Street Fighter III 3rd Strike Online Edition: Release Date, Gameplay Info

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike Online Edition: Release Date, Gameplay Info

Street Fighter III fans had better warm up their thumbs; Capcom's upcoming online update of the fighter is only a month away.

It seems that Capcom was in a generous mood this morning. Alongside that flurry of Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 info the firm released [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111770-Ultimate-Marvel-Vs-Capcom-3-Info-Blowout], comes a solid release date for Street Fighter III 3rd Strike Online Edition as well as a brand new vignette detailing the title's updated gameplay options.

Before I break into the crucial details, I should note that Street Fighter III 3rd Strike Online Edition is a modern remake of Street Fighter III 3rd Strike, a 2D Capcom fighter originally released in 1999 that was widely beloved among hardcore fighting game fanatics, despite being the least popular Street Fighter title among mainstream gamers.

Well, that's assuming you don't count the original Street Fighter, but since Capcom seems to be doing its level best to ignore that that game ever existed, I'm willing to overlook the title for the purposes of my last sentence.

This new iteration of the game is a downloadable title designed for the Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network. It includes enhanced graphics, replay sharing via YouTube, live match streaming, online leaderboards and you will never, ever be as good at fighting games as Daigo Umehara [http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/07/next-street-fighter-lets-you-try-to-recreate-the-coolest-street-fighter-moment-ever/].

The clip embedded above details many of the game's new features over the course of its nearly 2-minute run-time. Though I'm not terribly fond of the game's graphical smoothing -- praise Gill that the title includes the original pixels as an aesthetics option -- I am incredibly excited by the video's mention of GGPO-based netcode.

Essentially, GGPO is an online multiplayer gaming protocol [http://ggpo.net/] crafted by PC gamers who wanted to play emulated arcade games with the best approximation of lag-free local multiplayer gaming possible. I have no idea how it works technically, but in practice GGPO is hands down the best way to punch a foe from halfway across the planet.

Capcom licensing the GGPO tech for inclusion in this game is a wise move for the company, and great news for fans of multiplayer pugilism.

Street Fighter III 3rd Strike Online Edition will hit the PlayStation Network on August 23, and the Xbox Live Arcade on August 24. Both versions feature a $15 retail price.

Source: Capcom Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2011/07/20/street_fighter_iii_3rd_strike_online_edition_features_trailer]

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
They're not releasing it for PC though >: You suck Capcom... Here's to hoping they'll come to their senses later, like with SSFIV.

...Dat Stanley Lau HD art...

Earnest Cavalli said:
online leaderboards and you will never, ever be as good at fighting games as Daigo Umehara [http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/07/next-street-fighter-lets-you-try-to-recreate-the-coolest-street-fighter-moment-ever/].
Sorry but as awesome as that moment is, Hayao's Hugo has that beat, in technical terms at least:

For the unaware: The difference lies in the fact that Hayao pulled Hugo's super (Gigas Breaker) in the very small window between the last 2 kicks of Chun Li's super... Which requires a 720º motion. Also Hugo is bottom tier.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Caliostro said:
... Sorry but as awesome as that moment is, Hayao's Hugo has that beat ...
If this was the 16th century, the Spanish church would have you burned at the stake as a heretic.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Capcom: Willing to milk their Street Fighter series with endless ports or with tiny updates but not willing to make a whole new expansion to a series that everyone wants to see: Megaman Legends 3.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
If this was the 16th century, the Spanish church would have you burned at the stake as a heretic.
Crimethinker. Doubleplusungood. Unbellyfeel Hayao. Miniluv rectify fullwise. Crimethinker bec unperson.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Apparently there'll be an achievement for recreating that Daigo moment, according to that Kotaku vid. If that's true, I wholly anticipate that less that 1% of people will get it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Snotnarok said:
Capcom: Willing to milk their Street Fighter series with endless ports or with tiny updates but not willing to make a whole new expansion to a series that everyone wants to see: Megaman Legends 3.
Eh.. I'm sure if everyone wanted to see it, they would have done it. From what I can recall, the MM Legends games were pretty much flops when they were released and didn't blow the critics away either. That's not to say they were bad games, and I quite enjoyed them (though I probably preferred Tron's game), but it's a massive exaggeration to say that "everyone" wanted to see Legends 3.

Besides, it took Capcom over 10 years to create this sort of enhanced version of SF33S, and it's one of the most loved and respected 2D fighters ever created. You can complain with some right about them working over SF4 and MvC3 fans, but 3S really doesn't fall into the same category.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
Eh.. I'm sure if everyone wanted to see it, they would have done it. From what I can recall, the MM Legends games were pretty much flops when they were released and didn't blow the critics away either. That's not to say they were bad games, and I quite enjoyed them (though I probably preferred Tron's game), but it's a massive exaggeration to say that "everyone" wanted to see Legends 3.

