Here's Why Freddy Krueger's In Mortal Kombat

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Here's Why Freddy Krueger's In Mortal Kombat

[gametrailers=717827]

Mortal Kombat creator Ed Boon wants you to know that Freddy's going to be in the game because he's violent, nasty, and totally unexpected.

One of the biggest WTF moments this week came <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111824-Freddy-Krueger-Revealed-As-Next-Mortal-Kombat-Fighter>when it was revealed that the newest guest star in Mortal Kombat was going to be Freddy Krueger. The announcement was simultaneously cool and bizarre as Hell, and now Mortal Kombat creator Ed Boon has taken a little time to explain why Wes Craven's most famous creation is now a part of the game's mythology.

Boon spoke to the PlayStation Blog about the character addition, stating that he and the rest of the development team wanted to add in another "unexpected" guest character (much like Kratos from God of War):

"It's kind of hard to choose a character who would fit well into the Mortal Kombat universe, with the blood and violence that's so associated with it. Kratos from God of War is a brutal, bloody character, so he makes sense.

"When we had the discussions about the DLC characters, we knew that we wanted to add a returning character, a new character, but also a guest character. That was one of the goals right from the beginning.

"A number of names were run by us: Jason, Michael Myers and all those guys. Freddy Kreuger, we felt, was the most instantly recognisable and he fits in with Mortal Kombat with his claws. It just seemed like the best fit."

Apparently this isn't the first time that Freddy has been considered as an addition to the cast of Mortal Kombat. Boon explained later in the interview that a number of movie villains from the 1980s and 90s had been considered as an entire group of additional characters.

Now that Mortal Kombat is owned by Warner Bros., there's a slew of opportunities for additional movie characters. Based on what Boon's saying, it sounds like there's a definite possibility that NetherRealm Studios might be able to make a fighting game that stars iconic horror movie characters. How awesome would that be?

Source: PlayStation Blog via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-22-boon-explains-mortal-kombat-krueger-dlc>Eurogamer

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ok so to summarize thier statement, "Because we can"

Though i didnt exactly WTF over this to begin with, ive been thinking for the last decade or so, "its only a matter of time before someone puts Freddy in a fighting game."

FuktLogik

Jan 6, 2010
vansau said:
Ed Boon wants you to know that Freddy's going to be in the game because he's violent, nasty, and totally unexpected.
Yeah, except that people expected this since before the game even released, either through the text file plundered from the PS3 demo, or the fact that WB owns the rights to the movies.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
Twilight.falls said:
Jason and Michael NEED to be in this game.
Would make it at least 20% cooler.
I C wut U did thar

OT: as long as I can go into Sub-Zero's dreams and kill him there I'll be pleased.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
I was hoping Blaze was going to be the last fighter, seeing that he, like Rain, and Skarlet, was created out of the MK urban legends of yesteryear.

not that I'm complaining, a new fighter is also cool.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Sorry, but I'm still not feeling it. Kratos felt very right for Mortal Kombat the instant his name came up on the roster. Freddy just doesn't do it for me, though. There's something that doesn't click about seeing Freddy Krueger unload martial arts on a cyborg ninja.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Those fools, they gave him claws on both hands! Now how will he tip his hat and/or release nightmarish contortions of the subconcious out of it?
I wonder if it's the wisecracking version or the newer one.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Lord Beautiful said:
Sorry, but I'm still not feeling it. Kratos felt very right for Mortal Kombat the instant his name came up on the roster. Freddy just doesn't do it for me, though. There's something that doesn't click about seeing Freddy Krueger unload martial arts on a cyborg ninja.
What's not to like about Freddy going to town on a cyborg ninja? You really don't wanna see him hit some poor unsuspecting sap with a roundhouse?

If nothing else, look at it like this: now he can kill people metaphysically and physically! :D

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I'm kinda curious to see what his babality will be....

Honestly, though, he just looks awkward in the game. His design just doesn't fit in with the rest of the MK cast.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
So many cameos in fighting games these days whatever happened to having a exlusive roster of characters? Why can't someone get there heads together buy as many brands and characters and then make a mugen fighter and then charge everyone DLC for character packs and everything else? That would awesome and it would pretty much be a money sink.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Hold On.

I dont care that Freddy Krueger is in Mortal Kombat

I do care that you picked the terrible version and not the original Wes Cravens version!

Damn Remakes!
Ruining The Foundations of Great Things!!

Trikeen

Feb 17, 2009
Okay, fine. Now explain to me why you didn't use Robert Englund's Freddy instead of the god-fucking awful iteration? The Platinum Dunes Nightmare on Elm Street remake was one of the worst films I have ever paid money to see, a complete and utter bastardization of one of my favorite film series, and I would rather like to forget it ever existed. Not even to mention that the new freddy is just fucking UGLY in comparison. And you could say that he's supposed to be disfigured and therefore ugly is a good thing, but that's one of the main problems. it's not scary, it's laughable. You put the old Freddy is some dark lighting and THERE is the face of 1000 pissed bedsheets. With all due respect to Jackie Earl Haley, the new Freddy sucks.

Evidently, didn't Englund voice a character in a recent CoD DLC pack? I can't imagine that it would have been overly difficult to get him on board for this.

...This is all probably very fanboy-ish. Sorry about that.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Unexpected? Sure. Does he belong there? No.

I had a discussion in another thread about this. For the developers, I agree that it's right out of left field and we wouldn't see it coming. Hell, it makes more sense than Kratos. But when you think of it...Freddie shouldn't be in MK for one good reason: The fear

Freddie Kruger's MO is to engender fear and terror into the people he's killing, the more the better. It makes him stronger, whereas people with courage and a strong will have beaten him down. And then, you have some MK character who aren't just unlikely to be afraid, but who can't. Scorpion regularly goes to hell and he is a dead man in a ninja suit. Would he EVER fear the Fred-meister? Heck no.

Points for the unexpected, but that's about it.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
That explains it, but I think Jason would have been a better choice. Maybe next guest DLC should be a DC character so they can basically say 'This is what we wanted to do'

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
you know aside from that awesome furnace finisher you can basically replace the model-skin with that of Alex Mercer and no one would know the difference...but what ever...the cool thing about Freddy was creative kills not just slicing and dicing but i could understand wanting him in a fighting game...i guess