Modern Warfare 3 Heading to the Wii

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Modern Warfare 3 Heading to the Wii

Activision wants to make sure that everyone is invited to the Modern Warfare 3 party.

Activision has confirmed that as well as gracing the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360, the latest Call of Duty game, Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00503E8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312475201&sr=8-1], will make its way to the Wii. The Modern Warfare series has an inconsistent history on the Wii, with only one of the two games release so far appearing on the console.

Speaking during an investors call, Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said that the publisher didn't want to leave any of the Call of Duty community "out of the excitement." That's a bit of a change from previous Modern Warfare games; The first in the series took two years to make it to the Wii, and Modern Warfare 2 has yet to appear.

While some might question how much of an audience a game like Modern Warfare 3 will have on the Wii, Activision clearly thinks that it's enough to warrant porting the game over. Hirshberg didn't say who was working on the Wii version, although Treyarch has plenty of experience, having handled the port of the first Modern Warfare , as well as releasing all of its Call of Duty games on the console.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, Xbox 360, and presumably the Wii, on November 8th.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-03-modern-warfare-3-wii-confirmed]

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I would agree with the Wii not having the right audience part. The only people in my household who play the Wii are my Mum and little sister, they definitely won't be getting MW3. I also don't know anyone who owns a Wii whilst also would play MW3.

But hey, if people want to play MW3 on the Wii, then feel free to.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
Obligatory lulz CoD/Wii comment: On the side note, it'll be kinda funny to see how it runs and plays on it.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
This is a bit strange. Anyone I know who would buy COD games and has a wii, always have either a 360 or PS3 as well. I'm pretty sure I know what console they wouldn't be buying it on.

For those I know who only have a wii, they would never buy a COD game.

Feb 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Activision wants to make sure that everyone's wallet is invited to the Modern Warfare 3 party.
Better.

But the Wii? C'mon guys, that's a console designed for parties and get togethers. It's like playing Operation Wolf with cursor keys...you've lost the main part of what make the game work.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
lol CoD and Wii.

But hey thats good news for Wii owners. I'm sure someone out there is excited for this.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Am I the only person who saw this as a sign of the complete assimilation of Infinity Ward by Activision?

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Black Ops sold like 2 mil on the Wii. I think CoD4 did the same. They have more than enough reason to port it.
Well maybe if Bobby Kotick was shot in the head with a rocket launcher,maybe Activision would care less about money.

OT: This is just sad,they tried this shit 3 damn times and it was the equivilant to shovelware the first two times,I don't know about the third. But really,why the hell make this game on Wii,it's like trying to make Dead Space on Wii but making it a rail shoo-OH WAIT!!!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
looks like even the Wii isnt safe

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
My little brother has MW1 and BO on his Wii. Mom and Dad don't want to spend the money on a 360. And oddly enough, I have a wierd kind of respect for CoD players on the Wii. The unusual control scheme is a big hurdle to overcome, and it's kinda cool to watch him master it and aim with the Wiimote.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Activision wants to make sure that everyone's wallet is invited to the Modern Warfare 3 party.
Better.

But the Wii? C'mon guys, that's a console designed for parties and get togethers. It's like playing Operation Wolf with cursor keys...you've lost the main part of what make the game work.
The excessive autoaim and lack of finesse that dual analogue shackles you to?

MW1 came out a year late and sold 1 million on the wii. BLOPS came out and wasn't even mentioned on the advertising campaigns for it and still sold a million.

If you know you've got a million sales from doing a port you might as well for the money you get from it.

Feb 13, 2008
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
If you know you've got a million sales from doing a port you might as well for the money you get from it.
If you know you've got a million sales, no matter what quality of port, then why would you put the man-hours in?

That's the problem. They've no incentive to strive, and that means it's safer for them to slapdash a quick port.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Oh I can smell the quality already :D
But hey printing money is always fun, maybe they could make a facebook CoD aswell?

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
If you know you've got a million sales, no matter what quality of port, then why would you put the man-hours in?

That's the problem. They've no incentive to strive, and that means it's safer for them to slapdash a quick port.
True and I wasn't stating that it would be a quality port just a port. The state of the industry makes me sad :(

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Considering the graphics look the same as COD4 did in 2007, yeah, I can see this actually running rather smoothly on the Wii.

Provided they use the classic controller and don't try to force any gimmicky waggle bullshit on the game.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Jonny49 said:
Am I the only person who saw this as a sign of the complete assimilation of Infinity Ward by Activision?
That sign has been around since that whole 'mass exodus' business that happened after MW2. IW is just a husk of it's former self and only kept around for name dropping on the box.