Infinity Ward Teases Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Infinity Ward Teases Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition

Fans are going to have to wait until September to find out what's in the MW3 Hardened edition.

Robert Bowling, the creative strategist for Modern Warfare developer Infinity Ward, has revealed that there will be a "Hardened" collector's edition of Modern Warfare 3, but he isn't going to say what's for another few weeks.

Bowling revealed the Hardened edition on Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/fourzerotwo/status/94501930004512769], saying that he was literally on the factory line. His tweet included a picture of the game's box, with printing equipment behind it. He went on to say that fans would learn more about the Hardened edition at Call of Duty XP, the recently announced Call of Duty convention, which takes place in early September.

The Hardened versions of previous Call of Duty games have included Steelbook cases for the game, exclusive downloadable content, and in the case of Modern Warfare 2, an HD copy of the original Call of Duty. It's not outside the realms of possibility that Activision and Infinity Ward might include Call of Duty 2 this time around, however it's still being sold on Xbox Live for $30, so they might decide to offer something else as an incentive instead.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Source: via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/312981/modern-warfare-3-hardened-edition-pictured/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

MadMechanic

Nov 6, 2009
Well MW2's 'Hardened' editon came with an art book, so I'll assume this will too. And or a 'making of' book.

I'll be more interested to see what (if they do it again) the 'prestige' edition will have, after MW2's (absolutely useless) night vision goggles.
A mate's little brother bought a prestige set, I played with the goggles, and the phrase "my eyes, zee goggles do nothing!" was uttered...

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
Ever the pessimist, I can't understand why anyone would buy this! I myself have bought, (and been completely satisfied with special editions of games including Heavy Rain, Assassin's Creed & Bioshock. I buy these editions either to contribute a little more to developers who make the effort, (ie. games that I'm expecting to be really, really good) or simply because the universe the game is set in is worth the money expanding upon. With MW3, the first point is invalid, simply for the reasons that every game in the COD series since MW has been an absolute best-seller! And with the second point, it's pretty much obvious that 80% of the value gamers get with this game will be with the multiplayer. The game universe, in accordance with its story and characters, aren't celebrated at all like other games, for the simple reason that they aren't given much thought from the developers.

With this special edition, what could Infinity Ward include that doesn't break the game? Artbooks & soundtracks are brilliant with games that create a universe you can appreciate, but with MW's general lack of caring in this area, (obviously just my opinion, but for a good reason; I was bitten by MW2's Hardened Edition, and I'm not biting again!) what really could they include? Another car? o_0

AlphaEcho

Jun 16, 2010
Probably just going to give us some minimalist item so they can milk money from people who are actually that into the game.

Apr 28, 2008
I wonder if they'll put all languages in the base game this time, or keep them all in the Hardened Edition.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
That's making me hardened just looking at it. I'm sure it will be worth the extra money for some cheap plastic toy. Day 1 preorder.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
All I got from this is that they are still selling COD 2 on xbox lives digital distribution service for 30 bucks.

Who would pay that much for such an old game? Honestly, when I spend that much money to download off steam I get like 4-5 games.

Hell I got bfbc2 and all the dlc for a third the price COD 2 is being sold for. Damn you Xbox.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The only Call of Duty special set I regret not picking up is Black Ops hardened, and that's because it can with World at War's zombie maps. Oops.

September, huh? Hope I remember this because I'm going to be busy fighting the Chimera, Locust, and Lambent all during that month. Still, I am excited about this game.

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
MadMechanic said:
Well MW2's 'Hardened' editon came with an art book, so I'll assume this will too. And or a 'making of' book.

I'll be more interested to see what (if they do it again) the 'prestige' edition will have, after MW2's (absolutely useless) night vision goggles.
A mate's little brother bought a prestige set, I played with the goggles, and the phrase "my eyes, zee goggles do nothing!" was uttered...
Well decent III gen goggles are 7k euro at the moment. You can see why including them in the box wouldn't be a very good business model.

Not that I'd mind. Then I'd actually buy this game. Hell, I'd even play it!

Link XL1

Apr 6, 2010
yes activision we will give you lots of money, so that you can keep pumping these games out every year instead of taking the time to make them good

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Ubermetalhed said:
I hope there's a copy of Battlefield 3 in there.
Ha ha, oh wow.

Let's see... MW2 had NVG, so... could MW3 have IRG? I'd be happy with MW3 being not as bad for all I care...

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
MadMechanic said:
And or a 'making of' book.
"You see, we hit Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V a lot. And I mean a lot. Then brought in Michael Bay to write the story. Also, we told him this one needed more America."

I think they would only need a 'making of' post-it instead of a whole book.

OT: From the looks of it, fancy type case, that actually looks tastefully done. Then some form of booklet/DVD inside with the game.

Spoon E11

Oct 27, 2010
I have never bought a collectors edition game, ever. But if your going to do them do them properly, the Starcraft 2 collectors edition is done well, Activision should follow ... wait a minute they're the same company more or less.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
As far as collectors edition go, modern warfare does have some good swag. I liked the night vision goggles, very cool, but the RC car in Black Ops was kind of cheap.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
There's a Call of Duty convention now? Heaven help us!

Anyway, I still figure this will be a fairly standard midrange edition of the game. No doubt they will be going all out with the Prestige edition, seeing that this is the last MW game in the series (hah!).

My guess is a "fully functional" SAM turret, which actually turns out to be two cheap telescopes fixed onto a pair of metal table legs.

SamStar42

Oct 16, 2009
Oh hey it's an Escapist article about Call of Duty, I wonder if there's comments from people who are actually looking forward to a game rather than wasting their time making snide comments about a game trying to act superior ohhhhhhhh.