GameFly is Going to Try its Hand at Digital Distribution

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
GameFly is Going to Try its Hand at Digital Distribution

Subscription based rental service GameFly is releasing its own digital client and has announced a new "unlimited play" service for PC gamers.

The digital distribution Thunderdome is looking pretty crowded as of late. There's a glut of companies, including the recently branded Origin, fighting over the meager 30% market share that doesn't already belong to Steam. Now GameFly is looking to get in on that action.

Though it already has one digital distribution network already in the form of Direct2Drive which it bought from IGN back in May, mail-out rental company GameFly has announced a new digital client and digital distribution service which will be open to all current GameFly subscribers. According to GameFly co-founder Sean Spector, the service will work in a similar manner to Napster (the new, legal, incarnation of Napster that is), providing users with unlimited access to an "ever-growing" collection of games and revoking that access should they ever cancel their subscription.

Spector made it clear that although GameFly is largely targeted at men aged 18-34, the new service is more inclusive, offering content for the whole family. "So this client will be filled with PC games for kids, with casual games and indie games," he said, but upon hearing the sharpening of core-gamers' knives he added " It will run the gamut of content. We want to be accessible to all gamers, whether you are a 14-year-old boy or a 17-year-old girl or a 35-year-old gamer."

The new client also offers a straight forward store, where even non-subscribers can buy new and pre-owned titles. It will also host a number of social networking features, something current market leader Steam sorely lacks.

The service will begin a closed beta on September 8th, the codes for which are sadly only being handed out to the GameFly faithful who attend an event in Los Angeles.

Though it's clear at this point that, thanks to Steam, Valve runs Bartertown, I was a huge fan of GameTap before Metaboli bought it out and essentially broke everything. If GameFly can offer a similar service that actually works on a pc running a 64bit operating system then sign me up.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/article/69642/gamefly-to-launch-digital-client-pc-games]

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
It's about time they did something like this.
I like Gamefly (I don't buy crap because of them) but I know a few people who tried and dropped it. The service is currently a little overpriced for what it offers. Hopefully this will add that needed value.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Interesting. While I like there to be more competition in the Market as long as we don't have all these "retailer specific" releases or multiple competing ecosystems. Sometimes having a one stop shop for titles and online connectivity is good.

Grey Carter said:
The digital distribution Thunderdome is looking pretty crowded as of late.
What is it with you people? Can't we all just get beyond Thunderdome?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Interesting. While I like there to be more competition in the Market as long as we don't have all these "retailer specific" releases or multiple competing ecosystems. Sometimes having a one stop shop for titles and online connectivity is good.

Grey Carter said:
The digital distribution Thunderdome is looking pretty crowded as of late.
What is it with you people? Can't we all just get beyond Thunderdome?
oh. Oh. That was terrible.

Bravo, sir.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
When we can rent games digitally on our consoles, then I'll care.

Good news for PC gamers though, this has big potential.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Hmmm, a refreshing idea actually. Play with the option to buy on the PC, that could be worth looking into. I mean, it already looks better than Origin. I used to have a gamefly account, but eventually I played or bought all the games that I wanted for the PS3. So, no use of that service anymore. But, with the addition of PC games, it could be worth that cost again.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
its good they do this, they are going to need to work hard if redbox's game renting service really gets off the ground.