Consoles Are a Hit With Netflix Streamers, Says Survey

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Consoles Are a Hit With Netflix Streamers, Says Survey

The Wii is second only to the computer when it comes to Netflix streaming, with the PS3 and Xbox 360 following close behind.

According to a recent survey conducted by media research company Nielsen, a significant number of Netflix streaming customers use videogame consoles to watch content. The survey showed that the Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3 were three of the five most common methods that customers used to watch movies and TV shows on the service.

The Nielsen survey asked 12,000 people about their streaming habits. The most common streaming method was sitting in front of a computer, with 42% of those surveyed watching content that way, but interestingly, the second most common was the Wii, with 25% of respondents using it. The PS3 and Xbox 360 were the fourth and fifth most common ways respectively, with 13% having used the PS3, and 12% having used the Xbox 360.

The survey also looked at how people used Hulu, and found that the overwhelming majority - nearly 90% - watched content on a computer, with alternate methods like consoles proving much less popular. Only 3% of those surveyed used the Wii or PS3, and only 2% using the Xbox 360.

It's not just how people are watching content is different either, what they're actually watching is vastly different too. The majority of Netflix users are either watching just movies, or a mix of movies and TV shows, whereas Hulu users mainly watch TV shows. That's not particularly strange though, the two services have different focuses, so it makes sense that people use them differently.

Source: Nielsen [http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/what-netflix-and-hulu-users-are-watching-and-how/] via Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36129/Report_Half_Of_Netflix_Subscribers_Stream_Through_Consoles.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Its no surprise that Wii is leading consoles in the Netflix department given the fact that everyone and their goldfish has a Wii. Too bad the Wii has the worst interface for Netflix D:

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
My PS3 is currently designated as the Netflix machine. It's the only one that can connect to our wireless network reliably and only suffers when someone uses the microwave.

Speaking of netflix, I actually just watch the entire Roseanne series over this past month, from episode 1 to 226 (I think). Good show. Started on The Munsters last night.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
All I can really say is "No shit Sherlock". Consoles make it easy, and many people own consoles these days.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
My PS3 is my designated streaming device. Although I hate what they did with the interface. They took away the ability to search through categories, and I can't use the triangle button as a space anymore when typing in the search function. Navigating has gotten quite annoying.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
The Wii has the worst wireless network adapter. Everytime we try to watch it on the Wii we see alot of "Retrieving". We don't have these problems on the Panasonic Blu Ray player that sits right beside the Wii or the PC's in the bedroom that sit right beside our second Wii. The XBOX 360 never has any issues either. All devices are wireless but the Wii has the most amount of trouble, by far.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Richardplex said:
Am I a bad person if I've never heard of netflix?
Netflix is a North America only thing, so no you're not.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
I thank my lucky stars every day for my PS3 and its Netflix streaming ability. Thanks to it, I have seen a LOT of the anime on my "want to see" list.

(Pun totally intended by the way, if you can see it).

MechaHeretic

Jun 21, 2010
Wait, so the highest netflix-on-console streams belongs to the Wii? The only console that DOESN'T do HD? Damn, i guess everyone who bought the wii needs an excuse for the money they dropped on it.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Tank207 said:
My PS3 is my designated streaming device. Although I hate what they did with the interface. They took away the ability to search through categories, and I can't use the triangle button as a space anymore when typing in the search function. Navigating has gotten quite annoying.
You are not alone in that issue, I'm not quite sure what they added to the interface to necessitate removing that important feature. Between that and the price hike it's like they're trying to chase people to Hulu. Good thing Hulus service is horrible.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Fappy said:
Its no surprise that Wii is leading consoles in the Netflix department given the fact that everyone and their goldfish has a Wii. Too bad the Wii has the worst interface for Netflix D:
I dont have a wii xD

OT: I use Netflix alot because its basickly replaced TV for me

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Veldie said:
Fappy said:
I dont have a wii xD

Does your gold fish?

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
I have many computers in the house, so about half the streaming i do is at my Desktop, and the other half uses another desktop that I connected to the TV. I find that this arrangement works quite well.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Fappy said:
Veldie said:
Fappy said:
I dont have a wii xD

Does your gold fish?
I dont have a goldfish but my kitty duesnt have one. Blame Motion controls for me not having a wii and a lack of titles im intristed in as anything rerleased on vertual console i pretty much have since I still play my old consoles back when nintendo was awsome

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fappy said:
Beats trying to find good games on it....

I KID! DON'T KILL ME!

I love using my PS3 for Netflix, though. I don't think I've used netflix on my PC once since it became an actual program rather than the disc.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
I am both the 89% and 20% for Hulu. I usualy watch it on my gaming rig at my desk, and I have a second gaming rig connected to my TV that I use there at times. The one connected to my TV is my cousins old gaming system he gave to me and it included 1 TB worth of movies on the slave drive he ripped from his DVD collection. Thats why I hooked it up to the TV in the first place. I have since added a blue ray drive and wireless KB/mouse to it and upgraded my old surround sound speakers to 7.1 and put the old set on the TV rig. Plus since it was purposed as a gaming PC just last year it plays any game out there still but I would need to transfer save files from the main gaming rig to it so I dont usualy bother. plus my office chair is more comfortable than a couch lol.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Since when can you watch Hulu on your wii? When I go there with the opera browser it says it can't run flash