HBO Performs Rumor Control On American Gods

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
HBO Performs Rumor Control On American Gods

Hate to break it to you, folks, but HBO isn't nearly as far along with American Gods as some news stories would have you believe.

Ever since it was announced that HBO was going to be developing Neil Gaiman's American Gods into a full-fledged TV series, details have been pretty scarce about the eventual adaptation. Of course, that hasn't stopped rumors from flying across the Web. Unsurprisingly, a couple of HBO's executives recently sat down with Collider to put some of those rumors to rest.

Michael Lombardo and Richard Plepler of HBO dealt with the two big rumors about the show: That Game of Thrones' success would affect the development of American Gods and that HBO had already committed six seasons to the new show.

With regards to the first claim, Lombardo took the lead:

"We haven't gotten out of the business of developing from source material. We haven't said, 'Ah, Game of Thrones, we're not taking pitches anymore.' I think it's a challenge, always. We want to satisfy as many of our consumers as we can. But, at the end of the day, what we respond to is great storytelling. We had three psychiatrist shows on at almost the same time. So, all I'm saying is, with source material from the fantasy world - and I don't know how much you can extrapolate about George R.R. Martin because he's very unique in the world - some pretty compelling shows can come from genre and source material. We're open to it, we're developing it, and we'll see."

Meanwhile, the claim that there were already six seasons being planned was explained as being nothing more than wild speculation. Lombardo stated, "It's very early development. It hasn't gotten to the place to even talk about that yet."

Plepler followed up his colleague by explaining that "things like [American Gods] get announced as development projects, and then somebody writes about it, as if there's a 10-year commitment, and we haven't even seen a script yet. That happens frequently. It's in early development."

Basically, there are two things to take away from this. The first is that HBO isn't nearly as far along with this project as is being reported (and fans were undoubtedly hoping). However, the second thing is that the network is convinced that it has something special on its hands and wants to treat the source material with the respect it deserves.

Source: Collider via <a href=http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=43205>Comic Book Movie

<a href=http://themediawitches.blogspot.com/2011/04/american-gods-shapes-up-to-begood.html>Image Source

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Haven't read American Gods yet, but if it's as good as Neverwhere (Essentially Metro 2000: London), they would be idiots to pass it over.

Stevey M

Technobabbler
Feb 11, 2009
These rumours being declared false isn't too surprising. Especially the six season booking; that just doesn't happen.

I am really psyched for this show, though, and hope that The Escpaist continues to follow its development in their newsposts, like with Game of Thrones.

Oh, broken EM tag in the description, by the way.

Stilkon

Feb 19, 2011
HBO almost always treat their shows with respect, this being no exception.

barash

Mar 29, 2010
The Cheezy One said:
Haven't read American Gods yet, but if it's as good as Neverwhere (Essentially Metro 2000: London), they would be idiots to pass it over.
In my opinion, it's better. I also consider Neverwhere to be friggin Awesome, so you might wanna pick it up :)

Zinkoff

May 22, 2011
I don't recall asking for "American Gods" on my TV. Neil Gaiman's books are amazing but I can only imagine that it's going to get a brutal bastardization once translated to film.

The Cheezy One said:
"Neverwhere" is probably his greatest book. I would recommend "American Gods" if you love Neil Gaiman and have an open mind. I had to read it twice to fully understand what was going on but it's a great read overall. It's an apocalypse story with gods walking amongst us.

Another great story that he co-wrote with Terry Pratchet is "Good Omens"; it's an apocalypse novel that could have been written by Monty Python.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Zinkoff said:
I don't recall asking for "American Gods" on my TV. Neil Gaiman's books are amazing but I can only imagine that it's going to get a brutal bastardization once translated to film.

The Cheezy One said:
"Neverwhere" is probably his greatest book. I would recommend "American Gods" if you love Neil Gaiman and have an open mind. I had to read it twice to fully understand what was going on but it's a great read overall. It's an apocalypse story with gods walking amongst us.

Another great story that he co-wrote with Terry Pratchet is "Good Omens"; it's an apocalypse novel that could have been written by Monty Python.
Neverwhere was tv series before it was a book, Gaiman adapted his own tv script into a book. Seeing that Gaiman already has extensive screen writing credits, I strongly suspect that he is doing the script. The guy has divorce to pay for so you are going to get on the small screen if you like or not.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I've never heard of that series before, in fact, it's the first time I even knew of it's existance.

May 5, 2010
Wait, 6 seasons? How is that going to work? That book shouldn't take up more then one season. I think a mini-series would be better.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Don't care. HBO should just produce True Blood and Game of Thrones for the rest of the year ^^

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Wait, 6 seasons? How is that going to work? That book shouldn't take up more then one season. I think a mini-series would be better.
I think they were referring to Game of Thrones, although it does look like they were meaning American Gods. And it does make more sense for GoT, considering the fifth book is now out, and the sixth might be out by the time the series gets to the fifth season.....maybe.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
If there is a company i'd entrust doing a show/movie based off Neil's books it has to be HBO. Please make it happen, it's a great story that could be told in so many ways, hopefully they could manage to get Neil to work with them on the episodes and maybe even add Anansi's Boys to the mix since it's pretty much side-story to American Gods.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Whoever said that they wouldn't make a fantasy series because there's already a popular fantasy series seems to have no knowledge of how TV execs think.

maantren

Jan 16, 2008
The Random One said:
Whoever said that they wouldn't make a fantasy series because there's already a popular fantasy series seems to have no knowledge of how TV execs think.
Absolutely. Also, there's really no such thing as a 6-season commitment, or even a 2-season commitment, when it comes to a new drama series. Everything beyond the first season is just an option. Weird to see the '6 season' thing getting repeated by entertainment journalists - outside The Escapist - that should know better.

Cheers

Colin

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
Even as a Neil Gaiman fanboy, I consider 'American Gods' to be one of the finest books (not just 'one of the finest fantasy books', but all genres lumped together!) ever written. The story is absolutely magnificent.

And I have to say, with Game of Thrones HBO proved to me that they can transfer an amazing story to the small screen, while staying faithful to the source material and only changing things required to the medium.

I'm hopeful. Although it's impossible to put all of American Gods into one season, and they'd need a big ass budget to do justice to it, considering all those dream scenes and surreal experiences. I mean... House on the Rock anyone?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Spinozaad said:
Even as a Neil Gaiman fanboy, I consider 'American Gods' to be one of the finest books (not just 'one of the finest fantasy books', but all genres lumped together!) ever written. The story is absolutely magnificent.

And I have to say, with Game of Thrones HBO proved to me that they can transfer an amazing story to the small screen, while staying faithful to the source material and only changing things required to the medium.

I'm hopeful. Although it's impossible to put all of American Gods into one season, and they'd need a big ass budget to do justice to it, considering all those dream scenes and surreal experiences. I mean... House on the Rock anyone?

Thats easy its a real place http://www.thehouseontherock.com/HOTR_Attraction_PhotoGalleryShow.htm . If you look through you can see many of things described in the book.

Apr 17, 2009
Spinozaad said:

Or the trippy bit on Yggdrasil...