DSi Region Locked

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
DSi Region Locked

U.S. gamers planning on importing Nintendo's upcoming DSi handheld before 2009 are not amused.

No import for you! Nintendo confirmed [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198728] this week DSi only software will be region locked. This applies to downloadable games as well as any eventual DSi-specific cartridge-based software, according to Nintendo. However, you'll still be able to surf the net and share pictures from anywhere in the world regardless of region. While regular DS games will remain playable on either iteration of the handheld, the DSi's region lock quashes any reason to import it before the U.S. release.

In a statement to CVG, Nintendo offers some explanation for the region lock. "DSi embeds net communication functionality within itself, and we are intending to provide net services specifically tailored for each region." Additionally, Nintendo explains parental control functionality will be included on the DSi, and different regions have a unique, independent age limit.

The company's clarification came this week after NOA executive vice president Cammie Dunaway shot from the hip in an interview with Wired's Game | Life blog [http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/post.html], stating "I believe that just as you can currently buy a DS in Japan and use it here in the U.S., that you should be able to do that with DSi."

Big whoops.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
I really hate the whole concept behind region locks. It seems anti-competitive, and severely limits the freedoms consumers have. As far as I'm concerned, it's none of Nintendo's business when and where people buy their hardware. Once they release it to the retailers, their control should end, period.

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
By the way, region-specific services can be provided based on the IP and the provider bandwith used, right ?

Then this is a weak excuse that makes no sense whatsoever...

The only reason they keep consoles region-locked is to please distributors and here probably ISPs who can offer their (most probably) overpriced service packs.

Do I need to remind you that Opera for DS is basically overpriced and almost useless, were it not the sole (official) DS web browser...

Bobmaster, I think only the Nomad was region locked so far... and well I don't think it counts as a handheld in fact...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I should be appalled at this, but since the list of DS carts I've bought reads like this.
Starfox Command
Elite Beat Agents
Homebrew Cartridge> Colors.

It's not really relevant to me. What I do wan to know is this, why are Nintendo speccing the DSi with such a subpar camera? You can get phones with 5mp cameras in them now, so the argument that it wouldn't fit is plain daft. I was expecting at least a 1-2mp camera to persuade me to buy the damn thing. I can already do the Internet and mp3 thing thanks to the wonders of Homebrew...

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
A lot of lisencing and copyright laws cause the general need for region locking. I'm honestly surprised it took this long for this to happen.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Region locking makes sense economically. It means that Nintendo can charge more to sell the games to foreign distributors, and any way a company can make more money, they will. Plus, it means they can control demand in other countries by controlling the supply of games/consoles available in other countries. While the consumer may dislike the company's use of region locking, most will still buy it when it comes out in their country. It also means that countries that palce governemental controls on games, such as Australia's ban on Manhunt 2, can be more easily enforced. Also, because importing has not become as mainstream as video games in general, there is not as much influence on companies to make importing easier. Of course, this IS Nintendo, so millions of people will buy the thing anyway as soon as it comes out.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Khell_Sennet post=7.73406.795033 said:
As a person who hates shipping international (thus doesn't often buy from non-Canadian websites) and abhors travel, I don't see region codes as a problem. I sure as hell am not moving out of Canada within the lifespan of a DSi, so what's the big deal with a region lock?
I don't plan on moving out of my country soon either, but there are plenty of games that I have that haven't been released in the country I live in (Ouendan, Chrono Trigger, Radiant Silvergun, Phoenix Wright 3) so it helps that I'm not expected to buy the same system multiple times if I all I want is to play the game. Also, games like Elite Beat Agents probably wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the huge interest that Ouendan garnered.

I can see this only increasing piracy once the DSi is hacked.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
RAKtheUndead post=7.73406.794887 said:
So, what excuse will they pull out of their ass for this one? I mean, the PAL/NTSC one worked on a technical level, because there was an actual level of difference between the television systems, but this makes absolutely no sense at all, apart from the continual screwing of the European and Australian gamer (and you do know that we're the ones that are going to be diddled out of our money). I mean, we're the ones who pay more for our games anyway, and our internet connections are extremely slow compared to the Americans, let alone the Japanese and Koreans. With these sorts of speeds, the text-based browser is actually an option that you'd be inclined to resort to.

So, I'm stuck with my PC as the only option if I want region-free gaming? So be it. If ever there was a time to be satisfied as a PC elitist, now's the time.
Considering how badly the PC has been shafted by developers and publishers lately I'll take any chance I can get to crow about the PC. Euro imports are my lifeblood as a gamer since so few of the great Euro-developed strategy games make it stateside.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Khell_Sennet post=7.73406.795233 said:
I have yet to see a game so good that I'd go to the trouble of importing internationally just to get a copy, not even for FF7 or Armored Core, so if I can't get it locally I won't bother.
These days it's way cheaper and almost less of a hassle getting games abroad here (through sites like Play-Asia) than it is to drive to a game store to get the game. But this is northern Europe, so YMMV.

But yes, no import means no business in a lot of cases here.

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
fix-the-spade post=7.73406.795100 said:
Cyclomega post=7.73406.795029 said:
But can you do the twist ?
Twist it!
Shake it Shake it Shake it Shake it baby!

and yes actually.
Sweet.

Back on topic, it's always fun to see how much companies seem to despise making PROFITS by region-locking (also in terms of distribution) some products with a very high potential, language barrier or not (like some obscure fighting games that are actually great, little known RPGs or parts of series -I'm thinking Tales of Destiny 2 and Tales of Rebirth for instance), or when they release them, these products are either badly translated or maimed by removing features (why can't they simply find an agreement to make net-playable Japanese PS2 games playable in the US and in Europe ? is it THAT hard to export the Access/KDDB service SNK and Sammy ?).

Anyway, I stopped nurturing illusions, and to put it bluntly, if the Japanese and Koreans are elitist, xenophobic wankers who insist on staying between themselves hating each other but playing together like we all don't exist, they they are so short-sighted that even Hubble wouldn't help...

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
James Raynor post=7.73406.795873 said:
Looks like a case of Xenophobia... or something like that.
More like a case of "we want to strike juicy deals with local ISPs bcause IT PRINTS MONEY !"

http://theslackerz.com/index.php?nav=Comic&Page=96