Meet Overlord Butterscotch, The Fire-Breathing Pony

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Meet Overlord Butterscotch, The Fire-Breathing Pony

Equal parts clockwork monstrosity and adorable childhood holdover, Overlord Butterscotch may be the raddest creation to come from this year's Maker Faire.

Unfamiliar with the event, you say? Imagine Maker Faire [http://makerfaire.com/] as a huge gathering of techies, robot builders, hobby engineers and geeks, in which groups display their latest, greatest creations. Each iteration of the Faire -- it's held in multiple locations, at multiple times of year -- produces some incredible and incredibly bizarre machines, but rarely do you see something as capital-A awesome as Overlord Butterscotch.

Created by Louisville, KY hacker collective LVL1, Butterscotch is essentially a hobby horse tricked out with an oral flamethrower. From the group's site:

Butterscotch: 20% macabre skinned robotic pony child's toy, 10% Wii nunchuck I2C debugging, 10% flame-thrower, and 60% safety afterthoughts. Your video was posted on BoingBoing with a representative sample of LVL1 membership. It deserves a Venn diagram of utilikilts, mohawks, and pink attire. Overlord Butterscotch is a fire-breathing pony who captured the hearts of thousands of makers, but only singed a few. Better luck next year! Edit: Butterscotch also received 2 Editor's Choice Awards.

Notice that bit about the Wiimote? As if creating a hellsteed straight out of a 1980s Mattel advertisement wouldn't generate enough nostalgic whimsy, LVL1 hacked a Wii controller to serve as the controls for Butterscotch's flame-spewing head. Beats Wii Sports, huh?

Oh, and did I mention that LVL1 plans to give Butterscotch complete wireless mobility in the near future? Or that the Book of Revelations mentions this thing by name no less than 16 times? Or that the spirit of Ronnie James Dio lives eternally trapped within a gem affixed to the pony's head?

What I'm saying here is, this thing is pretty rad. Nice job LVL1.

Source: Engadget [http://www.lvl1.org/2011/08/01/thank-you-maker-faire/]

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
So this is why everyone is into ponies now. They conspire to take over the WORLD! Run! Run whilst you can! I shall do my best to stop this menace from spreading any further!

Though I must say that this was pretty awesome for a pony.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
excuse me, but what the hell?
who spends their free time working on a fire breathing pony?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
pspman45 said:
Who spends their free time working on a fire-breathing ANYTHING?

Holyeskimo

Jul 14, 2010
pspman45 said:
Good point, it should also fire rockets, they're clearly not put there full effort into this project, it should also dispense drinks.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
kingcold32 said:
pspman45 said:
Good point, it should also fire rockets, they're clearly not put there full effort into this project, it should also dispense drinks.
It also needs a jetpack

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
pspman45 said:
kingcold32 said:
pspman45 said:
It also needs a jetpack
And the ability to dispense/cook bacon

Either way, awesome

Caffeine Rage

Mar 11, 2011
Maybe it is just me, but I'm slightly disappointed that they made it fire breathing instead of making it come out of the other end. Maybe I'm just looking at the more comedic side of what this could have been.

Otherwise, it is impressive. I do hope that they make it more... horse like. The missing section of neck is kind odd looking. Then again, it is shooting fire, who am I to judge?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Formica Archonis said:
imnotparanoid said:
I hope the mlpfim team see this.
What I can hope!
Pinkamena said:
mlp meds this in the show.
I find it scary that the only two people who mentioned MLP want it in the show and both have Pinkamena avatars.
Maybe it's a sign...

OT: Awesome! I don't really have anything else to say. Although I do hope this is in series 2 of MLP.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I can foreseen fanarts of this fire breathing pony in MLP:FiM artstyle. I'm calling it right now!