EA Cancels Tiberium

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Cancels Tiberium

Command & Conquer [http://www.ea.com] themed FPS Tiberium and laid off staff working on the project.

The cancellation was originally announced by Mike Verdu of EA Los Angeles, who said in a memo uncovered by Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5057012/ea-axes-tiberium-for-not-meeting-standards], "It is with a heavy heart that I announce the end to all work on Tiberium, effective immediately. I've consulted with Nick Earl and Frank Gibeau at the EA Games label and together we have reached the conclusion that given the time and resources remaining, we will not be able to deliver this product to an appropriate level of quality."

"The game had fundamental design challenges from the start," he continued. "We fought to correct the issues, but we were not successful; the game just isn't coming together well enough to meet our own quality expectations as well as those of our consumers."

The cancellation was confirmed by EA's Mariam Sughayer, who said, "The game was not on track to meet the high quality standards set by the team and by the EA Games Label. A lower quality game is not in the best interest of the consumers and would not succeed in this market."

"This is the right move for the studio and the company, but it's particularly hard for me because of the impact it will have on our people," Verdu said. "Many individuals contributed their time and talents to this game. I spent time in the trenches with them and I was continually impressed by their work. Moving forward, we need to make sure this doesn't happen again. I believe we are already doing a better job of engineering success in from the start. The quality bar has been raised. Now we need to step up our focus on great design and execution, catching any problems early and correcting them quickly."

EA did not reveal how many people would be laid off as a result of the decision, but said it would "make every effort to place affected individuals on projects within the studio - and where that isn't possible, to connect them with opportunities in other teams at EA." Those that must be released outright will be given severance pay and outplacement support, the company added.

trooper87

Mar 22, 2008
Those good for nothing pieces of crap. And I thought there would be at least closure to the series, but NOOOOOOOOOO they lay of people and cancel the project. Probably for other things like Red Alert 3 and Spore. And probably for worse screwing the sports games as well. The only thing I would look forward to is RA3 and if they ruin that I will NEVER forgive EA and will become an actual hater of the company.

conceptual

Sep 24, 2008
What what what?
Tiberium? Canceled?

Well, it's kind of disappointing, as I was looking forward to this game, but seeing as how this game was being made by EA, my hopes weren't that high. Seriously, can any of you think of a recent EA game that didn't have some sort of critical balance/technical issue? 'cause I can't.

The_root_of_all_evil post=7.72940.778244 said:
Electronic Arts : Not listening to you since 1982.
I loled. So true.

Starnerf

The X makes it sound cool
Jun 26, 2008
EA canceling a game because it doesn't meet their quality standards? Wow, that game must REALLY suck.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
I was hoping that EA were genuine about turning their fucking retarded shite stained image around but they're clearly revelling in the own sloppy, wet turds.

First that online activation and limited installation shit, now this?

Crysis Warhead, bought online, 30?. Costs to EA implementing that DRM crap for Crysis Warhead from SecuRom, Hades only knows. Removal of SecuRom bollocks from my computer, application of a NOCD crack and get the game running perfectly, five minutes. Money well spent all round.

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
To be honest...C&C was never meant to be an FPS, it was always meant to be an RTS. The most successful versions of it have always been RTS. Theres no point in putting the C&C label on it if you arnt the one C&Cing...

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
well This is a surprising turn Around, one more reason to want to stay away from them..

you whould think they may put a delay on the title or even push the release date.., but thats a smart thing to do..

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Whoa, I'm genuinely impressed. A games developer that doesn't think lets make shit titles and flog it off to everyone on basis of quick profit. I feel respect for a games developer, excuse me, as i have the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse coming for afternoon tea.

ReepNeep

Jan 21, 2008
For EA to cancel it over quality concerns, it must have been seriously bad. Not getting to play this is not something anyone should lose sleep over. The one in your imagination is far better.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
thebobmaster post=7.72940.778965 said:
Man, EA just can't win. They release a mediocre game, people get pissed. The cancel a mediocre game...people get pissed.
I think the issue is inconsistancy. Why release some garbage games and not others? Either make the effort toward real quality, or cut all funding to everything except annual releases.

Not real sad about Tiberium, but I am worried about what this means for C&C overall. Oddly enough, at my store in Southern Ontario (where about 80% of the population speaks English as it's first language and only about half speak any french) we got nothing but French copies of the last two C&C games, so I never played them. Apparently EA just thinks all Canadians speak french.

Unreal Freak354

Oct 1, 2008
this is why i don't like EA, they couldn't fix some problems so they just gave up on it and laid-off workers, and it didn't meet there "it should be perfect" standards.

The game didn't look good to me anyways, The fact that you only have one weapon is just lazy development in my opinion (or maybe its just the fact that i don't like EA) i mean it worked in Star Wars: Republic Commando but in this time in games it just seems like lazy development.

EA keeps trying make something good out of whats left of the C&C series, if they want to make what it was again let the old Westwood crew do it and stay out of it, to bad most of them went and made Petroglyph games XD.

I mean don't get me wrong EA still makes a good game every once in a while like Rock Band and Mirrors Edge but that's not out yet so i guess that doesn't count, but i still don't like them.