Bethesda Shows Off Skyrim's Dark Elves

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bethesda Shows Off Skyrim's Dark Elves

If you try to touch this Dark Elf, he will cut you.

Elves come in many flavors in the Elder Scrolls, perhaps most prominently - or at least most eye-catching-ly - the Dark Elves, or Dunmer. Originally hailing from Morrowind - the mushroom and bug filled province that provided the setting for the third Elder Scrolls game - the Dark Elves have spread to every corner of Tamriel, including the northern lands of Skyrim.

This first look at Skyrim's [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HYK956/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0WJVZKBHY2FEXDT8A728&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846] Dark Elves is the result of a pair of polls that Bethesda conducted on the game's official Facebook page: The first to determine the character's race from the ten the game has to choose from, and the second to determine the character's play style - thief, mage, or warrior. Thief won out over mage or warrior, and the Skyrim team set to work putting together a rather angry looking Dark Elf, wielding a pair of rather nasty looking daggers.

The image is rather dramatic - although that's not a bad thing - but I think that Bethesda has missed a trick by not showing the Dark Elves' red eyes. An angry guy who wants to cut you is one thing, an angry guy who wants to cut you and whose eyes burn like a raging fire, is an even scarier proposition.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 11th.

Source: GamePro [http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/221824/first-look-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrims-dark-elf/]

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
He kind of looks Arabian.
Also did anyone else notice that there's what appears to be the top half of a mushroom cloud in the distance.

KaizokuouHasu

May 19, 2011
I don't like it! The Dunmer's head looks too big for the body, and I don't understand the facial expression. It is a mix of agony, crying, yawning and anger. Only the last of the four has anything to do with swinging swords at enemies.

:(

Besides, this doesn't look like a thief. It looks like a Dark Brotherhood member. They were assassins/murderers, not thieves.

[EDIT:] I'll be damned if they have their ridiculous voices from Oblivion. Bring back their dark voices from Morrowind!

Goatmeat

Jun 17, 2011
triggrhappy94 said:
Also did anyone else notice that there's what appears to be the top half of a mushroom cloud in the distance.
Skyrim: Fallout 3 With Swords.

SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Heres to hoping the weapons actually look that kick ass in game and that its not Bethesda lies again.
QFT. When I read about some of the details of the game I think it might be really good, but then I remember that Todd Howard claimed that, in Oblivion, you'd have difficult choices and that you can influence NPC behaviour and simple quests could be completed in hundreds of different ways, and that even the clothes your wearing would affect how NPCs reacted to you, in very subtle ways.

The picture is kinda cool, though.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Not digging the new Dunmer.

But there was bound to be SOMETHING in this game that disappointed.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Definitely an improvement on the rather foppish variety from Oblivion, but it'll be difficult to topple the steely-eyed variety from Morrowind. give them a gruff voice again and I'll be in love.

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
Onyx Oblivion said:
Not digging the new Dunmer.

But there was bound to be SOMETHING in this game that disappointed.
If the only thing that's disappointing is that the Dark Elves are kinda not dark, then I'll be a very happy man.

But then, I've never thought of the Elder Scrolls as full games so much as they are canvas games for modders to paint their glorious creations on.

Like the Heart of Darkness for Oblivion. That shit was crazy awesome.

Vault Girl

Apr 17, 2010
triggrhappy94 said:

If i remember the Lore of The Elder Scrolls correctly that's either Masser or Secunda, the two moons of Nirn. I'd be nice to see how they texture the Sky, seeing as it's probably a a big thing, in SKYrim :)

Goatmeat

Jun 17, 2011
SgtFoley said:
I liked fallout 3, and I used swords in it...
Well... fair point. I forgot about the Chinese Officer's swords.

It was an attempt at referencing a fear amongst Fallout fans when it was announced that Bethesda were doing Fallout 3 that Fallout 3 would be "Oblivion with guns." This fear was exacerbated when Fallout 3 was released and it turned out that it was, in fact, Oblivion with guns. Kinda.

So, it was a (lame) joke, but to be honest I am genuinely curious to see if any of the things they started doing in Fallout 3 will carry over to Skyrim. I kinda hope they don't because I think there's too much that's too similar between both games now, but on the other hand I'd like it if the dialogue was a bit more in depth.

SgtFoley said:
Does anybody else think that that dark elf looks like an angry mexican?
The guy he's pissed off at just informed him that he and his homies don't have badges. "Badges?" he is saying in that screenshot. "We don't need no stinking badges!"

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
KaizokuouHasu said:
Kakulukia said:
Cool. This confirms my choice of race for my first playthrough.
Wood elf?
Ha. Ha. Ha. No.
My favorite playthrough of Oblivion was as a Dark Elf, I'll go with them again. Then Argonian if they still look cool.
[small]Wood elves suck anyway.[/small]