God of War Film Director Confirmed

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
God of War Film Director Confirmed

Kratos will be caving in skulls and wooing the ladies on the big screen with certainty.

In a brief interview with entertainment site UGO this week, director Brett Ratner spilled the beans [http://movieblog.ugo.com/index.php/movieblog/more/brett_ratner_making_god_of_war_film_confirmed/] he's been selected to direct a film adaptation of the über-violent - and consequently, extremely successful - God of War game. The director is known for his work on the Rush Hour series, Red Dragon, and X-Men: The Last Stand. Depending on your movie preferences, this may or may not bode well for the quality of the forthcoming God of War movie.

Ratner went so far as to confirm the much speculated news but offered no details on the film itself. When asked recently by UGO's "Evil Adam" about upcoming projects he's working on, Ratner replied, "Oh God, a few movies. Waiting for the scripts and green lights to come in. A few good things: Playboy, Beverly Hills Cop, God of War."

Given the mature nature of the game, it's still to be seen whether the film will carry an appropriate "R" rating or be toned down slightly for "PG-13" audiences. Violence and sex sells, and God of War has the potential for a box office flop without ample amounts of both.

There's no word yet on who could be tapped to play Kratos, but feel free to post your best guesses or recommendations below.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Wow...im speechless. I LOVED the games. And i think i may love this movie if it ever comes to fruition regardless of how bad it could be.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
I'm probably gonna love the movie even if it sucks, and I know David Jaffe has said he likes him... so I say give him a shot.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
I have to say that they can put as many effects as they want, if the style doesn't work, if the story doesn't work, it will bomb, and nothing tells these elements will be done properly. They could overblow it, too much CGI, too much forced epic music.
However, in terms of action, it should be fine.

And seriously, it's going to be boring, because once you remove play, there's not much left, safe the wrapping.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Well its a movie about a video game. You can pretty much tell it is going to be a bit shabby.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Brett Ratner is in a tight race for worst director in Hollywood. He basically takes franchises established by more talented directors and then uses the momentum to propel the success of his own movies. He's a hack.

Rob-ill

Feb 20, 2010
The movie should NOT!!! be pg 13 the game has nudity in it and do u see how famous it got :p
plus as for the actor Vin diesel would be a good choice.
and pleas i beg the director please we love the game don't mess it up let this movie be the next 300 :p

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
It better be R rated. Also, why choose this director? He isn't exactly famous for making large epic movies.

Red Dragon was a thriller
The Rush Hour movies are buddy-cop movies
X-men: The Last Stand was mediocre...

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
TomNook said:
PG-13 God of War, yeah right...
If PG-13 Max Payne is possible, PG-13 God of War is even more easy to make. Unfortunately.

Anyways, I'll expect Vin Diesel or Jason Statham to be cast. Not because they were the best choice, but because they are action stars who are bald, and therefore will be chosen.

bloodknight13

Jan 24, 2010
anybody else thinking bruce willis as the role of kratos he already has the correct level of badassness required in my book anyone else

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
This outta be good, but im still waiting on the Bioshock movie. Both should be epic if done right.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Liked Rush Hour, Liked Last Stand (Will not be discussing it) and have no idea what Red Dragon is.

I think it'll be good.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
I loved Red Dragon, one of my favorite movies of all time.

As for casting Kratos, Bruce Willis.... Yeah!

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
A PG-13 God of War?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha no.

I like my God of War the way it is thank you very much.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I actually kind of want to see how a PG-13 God of War would play out. I'm not against the idea of an R-rated God of War movie that is actually good, but considering that the odds of that happening are rather miniscule, I fully embrace the idea of a crappified, toned down piece of Hollywood shite.

I'm not being sarcastic about that, either. I'm dead serious. This might be difficult for you to understand; in fact, it's difficult for me to understand. I guess in the case of God of War, I'm comfortable with seeing a trainwreck. I like the series, don't get me wrong, but I don't love it, and I think it may be because of that I don't feel enough of a personal connection to the franchise to be offended by a horrible movie adaptation. In fact, I kind of want to see how it would be possible to screw that up. I'd think it'd be rather difficult to make a God of War film bearing a notable tie to the games that isn't at least watchable.