Besides, it took Capcom over 10 years to create this sort of enhanced version of SF33S, and it's one of the most loved and respected 2D fighters ever created. You can complain with some right about them working over SF4 and MvC3 fans, but 3S really doesn't fall into the same category.
This is the most poignant, thoughtful response this thread is going to see.

You adopted your nom de Internet from the lesser Strider, but you are certainly a top shelf commenter.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Awesome. A release date finally reveals itself, and so the game looms over the horizon. I expect to get stomped, but at least it'll be in a SF I actually like.

Caliostro said:
Sorry but as awesome as that moment is, Hayao's Hugo has that beat, in technical terms at least:

Ah... that's always a favorite. Though, to be fair, you gotta keep in mind that at the time Daigo's infamous "full parry" happened, it was unprecedented. Hell, it was downright insane that he even thought to try that. At this point, it's almost commonplace.

And Hugo isn't quite that bad. You should look into Kuroda's Q for some really lopsided match-ups, like when he went to town on Justin Wong (Chun-Li) and Ricky Ortiz (Ken) at SBO... 2009? I think it was.

gundamrx101

Nov 19, 2010
Is it Megaman Legends 3 Capcom? No? Then I am not amused. Not on bit, you can rehash and remake all you want but when it comes time for something other than a 2-D fighter you crumble. My hate capcom. All of it.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
Snotnarok said:

I can easily say they're just milking their own franchises rather than trying to put out something new. Because that's what they're doing. I'm aware 3rd Strike was only on the dreamcast and PS2 but again, it's a port with online and some filters to blur the pixels, they're probably not even handling it as the main company rarely does.

And Mercenaries 3DS, I totally forgot about that game, a minigame for a full price of a 3DS game, they aren't even trying anymore, especially with one of the dumbest DRM schemes in the history of stupid DRM.

About Legends 3 sure the others didn't sell amazing but they sold reasonably well but they said they were going to do it. Even had a contest where people were sending in art for their characters to get in the game.

Then they came up with some bullshit how if you bought the demo they'd sell the game? I can't even fathom how they even thought that was a cool idea...annnnd then they cancel it. I don't have a 3DS, I probably never will because I personally hate the system, I was just hoping that they'd actually continue the series and try to make a real game rather than just adding to the same games over and over.

This is a company that made some of the most memorable titles and as of late, all they seem to do is make expansions for their games and that's it. I guess whatever makes money.

Seriously I'm not trying to troll, I'm sure people love this stuff but my own view is just rehashes. I'd like to see them try for another Breath of Fire, or a new attempt at Final Fight or a new original title. I guess we'll see with the new Resident Evil how that goes.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Snotnarok said:
I highly doubt that save issue in Mercenaries was really DRM. It doesn't even make sense. "Better buy new or Chris might have an extra shirt at the beginning! Imagine the horror of having too many options at the start. Mwhaha". If anything, they were probably just cutting corners, thinking the game didn't need more than one save file.
I'm saving final opinion on the game until I try it myself, but I actually kind of like the idea of expanding mini games into full retail releases (in theory...haven't seen it in practice yet). At the very least, it's an interesting experiment...can a mini-game become a spin-off? Can developers give a former mini-game its own team so that the next entry in the main series is more focused? Lets see if Revelations benefits from this....

As for MML3, the idea was that they would sell a small prototype of the game for a small price. If it turns out there wasn't much of an interest, they at least make some of their investment back. Not a bad idea from their point of view. I'm glad they didn't set precedent for this one, 'cause I can't really see how that would benefit us. Too bad the game was canceled though...I was looking forward to trying out this particular Mega Man series.

As for Capcom milking their franchises "as of late"...updated re-releases and flagship franchises have pretty much always been the cornerstone of their business. Personally, I don't mind it too much. At least the updated versions are usually cheaper, and I love having access to older games I missed while growing up (like Third Strike). Besides, they've done a lot of good stuff this generation, and there's two upcoming new IPs (Dragon's Dogma and Asura's Wrath)...although I'm not sure if they're being developed in house. Like any developer, they have their problems, but in the end, I do think they're a "net good" for gaming.

And, yes, a new Final Fight, and especially a new Breath of Fire would be great...especially since Capcom's been going retro with platformers, adventures, and railshooters. J-RPGs are in desperate need of a retro movement right now, and Capcom might just be the one to start it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Snotnarok said:
StriderShinryu said:
Snotnarok said:

I can easily say they're just milking their own franchises rather than trying to put out something new. Because that's what they're doing. I'm aware 3rd Strike was only on the dreamcast and PS2 but again, it's a port with online and some filters to blur the pixels, they're probably not even handling it as the main company rarely does.
I won't argue about them milking franchises because I certainly agree on that point. It's actually something you could say the company has been doing for years and definitely isn't restricted to their fighting game franchises. In fact, if there's one series that built the Capcom reputation for franchise milking, it's not Street Fighter at all, it's actually Mega Man. Mega Man above all other Capcom series has been defined by launching a single title and then putting out near endless variations of same.

