Let Atlus Eat Cake to Celebrate Catherine's 1st Week Sales Numbers

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Let Atlus Eat Cake to Celebrate Catherine's 1st Week Sales Numbers

Quirky puzzle/dating sim Catherine is Atlus' fastest selling game and we have a cake to prove just how many units it moved.

Frankly, I've been a bit surprised by all the attention that Catherine received both leading up to its release and the critical acclaim it got afterwards. I haven't yet played it (I'm waiting to borrow Susan's copy) and I'm sure it's a great game, but it seems like a title destined for cult fandom. The excitement of the press seems to finally have translated into actual sales for Japanese developer Atlus, according to marketing executive Tim Pivnicny.

"Catherine has exceeded our highest expectations," said Pivnicny yesterday. "Catherine can boast the largest launch in the 20-year history of Atlus, and continues to see strong sales at retail."

But just how many copies were sold Pivnicny didn't divulge. Until today. Via cake-o-gram.

The celebratory confection clearly congratulates Atlus employees for shipping 200,000 units of Catherine last week. Here's hoping they triple that number by the end of the month!

(Although, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed by the cake decorations. I mean, the box art is provocative enough I suppose, but I was really hoping that I'd see some erotic cakes that only Patrick Stewart can make. [http://www.rowsdowr.com/2010/07/12/patrick-stewart-sexy-cakes-snl-sketch-video/])

Source: IGN [https://twitter.com/#!/AtlusUSA/status/99153805672845312]

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Well it's nice to see that my 80 dollars helped contribute to this celebration cake,I hope they save me a slice,it looks delicious!

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Happily contributed. Congratulations to Atlus. Proving once again that good taste, customer loyalty, knowledge of your audience and business smarts prevails every time.

Nintendo of America, pay attention.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
This is the best news post ever. Not just because of the awesome Catherine cake, but because of that awesome Patrick Stewart video. I can never get enough of Patrick Stewart saying funny things. It's the only reason I watch American Dad.

<youtube=VZqHFaMVj2Q>

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Humanity
<youtube=-yNhl8wT3Pc>
I was expecting this game to tank at sales. I was thankfully mistaken, sometimes a great, original and intelligent property can also be financially successful. It's rare but I'm happy it happened.
once again, Humanity, for once you have made me proud.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
That's great for them, Atlus is a great dev and deserve som recognition, finally! It's just too bad Persona never did this good, I liked that a whole lot more.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Woo! Here's to the little guy! Atlus definitely deserves more recognition than it gets, they really do their best to put out quality stuff no matter how niche it is. Both Persona 3 and Catherine have made me an Atlus fan, so I am eagerly waiting for their next titles (*coughcoughPersona5?coughcough*)

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Great link to the video. That's really it. But it is good to see that original games sell well, not just remakes of the last game that did well.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Go Atlus, you guys deserve it after such a long time of being awesome.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Im... rather glad. I always like to support atlus, cause they usually do a good job at making good games. and it just means that we'll see more like Catherine, and that;s a HUGE thumbs up from me.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
I share greg titos surprisal about the game, still 200,000 unit's isn't that large a number so it could still remain a cult hit, which i'm sure would make a lot of hipsters happy

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I'm watching Atlus turn into the Squaresoft of the PS2 and PS3 era. Between Catherine, Persona, and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting, Atlus continues to release games I'm actively interested in and want to play whereas others are a passing interest.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
good thing I bought a copy otherwise it would have only been 199,999 units.

I feel so special.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Watching that Patrick Stewart video was totally worth me reading this article!

I'm intrigued by Catherine and very happy for Atlas! Now hopefully they'll just send it to Europe and maybe they can have MORE cake! *hint hint*

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Bought it this morning. I just finished Day 4 and am in awe. This game is fucking brilliant. And that's coming from someone who had no interest in the game whatsoever until two weeks ago.