Rube Goldberg Machine Becomes World's Most Complicated Camera

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rube Goldberg Machine Becomes World's Most Complicated Camera

There have to be easier ways to take a photo than this - though few are cooler.

We here at The Escapist are more than pony badge contest [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109423-World-Record-Rube-Goldberg-Machine-Traces-All-of-History-in-244-Steps] back in the day!

The video you see here to the right is a photography-themed Rube Goldberg machine created by the photo wizzes at fake photo booths [http://2dphotography.ca/blog/2011/07/rube-goldberg/]).

As with all good Rube Goldberg machines, though, the complexity eventually leads to a very mundane end. But that's okay; these things are all about the journey rather than the result, right?

I'm not sure how much all this photography equipment costs, but fellow newsie Mike "vansau" Thompson - a photographer himself - estimates that it cost about "a buttload" of money.

Sounds about right.

(Geeks Are Sexy [http://2dphotography.ca/blog/2011/07/rube-goldberg/])

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
I love these things. But I'd hate to be the poor guy who lost "Not it" and had to clean up everything.

May 5, 2010
I believe this is...somewhat...relevant....

Actually, the camera one was cooler, in my opinion. Especially that bit with Mario.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Well that just blew me and my friends minds. God I can't even begin to think how long it must have taken them to plan, build and finally get it running without any problems happening. I loved the mario bit with him jumping on screen at the blocks. :D

the spud

May 2, 2011
No telling how many times it took to get it to work correctly. Also, I made one to feed my dog (he died).

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
I love stuff like this. Do you think they did all of this in one take?

Also, was anyone else a bit worried when they saw a swinging axe at 3:35?

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
they used some really nice techniques i've never seen before

though technically it's not the world's most complicated camera but the world's most complicated button :p

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I love me some Rube Goldberg machines, but this one seemed a bit too long with not enough "wow" moments to keep me entertained. This, on the other hand:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
I believe this is...somewhat...relevant....

I like better. Long enough to be impressive, not too long to bore me, and plenty of cool "wow" moments.

Thanks for sharing both of these videos, guys :)

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Catchy Slogan said:
I love stuff like this. Do you think they did all of this in one take?
Yes it was one take. Not because I have any proof but it would make it that much cooler so yes.

I loved it and I wonder if they would build one to turn on the toaster for me from canada to my house.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
For some reason I have a strange urge to visit www.pennyauctionscanada.com...

OT: Awesome. Not only does it take pictures, but it makes those pictures go on to make more pictures! It's like a void of never-ending picture taking!

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Wow. That was really impressive, for a rube Goldberg Machine. I've seen a few of them before, but this was damn lengthy.

Pretty awesome.