I do, however, feel that you are wrong in attempting to add 3rd Strike to the list. After 10 years of fans clamouring for a re-release of the title with (hopefully) proper online play and a rock solid training mode to actually help the less experienced learn to play one of the most technical fighting games ever.. and all that for only $15, it's about as far from the definition of typical Capcom re-hash as you can get. I'd actually say what Capcom is doing with 3S is exactly the sort of thing you want them to be doing with Legends 3: Listening to a small but dedicated fanbase and providing the experience that fanbase was long clamouring for. Just because they aren't doing it with your game of choice, however, is what is causing the issue.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
SageRuffin said:
Awesome. A release date finally reveals itself, and so the game looms over the horizon. I expect to get stomped, but at least it'll be in a SF I actually like.

Ah... that's always a favorite. Though, to be fair, you gotta keep in mind that at the time Daigo's infamous "full parry" happened, it was unprecedented. Hell, it was downright insane that he even thought to try that. At this point, it's almost commonplace.

And Hugo isn't quite that bad. You should look into Kuroda's Q for some really lopsided match-ups, like when he went to town on Justin Wong (Chun-Li) and Ricky Ortiz (Ken) at SBO... 2009? I think it was.
That much is true. Daigo's attempt was, afaik, unprecedented. Still, you gotta give Hayao credit. A "post-parry" nearly instant 720 is all kinds of insane.

And yeah, I know Kuroda. Man is a beast. In Hayao's defense though, Q is higher tier than Hugo that is absolutely shit tier.

And yeah, it was SBO 3. Wong and Ortiz didn't even know what hit them. Bodied hard. Complete curb stomp battle. He spent the last round absolutely humiliating Wong. I don't know what it was but there was some bad blood there.

PS: Watching Evo this year? :D

Snotnarok said:
Dude, Street Fighter III is from 1997. The last iteration, Third Strike, is from 1999. They're not releasing a yearly "SUPER STREET FIGHTER III FOURTH COMING!", adding three fighters and pushing out a full retail price. It's an HD re-release of a 12 year old title with a FUCKTON of improvements for a 15 buck price tag. I don't think there's any fan out there that didn't want this or is feeling milked by it.

And it's not a filter. They actually re-made the assets in HD. The "arcade" one is a filter. The HD one is HD.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
I've read rumours that one of the principal reasons for Megaman Legends 3's cancellation was that it sucked hard. Hard enough for them to not bother releasing it and to pull a Dragon Age 2 on their fans.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I'm sorry, I thought it was 2011, I must've accidentaly drove my Delorean at 88 and saw some serious shit. ._. Am I really seeing the release of another freaking SF that's not even a continuation? I must admit, it's amazing to see a series so old hasn't even reached the 5th installment, yet releases an SF game like 3 times a year.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Caliostro said:
SageRuffin said:

That much is true. Daigo's attempt was, afaik, unprecedented. Still, you gotta give Hayao credit. A "post-parry" nearly instant 720 is all kinds of insane.

And yeah, I know Kuroda. Man is a beast. In Hayao's defense though, Q is higher tier than Hugo that is absolutely shit tier.

And yeah, it was SBO 3. Wong and Ortiz didn't even know what hit them. Bodied hard. Complete curb stomp battle. He spent the last round absolutely humiliating Wong. I don't know what it was but there was some bad blood there.

PS: Watching Evo this year? :D
You misunderstand - I'm not knocking Hayao at all. My jaw still hits the ground when he or anyone else who uses a "bad character" just rolls up and wrecks shop. PinoAB7 (Necro), Azuma (Elena), RX and J (Urien and Makoto, respectively... although neither character's not that bad)... there are plenty others, as I'm sure you know.

Otakon (largest anime convention on the East Coast) happens that same weekend, and I'll be going full swing. But best believe that I'll catching whatever footage I can in between the various goings-on and events happening at the con. I'm interested to see if Combofiend and Daigo ever square off in MvC3. :3

Asuka Soryu said:
I'm sorry, I thought it was 2011, I must've accidentaly drove my Delorean at 88 and saw some serious shit. ._. Am I really seeing the release of another freaking SF that's not even a continuation? I must admit, it's amazing to see a series so old hasn't even reached the 5th installment, yet releases an SF game like 3 times a year.
Don't like it? Simply go about your business and let the few of us fans go on about ours.

Problem solved.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Caliostro said:
They're not releasing it for PC though >: You suck Capcom... Here's to hoping they'll come to their senses later, like with SSFIV.
Based on recent history, if it does come to the PC, it will be whole year later.

So, maybe we'll get this in 2012, just about the same time that we may be MVC3 (not the ultimate update, that won't be available until 2013)