Game Industry People Lean Liberal

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Game Industry People Lean Liberal

Based on political contributions by executives and developers, gamers have recently leaned left with their political views.

A GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/10/01/game-biz-types-leaning-toward-obama] investigation discovered that members of the gaming community who contributed to recent presidential campaigns tended to back Democratic candidates; 13 developers and/or executives contributed to the Clinton, Obama, Dodd or Biden campaigns in the past year, as opposed to just three ponying up cash for John McCain's campaign. The donation amounts typically ranged from $1,000 to $5,000.

Developer Will Wright (Spore) and Activision Chief Executive Officer Bobby Kotick were the only high-profile Republican supporters. The third was Curt Schilling, who is more famous for his Major League Baseball pitching than his role as founder of 38 Studios.

The Democratic contributors list is a who's-who of industry bigwigs: Take-Two Chairman Strauss Zelnick, Take-Two CEO Ben Feder, Rockstar head Sam Houser, ESRB President Patricia Vance, Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello, Sony Online's John Smedley, Ultima and NC Soft's Richard Garriott, Harmonix CEO Alex Rigopulos, former ESA leader Doug Lowenstein and Valve President Gabe Newell, among others.

All campaign data was taken from public files and was limited to the 2007-2008 primary and presidential campaigns.

Human Bomb

Sep 29, 2007
Hilarious considering Hilary wanted to have the government take control away from the ESA and ESRB. Biden might as well sit behind you while you play on Live. Don't think that liberal always equals freedom of speech/information or conservative means censor the hell out of everything. They take turns being totally evil.

Take-two really shocks me though. Democrats had a pretty united hatred of GTA.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Great, measuring the raw quantity of dollars comes up with an equation stating that game bigwigs give money to the politicians who spend slightly less time trying to make sure that nobody ever buys their games. What a phenomenal surprise.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Interesting that Will Wright of all people is a republican, considering how republicans hate his game (at least the nuts) ^^

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
Human Bomb post=7.73058.782726 said:
Take-two really shocks me though. Democrats had a pretty united hatred of GTA.
ah, but they're probably not voting based on game policies.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I think the idea behind all those video game people donating to the Democrats is to remind them "hey, we got you elected, now return the favor" the next time the Nancy Graces of the world are making the soccer moms hysterical about gaming. Just wetting the beak, that's all.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I could have told you gamers lean liberal look at the people on the escapist :)

SBoggart

Jul 2, 2008
That Will Wright thing is shocking, he doesn't come across to me as particularly conservative. Then again, a lot of conservatives now adays aren't the bible-thumpers of the fities. I'd imagine he's probably anostic or atheistic considering Spore.

LANCE420

Dec 23, 2008
Will Wright being a conservative just blows me away.

SBoggart said:
That Will Wright thing is shocking, he doesn't come across to me as particularly conservative. Then again, a lot of conservatives now adays aren't the bible-thumpers of the fities. I'd imagine he's probably anostic or atheistic considering Spore.
I've actually found that alot of Repubs. are actually atheistic. However, many of them, like myself, become libertarians.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
I am not the only one who finds it hilarious that the heads of major corporations donate to the people who ostensibly protect the poor from big business interests am I?
SimuLord said:
I think the idea behind all those video game people donating to the Democrats is to remind them "hey, we got you elected, now return the favor" the next time the Nancy Graces of the world are making the soccer moms hysterical about gaming. Just wetting the beak, that's all.
What SimuLord said.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Logan Frederick said:
Activision Chief Executive Officer Bobby Kotick were the only high-profile Republican supporters.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Great this doesn't help the republicans are evil asshats image at all
LANCE420 said:
Will Wright being a conservative just blows me away.

SBoggart said:
I've actually found that alot of Repubs. are actually atheistic. However, many of them, like myself, become libertarians.
Yeay another libertarian is around, now I'm not alone!

Sewblon said:
I am not the only one who finds it hilarious that the heads of major corporations donate to the people who ostensibly protect the poor from big business interests am I?
Whats really funny is most CEOs and heads of multi-million companys are liberal, but people like to call them evil republicans anyway.

OT: This doesn't surprise me at all, most people working in the entertainment industry are, not to mention most political plots go with the stereotypical "military is bad" plot.

Bosola

Mar 6, 2010
This is likely more to do with demographics and poverty in the bible belt than anything else. Working class children just don't tend to become software engineers, and I'd tend to suggest that the North of the US if more affluent than the South.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
Bobby Kotick is a conservative. That's the least surprising news I've ever heard. Of course, the fact that most gamer-type people are liberal was pretty obvious, too.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Hah. Still putting people into two camps are we?
Despite all of that "grey area thinking", we're still all talking black and white.

Both parties are run by inept power mongering assholes. I have an entire state of them as proof.