Interview: League of Legends: Dominion and Riot Games

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Interview: League of Legends: Dominion and Riot Games

Lead Producer Travis George talks to us about League of Legends: Dominion and Riot Games' design process.

Read Full Article

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Well, I'm quite hopefull for this Dominion mode to arrive.
It is a bit of a shame that they made a big fuss about it on their forums before announcing it that we should be thrilled cause THIS WEEK WILL BE AWESOME!!!!1!1! Yeah, the announcement was good and all but they could have been more subtle.

Anyway, as long as I can keep playing as Anivia, I don't care. :p

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Completely off topic, but I found it really weird that you were using the abbreviation "TEM," when my clan tag is |TEM|.

But to be actually relevant, I don't think this will bring me back into the game, the community just ruins the fun way to much.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Should have asked riot why there still isn't a Mac client after announcing its development a year and a half ago.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
walrusaurus said:
Should have asked riot why there still isn't a Mac client after announcing its development a year and a half ago.
Macs bring zero money unless you make it compatible from the start.

Tropico1

Aug 27, 2008
I've taken so many rides on Riot's Hype-Excitement-Delay-Disappointment rollercoaster that I'm just gonna wait til I see it before I believe it (or before I even consider picking up LoL again).

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Abedeus said:
walrusaurus said:
I think Valve making all there games and more and more of steam Mac compatable might disagree.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
WolfLordAndy said:
Abedeus said:
walrusaurus said:
I think Valve making all there games and more and more of steam Mac compatable might disagree.
There is a huge difference between making a new game Mac-compatible from the start or updating a relatively old game (TF2), based on how LONG it took them to do it, and making an already released, but not old game compatible.

Can't expect a 2009 game to just decide to spend thousands on making it run on Macs. Especially if the game is free to play and there's no guarantee the Mac players will pay for it. They are still a growing company and can't risk wasting money. Valve isn't a new company.

walrusaurus said:
Abedeus said:
walrusaurus said:
based on what
Iunno, maybe half the new games coming out being not available on Mac.. just a thought.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Abedeus said:
Can't expect a 2009 game to just decide to spend thousands on making it run on Macs. Especially if the game is free to play and there's no guarantee the Mac players will pay for it. They are still a growing company and can't risk wasting money. Valve isn't a new company.
It seems to me that a Mac user would more likely to spend money on a F2P game, given that Mac users typically have more disposable income (they're willing to spend 50% more to get a computer with the same specs).

Abedeus said:
walrusaurus said:
Abedeus said:
based on what
Iunno, maybe half the new games coming out being not available on Mac.. just a thought.
How does that in any way support your thesis

Konatacalypse

Dec 30, 2010
Kiraxa said:
A new game mode wont fix the fundamental problems of league of nerfmaster sucktown. Defense items are too powerful for their costs, combined with tanks farming too well, as well as the overabundance of CC with no diminishing returns leads to the league of tankydps steamrolling everything, with only a few outliers who don't fit that who are "viable."
Also the lack of "core features" is going to continue hurting the game. No replays, no mac client, no spectators, magma core delayed and delayed and delayed. The new champ every 2 weeks release cycle apparently really hurts the development of other features, no matter what the devs protest otherwise. or maybe its just their new chinese overlords, since tencent just gave them quite a large stack of cash a couple months ago.

Ninja'd.

Riot is a testament to bad game design.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
... "should I gain personal power, or should I do what's right for the team?"
This is the problem with the entire genre. Too many people off solo farming while you lose the mid-game because you're always down a man or two in team fights. Sounds like I might be a dominion fan...

dosp5

May 14, 2011
walrusaurus said:
Actually there is a mac client. I should know, I use it.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
dosp5 said:
walrusaurus said:
then your either in a closed beta, or have a hacked client

dosp5

May 14, 2011
walrusaurus said:
dosp5 said:
walrusaurus said:
then your either in a closed beta, or have a hacked client
In there forums, some riot employees posted up a bunch of patches.If i knew how to work hyperlink I would give them to you.

