Free Crysis Wars Weekend

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Free Crysis Wars Weekend

War will be free and plentiful for PC gamers this weekend, providing they're packing the right hardware.

It's going to be a good weekend to hop onto the Crysis Wars servers to rack up some kills. EA and Crytek are offering the standalone multiplayer component of Crysis Warhead as a free download [http://www.mycrysis.com/newsdetails.php?news=38014] from Oct. 10 to Oct. 12. Before you get too giddy, be sure to check the minimum system requirements below.

The improved multiplayer experience features the Power Struggle and Instant Action modes from the original as well as a new, straightforward Team Instant Action - easily the biggest draw. Crysis Wars also includes 21 venues for slaying, ranging from immense battlefields to smaller duck and cover maps, and all of the weapons and vehicles from the game (including the latest additions). There are plenty of chokepoints, sniper positions, and fortified locations to swarm with teammates.

"We have been extremely pleased with the reception we have received from gamers and press for Crysis Warhead," said Cevat Yerli, Crytek's CEO and president. "Crysis Wars is definitely a big reason for this success and something we are dedicated to, not only as a part of future Crysis titles, but in terms of releasing new modes and continued support for our growing community."

Signup for the three day nanosuit-enhanced fragging spree begins today. Starting this morning, players can logon at www.mycrysis.com [http://www.mycrysis.com] to register to receive Crysis Wars for free. Those who register will receive an activation key via e-mail that will allow them to play the game on LAN or Gamespy servers for the entire weekend. The killing begins at 11 a.m. PT on Friday and continues until 11:59 p.m. PT on Sunday.

Here are the official [http://www.mycrysis.com/gameguidesite.php?site=29190] minimum system requirements to run Crysis Wars at 30 frames per second:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66GHz 3M Processor
RAM: 1GB (1.5GB on Windows Vista)
Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce 6800GT, ATI Radeon 9800Pro (Radeon X800 for Vista) or better
VRAM: 256MB of Graphics Memory
Storage: 15GB
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Microsoft Vista
ODD: DVD-ROM
DirectX: DX9.0c or DX10

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
It's actually good fun, the Power Struggle mode at least. Combines Counterstrike, Battlefield, and Crysis. It encourages ninja point-stealing and some fun sneaky tactics.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Eh, if you can run Crysis, you can run Warhead. Especially if it's only the CPU bearing you down. Naturally you've got to turn down post-processing.

Anyway, Crysis Wars is awesome, but it's still not as good as say a "standalone multiplayer" would be, but it is way better than most "thrown in multiplayer" on games. Actually it's the only game I know of that has a portable Nuke launcher. Until Fallout 3 gets here.

(Oh, and MGS3 doesn't count because you don't get to use it ;_; )

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
Oh, I was all excited then, I thought you could keep it forever. But no, it's for two days only. :(

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
Wars is actually easier on the system than warhead. It trades visual fidelity for performance, as most multiplayer games should. On my system there's some draw-in and a bit of LoD distance lag, but you've still got a good-looking MP game.

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
I really liked Crysis MP, but I've heard some bad stuff about Crysis Wars. Like that they reduced recoil ridiculously.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
Unknower post=7.73298.791888 said:
I really liked Crysis MP, but I've heard some bad stuff about Crysis Wars. Like that they reduced recoil ridiculously.
Well he is in a power suit I expect that it would reduce recoil

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Dual Core... yeh, I'm out. Though, all the other specs, I fit, but my P4 2.8GHz won't work, eh?

Jamanticus

Sep 7, 2008
Khell_Sennet post=7.73298.791489 said:
Its funny, my computer ran Crysis damn near maxed, so I think the CPU requirement is drastically overblown.
It's really amazing how the processor requirements are like that for so many games. I remember that the recommended cpu speed for Oblivion when it came out was 3.0 Ghz. That was really fast back then, and Oblivion didn't require anywhere near that speed to run well (even with the graphics maxed).

Hmmm....I wish I had Crysis: Warhead right now so I could participate in this fun...

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Remember, your video card is what holds the flag in the long run.

stompy post=7.73298.792661 said:
Dual Core... yeh, I'm out. Though, all the other specs, I fit, but my P4 2.8GHz won't work, eh?
My friend is running it on a P4 2.8ghz with everything on low to medium graphics. Though he does have a 7600GT video card.

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
smallharmlesskitten post=7.73298.792246 said:
Unknower post=7.73298.791888 said:
Well he is in a power suit I expect that it would reduce recoil
Well yeah, but from the video I saw, you shoot more accurately while standing than you do in Crysis MP when you're in prone.