Fable 2 Collector's Edition Gets Nerfed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fable 2 Collector's Edition Gets Nerfed

Bad news for gamers who pre-ordered the Limited Collector's Edition of Fable II [http://www.lionhead.com/fable2/Default.aspx]: Most of that cool stuff you were promised isn't actually going to be included with the game.

Lionhead Studios Xbox Live [http://community.lionhead.com/blogs/fable_2_development/archive/2008/10/01/3087970.aspx] subscriptions, bonus game content including The Hall of the Dead dungeon, The Wreckager legendary cutlass and the Spartan armor and energy sword.

To make up for the shortcoming, Lionhead said it was reducing the suggested retail price of the game by ten bucks, from $79.99 to $69.99 (although actual prices may vary), and will also be offering a special Fable soundtrack, including a "wonderful selection" of music from the original sumthingdigital.com [http://fable.lionhead.com/]. The soundtrack will be available beginning October 6 with the "FableCollection" promotion code.

Is it just me or is there something mind-blowingly ironic about the collector's edition of a Peter Molyneux game being cut back a few weeks before release because the company can't deliver what it promised?

via: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/01/fable-2-collectors-edition-now-cheaper-less-desirable/]

Archetype

Oct 1, 2008
Yeah, Peter Molyneux does those kind of things. You just have to forgive him and admit he is doing a good job with everything else! Well... it is going to be a good game, right?

Jobz

May 5, 2008
This upsets me. I had the limited edition pre-ordered and paid for and now all the best stuff is taken out? Oh well. I still want the special content (Armor/Weapons/Dungeon) so I'll just go get my $10 discount from GameStop and get it anyway.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
While I understand it can be frustrating to most people, at the very least, Peter should be given props for at least attempting to quell people's anger by offering some sort of substitution and reduced price.

How many other companies (*cough* EA) would do this at all? Most would just cancel an offering with no redemption attempts.

spartyblb

Sep 11, 2008
This Reminds me of Fable,except in that case they just re released the game 6 months later with the extra content. I Still want a signed letter from Pete apologizing for not making the game I was told I was buying.

Archetype

Oct 1, 2008
You can get the Development Diaries on the Xbox Marketplace and the Internet anyway...

foxboysirus

Jul 29, 2008
that sucks but it's not really his fault, i just hope they release that stuff later on because i would so buy it all separately.

Fineldar

Jun 8, 2008
spartyblb post=7.72970.779590 said:
This Reminds me of Fable,except in that case they just re released the game 6 months later with the extra content. I Still want a signed letter from Pete apologizing for not making the game I was told I was buying.
You mean that expansion with original they told you about that was the released 6 months later with the extra content? Who can trust those guys to do exactly what they say. They let the guy who likes talking say his ideas, then they tell you're getting the game you was told you were buying.

More importantly Liondead is releasing the five Fate Cards, unaltered, as .pdf's for you to download and print.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
We can't blame Mr.Molyneux(man I love that last name, it just sounds nice)for a supplier's fault, while he is in no way talented at marketing wiz, he is still a great developer and is inovative.

I myself ignored all of his hype and I enjoy his games. For those disappointed, just ignore him until you play that game, and it will be fun.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Dunno why you're all blaming Lionhead and Molyneux, they only developed the game, it's not up to them to organise the suppliers, that's Microsoft's job. Still, I'm insanely annoyed that Microsoft have fucked this up, they've had months to get this all sorted.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Doesn't sound like a bad deal for a few $ more than the regular edition. It is sad that Fable 2 is already off to a "they're not delivering what is promised" start. :(

I think Fable would have been received a LOT better if it had not been for all the hype. The part that disappoined me the most about the first one (overlooking all of the unkept promises) was the short length of the main story.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
I lose a heap of good stuff and get to keep ten bucks?
I can't post what I'm thinking for fear of getting banned but What the hell Molyneux?.

Stop promising what you can't deliver, and what's the deal they can't get any of the stuff out? How about they just say you can have it now or wait and get bonus stuff.

I wait and wait and already I'm getting screwed over...

Nov 28, 2007
Reaperman Wompa post=7.72970.781374 said:
I lose a heap of good stuff and get to keep ten bucks?
I can't post what I'm thinking for fear of getting banned but What the hell Molyneux?.

Stop promising what you can't deliver, and what's the deal they can't get any of the stuff out?
The deal is that the supplier (i.e., someone outside of Lionhead) screwed up. It isn't Molyneux's fault. It's like me blaming Harmonix for Wal-Mart not having a Rock Band 2 drum set.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
I know that this may not be Molyneux's fault, but, is anyone keeping track of how many fibs he's told?