DC Reboot Leads To Protest At Comic-Con

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
DC Reboot Leads To Protest At Comic-Con

Sure, it may have been a little late to start and a lot less-attended than it was supposed to be, but the protest against DC's planned reboot did happen.

DC's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110541-DC-Comics-Rebooting-Entire-Universe-Back-to-1>planned reboot of its entire universe doesn't seem to be going over too well with the general public so far. In fact, between things like drastic character re-designs and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111141-DC-Sends-Clark-Kent-And-Lois-Lane-To-Divorce-Court>breaking up Clark Kent and Lois Lane, it's safe to say that a lot of comic fans are getting pretty peeved. As a result, DC's Comic-Con booth was protested (and angry signs were taped to its sides) by frustrated fans.

It turns out that there was a scheduled protest that was originally supposed to happen at 2 PM on Saturday, and <a href=https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=191539177563602>over 500 people said they would attend. As a result, Syfy's Blastr was on site to watch the protest unfold. However, the group didn't show up for about fifteen minutes (except for one poor guy who dressed as Superman and hung out, waiting for others to arrive), and then another dozen or so folks marched into the room and very loudly made their displeasure known about the upcoming reboot (like the Harley Quinn seen in the video here). Eventually, the group papered over at least one offending revised costume to with sarcastic signs.

DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio apparently wasn't around, so the company had no official reaction to the protest. That said, protesting something that DC has done <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_on_Infinite_Earths>several <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Crisis>times <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Hour:_Crisis_in_Time>before in this kind of manner seems more than a little silly. If fans are really upset about this planned reboot, then they should just not buy the comics; that seems like a much more surefire way to get the message across to the company executives.

Source: <a href=http://blastr.com/2011/07/dc-reboot-protesters-marc.php>Blastr

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
the sooner people start ignoring it the sooner DC will reset everything and only keep the changes everyone and their companion cube loved.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Actually, I kinda like this idea. It'll introduce new people to comics, and that's what the industry REALLY kind of needs.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
King Toasty said:
Actually, I kinda like this idea. It'll introduce new people to comics, and that's what the industry REALLY kind of needs.
No kidding. I've some interest in The Green Lantern (Nothing to do with the movie), but I don't want to go though all the backstory to get the idea of the characters.

blue heartless

Legacy
Aug 28, 2005
As long as DC doesn't neglect the existing (albeit complex) stories they have taken months to build I don't foresee any real problem. As a longtime DC fan , as a longtime comics fan I have not one qualm about this. I have always been open to new ideas from the medium and I am undeniably sure that the writers and artists fervently desire to take their IPs (and powerhouse names) in a new direction. I can only applaud their decision and wish them the best of luck.

Just don't fuck with Batman too much.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
King Toasty said:
That's my view on it. I'd like to get into comics, but I find them VERY hard to start, just because story arcs are so grand and hard to get introduced to.

I for one, am only behind the reboot because I'm not a previous DC fan.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
to use an overused ZP quote. "Fans are clingy, complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make."

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
King Toasty said:
I was waiting for this to get into comics.

Then I saw they were messing everything up and I realized these weren't the characters / comics I had been waiting for, so decided to spend my money elsewhere.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
blue heartless said:
As long as DC doesn't neglect the existing (albeit complex) stories they have taken months to build I don't foresee any real problem. As a longtime DC fan , as a longtime comics fan I have not one qualm about this. I have always been open to new ideas from the medium and I am undeniably sure that the writers and artists fervently desire to take their IPs (and powerhouse names) in a new direction. I can only applaud their decision and wish them the best of luck.

Just don't fuck with Batman too much.
I still can't figure out the reason for Marvel's reboots (hint: Small name, Big Ego) and the DC reboot (Hint: stupidity on Didio's part) but eh, whatever works, I guess. Why not just kill them off and make new characters?

