Pachter: Nintendo Makes the Best First Party Games

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Pachter: Nintendo Makes the Best First Party Games

Nintendo takes the top spot, with second place going to whoever you happen to like best.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter thinks that when it comes to first party console exclusives, the top dog is without a doubt Nintendo. He says that Nintendo stable of IPs is "vastly superior" to anything that Microsoft or Sony has to offer, and he doesn't think that - if they were honest - either company would really dispute that.

Pachter was responding to comments made by Microsoft's Dennis Durkin, where he said that in terms of quality and sales, Microsoft Games Studios - or just Microsoft Studios as it is now called - outperformed its competitors. According to Pachter, Durkin couldn't be 100% truthful on the matter because of who his employer is. "Dennis is a great guy," he said, "and is paid to be loyal to his Microsoft family."

When it came to who was better out of Sony or Microsoft however, Pachter dodged the question, saying that it didn't really matter. Both were about as good as each other, he said, so it really came down to personal preference. "I'm sure that there is a scientific way to determine who is better, but that's like arguing about whether Ford is better than GM or whether Wal-Mart is better than Target. They're both good, and people have different tastes."

It's inevitable that some people will disagree with Pachter; a phrase like "vastly superior" is too loaded and open to argument to be accepted universally. It is true however, that Nintendo has consistently found success with its first party titles, both commercially and critically, and this is undoubtedly informing Pachter's comments.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/nintendo-first-party-vastly-superior-to-microsoft-sony/]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well... yeah.

I mean, would anyone dispute that? Y'know, aside from the good ol' raging fanboys.

Hell, I have absolutely zero interest in Nintendo products and I still agree with that assessment.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Personally I'd probably place Sony in second place on this, despite that Sony is the company I like the least of the three.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I dont know. Is it that Nintendo makes the best, or is it because Nintendo makes the most out of any of the three console manufacturers?

Seems like a fairly unbalanced comparison. One company puts out 3 games per year, another only two and nintendo puts out 8. And considering how many of those are not actually great games, such as weird mario spin offs etc. I think the argument is definitely in question.

Markgraf

Apr 1, 2009
Pachter, the man who speaks common sense... months or years after everyone has realized it.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
Micheal Pachter: still the best at stepping outside, looking up, and telling us all if it's raining or not.

It's like he has ESPN!

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
Pachter is as unfit to do his job like Kotick. The man usually has no idea what he is talking about. His analysis usually never makes any sense, whatsoever. Including here where he thinks that Nintendo's IP's are vastly superior to Sony's or Microsoft's. They're not. Not. At. All. they're not worse, but not better either. This isn't the 90's pachter.

mikeybuthge

Apr 28, 2010
So this one time pachter asked people what games they remember from childhood, they said either Mario, zelda, or metroid games, then, pachter found out they were all nintendo games, and made that statement, minutes later, he explained that he saved himself from suffocation, by deducting that inhaling and exhaling oxygen combats suffocation

MBergman

Oct 21, 2009
To be honest, I couldn't even name a single game that's been developed by Sony or Microsoft if asked to do so. I could however name a bunch of Nintendo's, that's one good thing about having strong IP's I suppose.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Wait, that's the kind of stuff that makes you an industry analyst? Either he's got a glorified title or our industry is depressingly bland.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Hmm, I can't really dispute this, Nintendo has a long history of very good first-party games, even if they don't really rock the boat particularly. I mean, vastly superior is a bit of an overstatement, but I see where the man is coming from.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well Sony and Microsoft don't really have first party game developers, they throw a sack of money at someone and sick some lawyers on them.

So yes captain Pachter obvious Nintendo takes the cake, then poops lots of shovelware to on top.

Craazhy

Tic-Tock and Crash
Aug 22, 2009
Though this has been common knowledge about the industry since just after the turn of the millennium, it's never really added up for me.

Of course I know that 100% of what Nintendo develops is almost 100% more likely to be purchased by casual gamers than others, but how does it compare to the percentage of income hardcore gamers pour into real games? Are the majority of total gamers actually casual?

Then again its not like hardcore gamers don't delve into Nintendo products every now and again, but its certainly few and far between. The only thing I've bought from Nintendo besides one console in the last like fifteen years were a few Zelda games and the Super Smash Bros. series. Nothing from hand-held either.

Seriously, why in the world is Nintendo leading sales? Not just in hardware, but in software.

[a href="http://www.vgchartz.com/"]VGCharts[/a]

Look at those charts, America buys more Wii's than Japan does, while Japan prefers PS3. I bet they're laughing at us.

Cool Welshy

Mar 15, 2011
Well, that's sorted.
Your next assignment Patcher, if you are willing to accept it, is to find proof that bears shit in woods.
And maybe then we might let join agent smith to find out whether or not the pope is catholic.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
They used to. Iconic characters and even originality used to leak out of Nintendo, but all I see now is banality and mediocrity.

AmaterasuGrim

Jul 16, 2011
....Re-re-re-re-re-re-releasing the same game every few years earns you top spot right nintendo has good titles but majority are just n64 or snes or gamecube or so on releases so i personally wouldn't put them at the top but they do have the most first party titles to their name.

L34dP1LL

Mar 6, 2010
In other news, studies have confirmed that water will indeed get you wet if you come in contact with it.
I think that Pachter should also mention that along with those top notch 1st party games (that IMO are just the same game over and over again) come a crapton of shovelware.