Surprise! Authorities Investigating Looters' Swag Pictures On Facebook

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Surprise! Authorities Investigating Looters' Swag Pictures On Facebook

Looters in Britain seem to think it's a good idea to post pictures and movies of all the stuff they've been stealing during the current riots. Too bad the cops know they're doing it.

In case you haven't been paying attention to the headlines, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112137-British-Media-Blames-Games-For-London-Riots>the U.K. is in the midst of some particularly nasty riots that started over the weekend and are continuing to spread between cities. Unsurprisingly, looting has been taking place while angry rioters torch smash and burn buildings (as looting and riots often go hand-in-hand), and some of the, ah, prouder thieves have been posting photos and videos of their hauls on social networking sites. You can already tell where this is headed, can't you?

The most infamous photo to show up so far is the one pictured at right, where you can clearly see the thief's face over the stuff he stole. However, many of the rioters have posted similar images, as well as shots of police cars being burned and other acts of vandalism/looting on sites like Facebook and Twitter. At the moment, police forces are stretched thin, but they're apparently investigating folks that are using the sites to document their crimes.

The riots began on Saturday night in Tottenham, a London neighborhood where police wound up fatally shooting a resident while they were investigating "gun crimes." As a result, the riots started there and then proceeded to spread out in a ripple effect and reached other cities like Birmingham and Liverpool.

While criminals might not have to worry about getting arrested by the cops right now (since they're doing their best to, y'know, quell the riots themselves), posting pictures and videos of one's criminal exploits where the entire world can see them is far from the brightest decision one could make. Enjoy your ill-gotten gains, folks, it looks like it's only a matter of time before they earn you an all-expenses-paid vacation to prison.

Source: <a href=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023667/London-riots-Looter-posts-photo-booty-Facebook.html>Daily Mail

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
God bless Facebook(even though I find it evil) and the biggest morons in history who make us feel good about ourselves...Also First.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Wow...just wow; if I ever had the urge to loot you can guess I wouldn't plaster it on Facebook, then again it seems the only time Canada riots these days is over hockey so...

weker

May 27, 2009
Chavs being chavs again, I really wish natural selection would become more prominent in these groups.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Don't take that twit's muscle protein powder back. The skinny little bastard needs to bulk up.

He'll need the muscle in jail.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
If we needed any more confirmation that the internet is making people stupid, or at least making that stupidity blatantly obvious, then here it is.

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
I wish that this story hadn't been reported so that the police might be able to catch a few more of the stupid wankers before they caught on.

Xelt

May 11, 2008
Just for anyone interested, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14449675 is a live coerage of it, but it's showing pre-recorded footage at the moment.
I was talking with a few people on Skype who are down in London, it's quite bad from the sounds of it from them.

Some MP has just made a comment that is not going to make anything better at all though.

Conservative MP Peter Luff
No single explanation for this anarchy but rioters likely to be products of failed families - bored, selfish, unloved young men.
https://twitter.com/#!/PeterJLuff
Some of the looting isn't even proper looting, why would someone loot a mcdonalds?
Or loot for 30p rice!?

Rumours were that something happened at the Zoo too, but no news on that so probably nothing.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Surely the big stroy here is that the Daily Fail has a relevant and sensible story that isn't linked to cancer (This just in, Rioting increases cancer risk).

OT: God bless the stupid criminal, though I can't say much for that guys film taste, at least he grabbed some good games.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
The great thing about looting isn't getting stuff for free, it's showing everyone online that you did. /meme

Really now, you seriously have to brag about this kind of stuff?

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Is there Mercury or Lead in the water? Jesus fucking Christ.

[sub]Not just the UK, Canada too seeing as our most recent riots were over a hockey game[/sub]

Humanity I am disappoint. : /

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
...Isn't this like the 5th case this year of people doing things like this? "Hey Cops, come get me I'm currently in ."