Innovation or Invasion?

JP Sherman

Aug 27, 2010
Innovation or Invasion?

Microsoft wants to take over your life with NUAds.

Read Full Article

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Waiting for the inevitable "wave your hand to see the cleansing power" ads that are gonna show up >.>

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I don't know about anyone else, but adverts tend to make me want to buy the product less.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
I have a real problem with people taking advantage of me to make their money. As such, I would only be ok with this if I'm being paid for my endorsement.

I wonder what would happen if a few million Twitter users decided to form a trading block and demand payment for any endorsements granted by their members.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
I guarantee you that no matter how intrusive, inane and tedious these ads are, some people will defend them with some sort of 'how else are they going to pay for it' and 'it's their right' type arguments whilst everyone else either tries their best to struggle through, moans incessantly but does nothing, gets their hands on blocking programs, or simply gives up on the medium altogether. I've not watched TV in years because the ads aren't worth the programming available over here, and on the internet *comment redacted*.

Any way it works, unless advertisers realise that brand recognition alone isn't enough and that a POSITIVE association helps, and even then might not work, advertising's just going to be a blight on whatever platform it's plastered across. "Go Compare" with it's annoying opera man is firmly emblazoned into my mind from over-hearing the prat on house-mates' TV, and I know bloody well to keep the fuck away from it. Same for "We Buy Any Car", for similar reasons. Even Old Spice, with one of the more amusing marketing campaigns, merely entertains - I have no desire to purchase the product. Having things rammed down my throat whilst I try to enjoy doing something completely unrelated is NOT a good way of engaging with me, and making me literally go through a song and dance routine does not sound like a positive move on behalf of advertisers, behavioural marketing be damned.

Hmm, I wonder what it would take for me to track down a marketing director's house and spend a productive night covering it in slogans and surrounding it with billboards, projectors and speakers to bombard him every minute of the day with tedious jingles, eye-catching graphics and behaviour-adjusting tag-lines, and see how he fucking likes that sort of invasion of privacy. Lets just hope that that line never gets crossed. (possibly for my sake too, lol)

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
Soon, we will have to tweet an ad if we want to watch/play what we have already paid for.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
I don't like it and I wouldn't and won't engage this type of marketing, but unfortunately I and other people like me, i.e. commenters on gaming websites, are a minority. All those young children, parents, less tech savvy peoples, and all sorts of other demographics will. It's especially disturbing when a company says "Do our job for us (re-tweet the ad) for the chance to win a (shitty)prize!". It's brutal, manipulative and takes advantage of people's greed.

This type of marketing is exactly why my Xbox is little more than a DVD player for me. The ad saturation when I turn the console on is a real turn off. Sony isn't miles better, but it is definitely better at being more low key and even, in a way, respectful in their marketing style. Maybe because it's a Japanese company? I don't know, but what I do know is that I'm one of those minority people that is completely pushed away by obnoxious advertising and generally prefer not to buy products that are marketed aggressively and intrusively towards me.

However, I fear that will simply not make one iota of difference ever, at all.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
The perceived value aspect intrigues me. I generally look at these 'do this for this!' ads frpm the perspective of 'the odds are againts me, its not worth it'. but I know people who will occasionally phone on for these massive daytime tv cash prices cause they hope they will be the lucky one person out of all the millions to get the prize

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
FreakSheet said:
Soon, we will have to tweet an ad if we want to watch/play what we have already paid for.
I fear this is way too close to happening.

The (over-)saturation of marketing is one of the biggest reasons I have avoided all the big social networks (this is the closest I've gotten to a real social-networking site), because it seems the main goal of such schemes is to find out as much as possible about you, bombard you with "the perfect" ads, and then use you to get "the perfect" ads to everyone you know. All this when the only benefit for you is "well now you get ads you care about!"

No.

Rythe

Mar 28, 2009
Thanks.

It's rather nice to see the marketing perspective on things like this.

I actually don't even remember the adds on my XBox Live dashboard because I'm always skimming by them to either grab a particular arcade game I want or immediately jumping into a game (and I've avoided Kinect like the plague). I'd say it'd be interesting to see if real thought gets put into this stuff or if it fails like the gaming community wants it to, but I'll probably never even notice them.

therightanswer

Mar 1, 2011
All of the ads are completely optional to view and participate in, and although that has been made abundantly clear it has been made into such a panic. IF you have a kinect (I don't) and IF you watch ads by choice (Who does that?), and IF decide to involve the ads products or services in your social media this gives you the option to do so.

I don't think anyone on earth meets those three prerequisites, and I'm sure that the total fails in comparison to those who complain about the service.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Do you know what I do when I see an advertisement in something that I've paid money for?

I'll tell you, I boycott the company in the ad.

For example: In Wipeout HD an ad for Honda Civics plays during the (prolonged for the sake of the ad) loading screen of about every twentieth race. As a result I have decided to never buy anything from Honda and I encourage all of you to do the same.

Another example: My computer once caught some adware that played an audio ad every few minutes without including an option to turn the ads off. One of those ads was for French's. I have boycotted French's.

Advertisers have to understand that not all attention is good attention. If an advertisement annoys me or otherwise provokes a negative reaction in me then I will not buy the product. Oh sure, the above ads increase product awareness but they certainly do not increase the likelihood of me buying their products.

JP Sherman, thanks, now that I know about these NUAds, I will certainly never buy an Xbox 360.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
therightanswer said:
All of the ads are completely optional to view and participate in, and although that has been made abundantly clear it has been made into such a panic. IF you have a kinect (I don't) and IF you watch ads by choice (Who does that?), and IF decide to involve the ads products or services in your social media this gives you the option to do so.

I don't think anyone on earth meets those three prerequisites, and I'm sure that the total fails in comparison to those who complain about the service.
The real problem here is that this could be a slippery slope to this:
FreakSheet said:
Even giving the option to participate is being intrusive.

Distortionfile

Feb 21, 2011
This sounds exactly like those 'game' ads on web pages. I haven't seen an ad in years so I don't know if they're still around, but back in the day it was hard not to punch the boxer or swat the fly or what ever click based thing got you to 'win' and open their page up. It worked on me up until I got tired of the pages opening and viruses flowing in. The sad thing is, I never browsed one of those sites even for a second. "immaterial" advertising is a total waste of time and money. Advertising anything to everyone is like advertising tampons on the Spike network, its a bad strategy. There are only 2 good types of ad. One that provides information on a product or service I might need but was not aware of, and one that is genuinely funny or entertaining. The problem with the latter, is that I typically wont remember the product. With material items, it will always come down to two things. What do I want, cheap, or awesome? Will I buy a WII or a 360? single ply 99 cent a roll TP, or double quilted?

That's what it all boils down to. Do you want a few extra dollars in your pocket while you're getting s**t on your hands?
Advertising something that isn't new or special is stupid, the end.