part of the experience; the last remnants of humanity are living underground like rats, so it's hardly reasonable to expect everyone to be running around with the latest Austrian assault rifle.

Given the nature of the first game, I have to wonder a bit about the presence of a minigun in this demo. Bullets are a scarce resource in the Metro world, hard enough to come by that the good ones are actually used as currency, so hosing down a half-dozen Reich goons as they come through a door is fun but hardly cost-effective. It's possible that the segment is a one-off set-piece built around an old, salvaged weapon that just happened to be left lying around, but regardless of the specifics I hope the new game doesn't give up the primitive, cobbled-together feel of the original.

Also interesting in the recently-released Prologue video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uETjtLogTSM] that precedes this gameplay segment. According to the narration, the Dark Ones have been "scorched from the Earth," suggesting that the "bad ending" from Metro 2033 is actually canon - which, when I think about it, is pretty much par for the course for Russian shooters.

Metro: Last Light is scheduled for release in the first half of 2012 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
Its looking good, especially the shooting. It looks to have been made better from the slightly clunky shooting of the first game. And i'm also glad to see you playing as Artyom again. :)

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
2033 is one of the best shooters I've played in years, so I'm more than wiling to give them the benefit of the doubt and not judge the tone of an 8-10 hour game on a 2 minute clip.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Interesting, but I'm not too sure I like the look of that knife action. That went a little too quick and CoD-like for my taste, and if my memory is correct (disclaimer; it isn't very often) it wasn't like that in Metro 2033.

As for the rest, looks and sounds very Metro-like, yes even the minigun, but I'm especially curious about what they're going to do with the above-ground parts, arguably the best and most immersive parts of Metro 2033. But it seems that the 'cobbled together' look stays intact, judging from the other weapons Artyom used.

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
Quite honestly I'm not that incredibly excited for 2034's improved shooting. Not being able to kill things with ease because of your shitty guns was a big part of what made it scary.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
You can stealth most of Frontline but it's not easy and you're almost certainly going to have to do some killing. I gave up once I got over to the Reich side and ran into some guys - at that point it was easier to just blast my way to the exit. Great level.

And I maintain that the stealth isn't broken, it's just really hard - which is as it should be.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
Yeah, I cringed when Artyom grabbed a freakin' minigun and hosed down half a dozen nazis. In all fairness, the first game did let you blow up an apc with a stationary machine gun and it gave that huge ass machine-auto shotgun. So, yeah it's lookin' really good. I'm much more interested in the storyline.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Yeah thumbs up, I finished my first play through of metro 2033 about a week ago and its definitely a great game IMO, so stoked for more of the same.

Also I've seen people in other threads and this saying metro2033 was hard... wtf? grow some brains and some rudimentary skills people! not to mention a modicum patience.
Metro 2003 was EASY, certainly compared to some games I've played, easy enough for me to complete it in 11 hours on normal without any reference to a walkthough and without any frustration... hell, I've been stuck in games for longer than that without looking at a walkthough (baldurs gate)...

About the minigun thing.. looked like it had a pressure gauge to me, which would mean it was pneumatic ball-bearing Gatling gun or something like that.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Man, I remember just about coming out of my seat when that guy opened the door and grabbed me at the end. But the 6:00 mark is about where I gave up on it too. I figured I did pretty well with the stealthing to get that far, and I needed to blow off some steam. :)

Dr.Nick

Mar 26, 2009
Those sound more like bugs though and of course I don't think the bugs were perfect =P

itezel2

Mar 17, 2011
is that a geiger counter on your gun?
and why don't you simply have night vision?