Dragon Age 2 Disappears From Steam

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dragon Age 2 Disappears From Steam

EA's troubles with Steam continue, as another game vanishes from the platform.

More EA games are disappearing from Valve's digital distribution platform Steam, this time BioWare's RPG sequel, Dragon Age 2. The game remains available on other services, such as Impulse, Direct2Drive, and, of course, EA's Origin service.

There's no information as to why the game has been removed, although some are speculating that it might have something to do with EA's decision to sell the latest DLC from within the game, rather than separately through Steam itself. That seems a reasonable explanation, but it's worth mentioning that Dragon Age: Origins also has in-game purchases, and it's still available. It won't be the first time that EA and Valve have butted heads over Steam; EA claimed that Crysis 2 was removed from Steam because EA had a deal with another distributor that violated Steam's rules , rules, EA added, that other distributors do not have.

It's a slightly strange situation, especially with Origin thrown into the mix. It's very easy to assume that this is part of some kind of digital distribution turf war, especially with Battlefield 3 skipping Steam entirely, but the truth might be something else entirely. We've reached out to both Valve and Steam hoping to learn a little bit more about what's going on, and will update if we get any more information.

Source: via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/313195/dragon-age-2-disappears-from-steam/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
castlewise said:
What about if you already owned it through steam. Can you still access it?
FPSMadPaul said:
castlewise said:
What about if you already owned it through steam. Can you still access it?
I'm interested to know this too, I would assume so.
Yes. You can still redownload it if you've already bought it, same with Crysis.

OT: They're only limiting themselves. They want to take control of their own patches and shit to "ensure quality of service" or whatever, but their service is worse. It'll only cost them money when people buy their games less.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
They only want to charge more. It's absurd. They can't even beat their own prices when compared to Steam.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I wish they'd get over this business.

Not distributing EA games through Steam doesn't help the customer one bit, and I don't see how it helps either Valve or EA.

Pappytech

Invested all my Souls into Res
Jun 7, 2011
Blarg. Steam has the monopoly on PC games. This is not going to change. EA needs to learn this before they begin to alienate their fanbase.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
If it isn't available through Steam, I'm not going to buy. I like Steam and I use it for my games. If a company wants to have it removed from Steam, they don't want to sell to me.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Interesting...this drama between EA and Valve is quite interesting at the very least. I don't think I've seen a throw down between companies like this before that I actually paid attention too. Oh well, less EA games on STEAM means less money EA gets from me. Works out fine, either way. Not like I buy anything of theirs other then Mass Effect and Dead Space on console anyway. *waves* Bye EA!
As much as people say "Competition is a good thing", Valve doesn't need it. I ALREADY get games for stupid cheap off of Valve the way they are. Competition is only good if it benefits the consumer by lowering prices. They really CAN'T get much lower then what I'm getting them for now. EA is not taking the right marketing steps for this Origin. They are SUPER expensive from what I've seen, 60 bucks for most titles for PC? Yeah, screw that.

danintexas

Jul 30, 2010
lol @ EA. Keep on the way you are - you will see where it gets you.

I know I am not alone in saying I will not be using multiple gaming services. Steam is #1 - they have the best prices and the best library. I won't be turning from them just to use a few EA titles that will I am sure be over priced.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I think we may be seeing the beginning of the downfall of Steam. That sort of pisses me off too but that's the result of each publisher having their own download service, it sets up a sort of monopoly.

It's like if EA owned Target, they wouldn't want to sell their games at Wal Mart as that would compete against them.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Cool, won't be buying any EA games for a while then, I rarely buy from a shop unless I happen to be in the area and have nothing better to do so it isn't me boycotting them or some stupid shit, I just generally don't go out of my way to purchase games. I also won't be getting Origin because I don't want to have to run even more software in the background.

So yeah, good job shooting yourself in the foot EA, I was looking forward to BF3 too.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Really I'm getting tired of Valve's little hissy-fit about EA trying to compete with Steam.
I mean seriously Valve - just deal with it.

For the record Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins both do the same thing with DLC, but strangely are still on Steam.

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Crono1973 said:
I think we may be seeing the beginning of the downfall of Steam. That sort of pisses me off too but that's the result of each publisher having their own download service, it sets up a sort of monopoly.

It's like if EA owned Target, they wouldn't want to sell their games at Wal Mart as that would compete against them.
I dunno. STEAM serves as a huge community thing too, not just a digital distribution service. I love using it to talk with friends while playing games. Origin and most other services don't do that. Plus, most aren't going to have the sales that STEAM pulls off. I think, once the Publishers start seeing how hard it is to break into that market with how loyal STEAM users are, they'll drop the idea. They'll start losing tons of money if only they offer it. PC gamers are very fickle about having multiple services running at once (I am at least, I'd PRAY that others are too).

Also, I refuse to use Orgin, ever. I'll buy EA titles off Amazon if I do purchase them. And if it requires Orgin, no purchase from me. It's my small effort to make them pay for such a dumb idea.

wiersmaster

Apr 12, 2010
I find it interesting, funny and worrying how everyone is saying how stupid and evil EA is doing something like this. All we know at the moment about the reason is this:

EA claimed that Crysis 2 was removed from Steam because EA had a deal with another distributor that violated Steam's rules , rules, EA added, that other distributors do not have.
ie: It's Valves fault. I know that's coming from EA etc. etc. But it's certainly not entirely wrong, and probably mostly right.

I like Steam a lot, but I find it a bit worrisome that people basically bash EA for something that Valve has done. Valve has earned a lot of credit over the years, but that isn't a reason to stop reading and just assume Valve/Steam = right, other guy = wrong. Even if that other guy is EA.