"Flame Red" 3DS Arrives Next Month, Mario Kart 7 Still Tentative

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
"Flame Red" 3DS Arrives Next Month, Mario Kart 7 Still Tentative

Nintendo is apparently in a generous mood today, as the beloved gaming firm offered up release details for Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land and a new, "flame red" 3DS model.

Notice that I said "release details" and not "release dates" in that lede? There's a good reason for that. Though actual dates were originally specified, Nintendo later claimed that said dates were "rumored" and that Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land are still only tentatively scheduled for later in the year.

Specifically, Super Mario 3D Land will appear in November and Mario Kart 7 will hit retail in December.

That new "flame red" DS however, is coming a bit sooner, and Nintendo is entirely comfortable with slapping a solid release date on its crimson shell. Come September 9, you'll find these borderline day-glo handhelds sitting on store shelves.

That release date coincides with the release of Star Fox 64 3D, and according to Nintendo's PR burst "comes on the heels of a new $169.99 suggested retail price, which goes into effect Aug. 12 in the United States."

In case that pleasant reminder wasn't enough for you, the release also includes the below promotional video. It's stereotypically homogenized PR stuff, but it reiterates all the salient points for those of you whose attention spans start to wander without the presence of moving images.

[brightcove bcpid=652325344001 bctid=1102804515001]

Most crucial to the release of the new red 3DS, is the myriad color options now available to prospective consumers. As the PR blast states, "Flame Red joins Cosmo Black and Aqua Blue, so now shoppers have three distinct and fashionable colors to choose from."

I'm all for offering consumers options, but why anyone would ever need a color that isn't black is beyond me. If it's good enough for mopey teenage girls, it's good enough for your silly videogames.

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/08/10/nintendo-3ds-coming-in-flame-red-release-dates-for-super-mario-and-mario-kart-3ds/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MultiplayerBlog+%28Multiplayer+Blog%29]

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
God dammit! I would have got a red one if it was available on release.

*looks disappointedly at his black 3DS*

scyther250

Jun 7, 2010
"Notice that I said "release details" and not "release dates" in that lede?"
What's a "lede"? It honestly shouldn't be this hard for a publication, especially one that prides itself on quality like the Escapist, to use spellcheck.

Edit: well, it wasn't in my dictionary, but I guess it's a real piece of jargon in the USA. The fact remains that there have been spelling/grammar errors in many other articles.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I've been wondering when we'd be getting our red 3DS...Japan has had it for nearly a month now after all...I'm hoping they release new colors before the 3DSi or whatever the Mark II. will be called.

Anyway, excited to hear about the new color and I'm glad to hear that I won't need to wait until 2012 to get my Mario and Kart action on.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
scyther250 said:
"Notice that I said "release details" and not "release dates" in that lede?"
What's a "lede"? It honestly shouldn't be this hard for a publication, especially one that prides itself on quality like the Escapist, to use spellcheck.
A "lede" is that first little blurb that introduces the story. It's also known as a "lead paragraph." To wit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_paragraph

Anything else I can clear up for you?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
TimeLord said:

AUGH!
Whatever, I will just sell my 3DS to my little brother, and get the new shiny red one...
If it weren't for the free games you are giving me for buying a 3DS the first day, I would be pretty mad right now.
No_Remainders said:
Mario Kart SEVEN?

To quote Yahtzee: THERE IS NOT A FINGER BIG ENOUGH.
MARIO KART 7! NOW WITH NEW AND IMPROVED SHITTY WI-FI MULTIPLAYER!
Whatever, I have mastered every other Mario Kart game to date, what's another one?
At least it isn't as silly as Mario Party...
Mebe Nintendo should do what they do with Super Smash Bros., with Mario Party!
Play hand-destroying mini-games with Kirby and Samus!

FPSMadPaul

Master Of The Smurfs
Sep 27, 2010
Torrasque said:
TimeLord said:

AUGH!
Whatever, I will just sell my 3DS to my little brother, and get the new shiny red one...
That seems like a lot of money you have to burn. I don't even have one :(

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
FPSMadPaul said:
Torrasque said:
TimeLord said:

AUGH!
That seems like a lot of money you have to burn. I don't even have one :(
Thats what my mom said earlier today, lol.
I am just a nintendo fanboy with a fetish for flaming fun :D

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Dang that red one looks nice, but I am satisfied with my Blue 3DS and have no plans of upgrading it (I still have my original Original Blue DS, though it's broken and I can't find a charger for it). I just wanna get the Mario games so bad though!

FPSMadPaul

Master Of The Smurfs
Sep 27, 2010
Torrasque said:
Flaming Fun? [http://flaming.urbanup.com/101720 ]
Mr.Mattress said:
Dang that red one looks nice, but I am satisfied with my Blue 3DS and have no plans of upgrading it (I still have my original Original Blue DS, though it's broken and I can't find a charger for it). I just wanna get the Mario games so bad though!
*Cough* Aqua Blue [http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Aqua-Blue/dp/B002I090AG] #corrections

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
FPSMadPaul said:
Torrasque said:
Flaming Fun? [http://flaming.urbanup.com/101720 ]
Lol, oh urban dictionary...
My fav is looking up friends names on UD, and telling them how insane they are.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Don't forget the 3DS is being sold at some Walmarts and Targets for the reduced price already which of course means you can have your price cut and get the ambassador program game promises as well...but it seems this 3DS is nothing but empty promises anyway...did they ever give dates for when they'd start rolling out the ambassador games?

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
I like sparkly blue.
In fact, most of the people at EA who I know have one have the blue.
The black is the one I thought would be most popular but it has not proven true.
That said, I work at a major game studio and barely anyone has a 3DS to begin with.
My StreetPass use is anemic at best.

Juliamon

Bus with me, Cthulhu!
Jul 28, 2010
Still not buying until there's an orange-colored one.
THESE ARE MY DEMANDS, NINTENDO. APPRECIATION FOR THE COLOR ORANGE. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
No_Remainders said:
Mario Kart SEVEN?

To quote Yahtzee: THERE IS NOT A MIDDLE FINGER BIG ENOUGH.
Fixed that for you.

OT: Wow,they are still trying to convince people that the blue one isn't the worst fucking color for the thing,I'm shocked. Though it's nice to see that they finally released red,and it will be out at the same time as Star Fox 64,so I'm fucking covered.