Heh, that's like saying the Joker won't make an appearance as his alternate ego.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Twilight.falls said:
King Toasty said:
That's my view on it. I'd like to get into comics, but I find them VERY hard to start, just because story arcs are so grand and hard to get introduced to.

I actually recently got into reading comics. With The Blackest Night Arc for Green Lantern. I took most of the stuff in stride because I had no idea what most of the shit that was going down but understood the arc for this set of stories. I really want to start getting more into the story arcs and even wanting to get to know different characters because of the tid bits about them that were revealed in the stories.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Seeing as how HQ was a character created for Batman:TAS and THEN imported into the comics...and the whole 'pasty face, girlfriend/hoe that gets beat by her boyfriend/pimp' that is...well..er.

I'm kind of hoping the new version of HQ has stronger personality.
Less dependent on 'Mista Jay'.

Jarlaxl

Oct 14, 2010
King Toasty said:
I got into Moon Knight from the Marvel Universe when I found out that he was (a) awesome and (b) getting rebooted. The only downside is that the reboot still required some knowledge of his past. Fortunately, he was always a B-List hero, so getting into his back story was easy compared to, say, the X-Men.

So, yes, I'm very happy that this is being done. The DC Universe generally bores me (barring the Vertigo imprint), but there are a few heroes who I find worth investigating. (Batman isn't one of them. :D )

crimsonyte

Aug 12, 2009
I think to cover all the back story and and get people into the story is to kinda do what Japan does with some of their manga. Just create a big volume book with issue 1-50 in one set and so forth. If not, put one story arc into a volume.

One of the things that holding me back from picking up the current stories of Batman, Green Lantern or any other super hero is that finding all the previous sequential issues can be a bit intimidating if not annoying.

I think the problem with a reboot is that you're basically saying, screw the current fans, we need new people to get interested in our stuff. Reboots only work if a the item rebooted is suffering from a lack of interest, i.e. Previous Batman movies vs Nolan's Batman. I don't see any drop in interest in the current DC universe to warrant a reboot.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
The only problem that I've ever had with rebooting comics is that they're still running. I don't mind if they'd say, re-draw the old comics with new dialogue, but Brightest Day and Blackest Night JUST HAPPENED, and now they're utterly irrelevant.

In my opinion that's kind of like making a Reboot to Mass Effect sceduled to release 2 months after Mass Effect 3. I can understand if it's something like say: ThunderStrike (for anyone who doesn't know, Thunderstrike is a character from the mid-90's who picked up Thor's hammer). Because he's been dead for about 20 years, but if the series is STILL GOING it shouldn't get the reboot.

Except in alternate Universes, but that's iffy because they're killing Spider-Man.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
So is this a full on reboot like 1985 or are they just retconning some stuff and changing a few costumes?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
See, I'm torn on this. On the one hand, "You broke up Lois and Clark?! The hell is wrong with you?!" There are certain established things in the D.C. universe that you simply do not touch. And saying that having Superman being married makes him boring is a total lie. It's the writers that make him boring, not marriage. Plus, Beast Boy and Raven STILL haven't ended up together, and that needs to be set down before the reboot.

On the other hand, the D.C. storyline has tied itself into so many knots that I'm pretty sure not even die hard comic fans know everything anymore, even about their favorite character. Sometimes you simply need to clean the slate and start over. I would also like to some of these characters get a better lot in their love lives. Everyone--save Superman--always seems to take a shot to the head when they fall in love in these comics. It's rather depressing.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Although I'm not surprised people are upset, people get upset about everything. Long running comic character series are a turn off to the interested but not obsessed. Complicated comic canon is possibly the most stupid thing the industry has to face - a sizeable (and preferred) chunk of my comic library is one-shots and short, self-contained stories that don't rely on the canon.

CrustyOatmeal

Jul 4, 2010
Twilight.falls said:
King Toasty said:

i too am not a DC reader (or a reader of any comic series for that matter) and it is exactly for the same reason you have stated. i do plan on starting to read this rebooted series however, most likely fallowing batman and any other comics that might catch my eye