Foxconn Replacing Workers With Robots

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Foxconn Replacing Workers With Robots

iPad manufacturer Foxconn is replacing its notoriously suicidal workers with robots.

You may recall that Foxconn, the massive Taiwanese contract manufacturer that produces the iPad and iPhone, as well as components for companies including Dell, Asus, Intel, Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony, was having some trouble last year. Despite the company's best efforts to prevent them, employees working at the massive Shenzhen factory kept on committing suicide [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.198557-Suicides-Spur-Nintendo-Sony-and-Others-to-Investigate-Foxconn]. Though not as numerous as many news sources made them out to be, the suicides were a constant source of embarrassment for the company. In response Foxconn promised to pay its workers something that resembled a living wage, it piped calming music into its factories and put anti-suicide nets under their windows, it even got its workers to sign an agreement specifically stating they wouldn't try to off themselves [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.198557-Suicides-Spur-Nintendo-Sony-and-Others-to-Investigate-Foxconn]. Now Foxconn is taking the next logical step. They're going to replace the fallible human workers with unfeeling automatons.

Foxconn will be using the robots to do fairly mundane tasks such as spraying, welding and assembling components, jobs which currently belong to traditional meat-based workers. Terry Gou, founder and Chairman of Foxconn, announced that the company would be increasing Foxconn's current staff of robots from 10,000 to one million over the next three years. Foxconn, for the record, currently employs around 1.2 million people. Gou made this announcement last Friday evening at a worker's dance party, just in case workers were thinking of having a good time.

The decision may be Foxconn's answer to numerous accusations of employee mistreatment. Robots, you understand, don't complain about poor wages, unpaid overtime, or being beaten by the security staff [http://www.dailytech.com/Another+Foxconn+Worker+Commits+Suicide+Video+of+Employee+Beating+Leaks/article18471.htm], nor do they care if the factory they're working in is built on top of a baby burial ground next to a haunted lake. [http://www.dailychilli.com/news/4159-restless-spirits-at-foxconn-plant] Most importantly, robots cannot self-terminate.

Source:Gamepolitics.com [http://gamepolitics.com/2011/08/01/foxconn039s-rising-robotic-work-force]

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Grey Carter said:
it even got its workers to sign an agreement specifically stating they wouldn't try to off themselves.
And if you break it and succeed, what? Are they going to sue you?

OT: I guess I can see the logic in this

Tesral

Jul 19, 2011
Working at Foxconn, all these robots are going to end up like Marvin

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
CM156 said:
Grey Carter said:
it even got its workers to sign an agreement specifically stating they wouldn't try to off themselves.
And if you break it and succede, what? Are they going to sue you?

Presumably you get a warning. Three of those and you get a suspension.

CM156_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2011
Grey Carter said:
CM156 said:
Grey Carter said:

I ment if you succeed in killing youself.

They can't really give a dead guy a warning.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
CM156 said:
Grey Carter said:
And if you break it and succeed, what? Are they going to sue you?

probably take away any benefits your family might receive if you do off yerself, i'd guess.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
CM156 said:
Grey Carter said:
CM156 said:
Grey Carter said:

That was kind of the joke, bro.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
There comes a point when replacing all jobs with cheap/free labour leads to the inability for anyone to buy anything which leads to the total collapse of economics as we know it and the inevitable end of a profit based monetary system. Another case of capitalism eating itself to stay alive, eventually you gunna run out of things to cut off and cook.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
The problem with robots is that they do not stimulate the economy. They don't pay taxes, they don't buy anything, they don't circulate money.

Meanwhile, people who need money to eat and have a place to stay (therefore, helping the economy) are left without a job in a market where there ARE NO JOBS. If they're suicidal now, imagine when they don't have any way to support their family!

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Dana22 said:
In related news: Suicides spike at Foxconn due to the mass layoffs.
Well, if that were to happen, wouldn't the related news be along the lines of "Sudden spike in unemployment drops immediately due to mass suicides".

Unless of course, they break into the factory just to commit suicide there...

... I think I've reached my grim comment quota for the day, this is just depressing.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Tesral said:
Working at Foxconn, all these robots are going to end up like Marvin

Marvin, the only android in the universe capable of making other computers - who are not even built for such emotions - sulk and self-destruct.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Gou made this announcement last Friday evening at a worker's dance party, just in case workers were thinking of having a good time.
...wow. J-Just wow, really guys? REALLY?!?!

On behalf of John Stewart...and perhaps the long forgotten HankMan, I reward Foxconn this:

Hell, if they're lucky, maybe Foxconn can go for Dick Move of the year!

Stay classy, Foxconn.

CM156_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2011
Grey Carter said:
CM156 said:
Grey Carter said:
CM156 said:
Grey Carter said:

That was kind of the joke, bro.
I see. I can't really tell tone over the internet.

Perhaps they would bring them back as a zombie only to give the zombie a warning.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
James River blues
I just heard the awful news
I could steer around the rocks
But they're bustin' down the docks

James River blues
That train came on through
And the work's gotten slow
Now where's a boat man to go?

I think I'll float on down
To Richmond town
They don't need us anymore
Haulin' freight from shore to shore
That big iron hauls much more
Than we ever could before

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-hmhF9cn_k[/link]

Seemed appropriate.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Gou made this announcement last Friday evening at a worker's dance party, just in case workers were thinking of having a good time."

Bwahahaha, epic journalism! :D