Tarngold

Apr 13, 2010
I for one welcome this new content, its really nice to finally see a new map to work with, and here's hoping that when they see how much this new map boosts their sales they will scramble to put out magma chamber for us.

This is a golden opportunity to show Riot what we want more of by demonstrating more play time in LoL due to the new map.

As for all the QQ i see in this, im totally aware of the common gripes related to LoL, but they always seem to be related to balancing issues or the way the micro transactions are prioritized. Balancing is hard work when your dealing with A LOT of champions with unique mechanics. Add to that that they release a new champion every week/2 weeks and it means a constant battle to compile enough data to justify a change. You can say "QQ my champion was improperly nerfed and i know that it is not an issue with them", but honestly you only get to see half the picture when your just a player. Seriously "league of nerfmaster sucktown" Kiraxa??? you degrade your argument when you childishly make fun of something.

People complaining about tanks need to start building correctly, get stuff like Malady, Madreds, Deathfire's grasp, Executioners calling, all the penetration items, theres plenty anti tank items to go around.

As far as the "The new champ every 2 weeks release cycle apparently really hurts the development of other features" shpeal, you honestly do not know how game development works. People are placed on teams working on certain aspects of the game, one team works on play-testing, another on patching once approved, another on champion graphics, etc. Ive heard it said that the team who works on the Skins is separate from the ones working on other features. ALL this aside, Riot is in the business to make money to support further endeavors, how does it make this money? How does it guarantee a steady income for itself to ensure we can still keep playing this great game? By creating new things to buy through micro-transactions.

Im far from perfect, my only gripe is related to the server and stability of the game, i went for 5 solid nights a week or so ago without playing due to different aspects of the game being completely shut down. Also ever since i started playing the game i had been experiencing disconnections from the PVP.net server, forcing me to have to completely restart the game or skip seeing the match results and the subsequent qq chat from the other team. Both very legitimate gripes since im missing out on core features of the game.

Jazzyjazz2323

Jan 19, 2010
Tarngold said:
I for one welcome this new content, its really nice to finally see a new map to work with, and here's hoping that when they see how much this new map boosts their sales they will scramble to put out magma chamber for us.

This is a golden opportunity to show Riot what we want more of by demonstrating more play time in LoL due to the new map.

As for all the QQ i see in this, im totally aware of the common gripes related to LoL, but they always seem to be related to balancing issues or the way the micro transactions are prioritized. Balancing is hard work when your dealing with A LOT of champions with unique mechanics. Add to that that they release a new champion every week/2 weeks and it means a constant battle to compile enough data to justify a change. You can say "QQ my champion was improperly nerfed and i know that it is not an issue with them", but honestly you only get to see half the picture when your just a player. Seriously "league of nerfmaster sucktown" Kiraxa??? you degrade your argument when you childishly make fun of something.

People complaining about tanks need to start building correctly, get stuff like Malady, Madreds, Deathfire's grasp, Executioners calling, all the penetration items, theres plenty anti tank items to go around.

As far as the "The new champ every 2 weeks release cycle apparently really hurts the development of other features" shpeal, you honestly do not know how game development works. People are placed on teams working on certain aspects of the game, one team works on play-testing, another on patching once approved, another on champion graphics, etc. Ive heard it said that the team who works on the Skins is separate from the ones working on other features. ALL this aside, Riot is in the business to make money to support further endeavors, how does it make this money? How does it guarantee a steady income for itself to ensure we can still keep playing this great game? By creating new things to buy through micro-transactions.

Im far from perfect, my only gripe is related to the server and stability of the game, i went for 5 solid nights a week or so ago without playing due to different aspects of the game being completely shut down. Also ever since i started playing the game i had been experiencing disconnections from the PVP.net server, forcing me to have to completely restart the game or skip seeing the match results and the subsequent qq chat from the other team. Both very legitimate gripes since im missing out on core features of the game.
NMST and DMP are both titles of high status and signifies greatness among LoL forum goers,sir I must inform you are wrong and Sir Morello will be nerfing you soon.But ya great Interview with Volibar,Riot's initial announcement left me highly pessimistic about Dominion but this has really turned me around.