ECA Boss: Jack Thompson's Still Trouble

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
ECA Boss: Jack Thompson's Still Trouble

Gamers may have rejoiced to hear that Jack Thompson was disbarred, but Hal Halpin, the founder of the Entertainment Consumers Association, cautions, "Jack's not going anywhere…... believe me."

"I did take some selfish joy in receiving Jack's email announcing his formal disbarment, but you need to understand that Jack and I have a long and quite personal history, and in addition, I must receive a half dozen emails from him a day, so this was one that I appreciated receiving. Let's put it that way," stated Halpin. "It's important that gamers, while having every right to rejoice in their karmic victory, should understand that this really doesn't diminish his ability to be a force against us. Jack's not going anywhere... believe me."

Last week, in a court decision celebrated by citizens of gaming-kind, lawyer Jack Thompson, who earned the ire of gamers by vigorously fighting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/83400] against Grand Theft Auto IV, was disbarred [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86463] from his the legal system of Florida for "cumulative misconduct...a total lack of remorse or even slight acknowledgment of inappropriate conduct."

"I read Doug's [Lowenstein, ex-leader of the ESA] reaction statement with a lot of interest, actually. As many who have been around the industry for some time know, Doug was my mentor when he ran the ESA and I the IEMA (Interactive Entertainment Merchants Association)," explained Halpin. "I believe I've gone on record before saying that one of the single largest mistakes we, collectively, made was ignoring Jack. I was certainly culpable in following Doug's lead, but in doing so we left Jack as the only voice at the microphone; we empowered him, and it was strategically unsound and, in hindsight, altogether wrong. I know that Doug stands by his decision and instead hoists the blame on the enthusiast press, but I respectfully disagree. It was the endemic media which cast the light on Jack, his misstatements and factual inaccuracies and point-by-point, systematically addressed his assertions… all the while educating their readers, and the mainstream media and public who cared to listen, on the realities of the situation. I've always felt that the gaming press was the most underutilized weapon in the arsenal when it comes to battling our detractors and it was one of the first things we went about rectifying when we launched the ECA, just under two years ago."

Halpin's statement was in response to Entertainment Software Association founder and former head Doug Lowenstein, who voiced his opinion in a letter to Kotaku [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86501] that the journalists covering Thompson's actions legitimized him.

"The game press had a schizoid relationship with Thompson," Lowenstein wrote. The press, according to Lowenstein, "loved to vilify" for the sake of producing controversial stories, as opposed to ignoring his actions and hoping he'd disappear. Whether the press served as a platform for Thompson's preachings or promoted opposition to his cause is still a divided subject with opinions varying throughout the industry and gaming community.

Human Bomb

Sep 29, 2007
FOOL! Doesn't he know that speaking his name gives him power? Thompson "personally" emails just about everybody in the world who he thinks might listen. Remember the VG Cats debacle? Anyone?

foxboysirus

Jul 29, 2008
agreed with Ivoryagent, the man is an idiot who deserves this and i really hope this just help everyone else learn to actually thin before they assume games are evil like that crazy weirdo.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thompson will no doubt continue to rail against the videogame industry (or at the very least Strauss Zelnick) but there will be one significant change in his act: Instead of being billed as "Jack Thompson, First Amendment Attorney," he will from now on be "Jack Thompson, disbarred attorney." The best he can do is either refer to himself as a former attorney, or do away with the honorific entirely and go by only his name, either of which will invite questions about his qualifications, leading to further scrutiny and an inevitable discovery of his disgrace. Thompson won't be silenced by this, but he will be seen in a far harsher and more revealing light.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.72962.780165 said:
Monkeyman8 post=7.72962.780156 said:
Behold the power of Christians.
Please do not judge us all by that idiot, or you're no better than the news judging all gamers by that guy in Thailand.

You know, his gets really annoying for me. We as gamers hate when we are stereotypes, but we'll easily stereotype other groups just because a small number of them happen to be hindering us slightly. Hypocrisy much?
It's not hypocrisy until you point it out to them.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.72962.780165 said:
Monkeyman8 post=7.72962.780156 said:
Behold the power of Christians.
Please do not judge us all by that idiot, or you're no better than the news judging all gamers by that guy in Thailand.

You know, his gets really annoying for me. We as gamers hate when we are stereotypes, but we'll easily stereotype other groups just because a small number of them happen to be hindering us slightly. Hypocrisy much?
I know this feels strange and out of my personal character, but I agree with Indigo on this.

Whew, now that that's done I believe Jack is less of a threat, yet he still is a threat none the less. And like all threats he must be treated as potentially hostile to anyone within his personal proximity and beyond.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Indigo_Dingo post=7.72962.780158 said:
I keep telling you - the only way to kill him is to drive a copy of GTA IV through his heart.
But he will just move to another body, we need to find the Phylactery!

Omnidum

Mar 27, 2008
So, he's back from the pit of unimportance? And I was going to open a champagne bottle for his demise!

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
At least now he'll just be some crazy guy with no actual influence or status.
Knight Templar post=7.72962.788733 said:
Indigo_Dingo post=7.72962.780158 said:
I keep telling you - the only way to kill him is to drive a copy of GTA IV through his heart.
But he will just move to another body, we need to find the Phylactery!
Don't forget - We must trick him into saying his name backwards. Only that can send him back to the fifth dimension, à la Mr. Mxyzptlk from the Superman comics.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
I thought we also needed a rap ablum too, or at least the lyrics, to be shoved in his mouth before the GTA IV is hammered home. Or will GTA IV work by itself?

ragestreet

Oct 17, 2008
Doug said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
I thought we also needed a rap ablum too, or at least the lyrics, to be shoved in his mouth before the GTA IV is hammered home. Or will GTA IV work by itself?
Just put a Manhunt game near him. He'll turn to evil dust.