New Skyward Sword Screens Take Link on Hyrulean Wildlife Tour

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Skyward Sword Screens Take Link on Hyrulean Wildlife Tour

Legend of Zelda fans beware: the scorpions in Skyward Sword are massive, and they're just the beginning.

It's no wonder than the people of Skyloft don't go down to Hyrule in Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword; it's full of rather mean-looking flora and fauna, apparently with a taste for green-suited heroes. Still that doesn't seem to have deterred the stalwart Link, who has a childhood friend to save, and doesn't have time to worry about being eaten.

[gallery=409]

Not every screenshot in the this collection is new - we've seen Link's battle with the Stalfos before, for example - but there's plenty of other creatures that we haven't come across before. It's also another look at Skyward Swords' interesting art style. Personally, I will admit that I wasn't sold on the visuals at first, but they've really grown on more the more I see of them.

Skyward Sword is looking like it's going to be a really solid addition to the franchise. It's also exciting to hear that Nintendo is trying new things with the setting and gameplay, like changing Link and Zelda's relationship and tweaking the ever-so-familiar standing set of inventory items.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword comes out for the Wii later this year.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I first disliked Wind Waker's stylized graphics, but it grew on me and it certainly aged better than other Zelda games or games from that generation.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
The one thing that bothers me most about Zelda games is having the entire control scheme laid out on the screen. I think I can remember that Wiimote waggle swings the sword, I don't need the picture on the right reminding me.

That's honestly one of the reasons the OoT 3D remake was so good: they shifted a lot of the clutter UI elements to the bottom screen on the 3DS, leaving the top for the actual game world.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
hmm...I will have to steal my wii back off my nephew. I still haven't gotten to play all of Mario Galaxy 2 -.-

It's looking great so far and I like the change back to ocarina style graphics. I like the wind waker etc but it's nice to have something different.

Taking a closer look at the screens it almost looks like a mixture of both.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
I thought they took that wii remote picture off the screen. Are we sure these are new screens? I have my doubts.

Also.. I believe those to be far higher resolution than the actual game.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
And Link was slaughtered by a giant Scorpion and the world rejoiced ..... what? Can't a man dream?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, I've really fallen in love with this game's look after being iffy on it at first. Hopefully the vertical/horizontal/diagonal slash thing isn't annoying. I actually really liked the motion control parts of Twilight Princess, so it's not something that worries me as much as it does some people here.

Samus Aaron

Apr 3, 2010
Thomas Guy said:
Is that annoying ass Wiimote outline going to be onscreen the entire time?
darkfire613 said:
The one thing that bothers me most about Zelda games is having the entire control scheme laid out on the screen. I think I can remember that Wiimote waggle swings the sword, I don't need the picture on the right reminding me.
Nintendo has confirmed that that Wiimote outline is just being used as a guide for people to understand the control scheme. It won't actually be in the final product. No, I don't have the link to prove it (no pun intended) but assure you it was mentioned in a news post a while back.

minnull

Feb 10, 2010
Looks like they took the gears of war approach to camera angles with Skyward Sword. Not that its a bad thing at all. The wiimote blocking half the screen has gotta go.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
do you have any more recent ones?
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/gallery/index.php?cat=102

i looked at this zelda fan site that i look at least once a day to find out any news related to recent game and avoid the forums just so i don't have to deal with idiotic fanboys/girls [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanDumb]. i know not all of them are like that but enough are

darkfire613 said:

That's honestly one of the reasons the OoT 3D remake was so good: they shifted a lot of the clutter UI elements to the bottom screen on the 3DS, leaving the top for the actual game world.
the wii remote, nunchuk, and the thing that say's how to shoot/launch/whip/roll seems unnecessary once you know the controls but it's likely it is only there for demo, tutorial of the game, and for a short amount of time when you get a new item. you could probably turn it on or off in some options menu. so would worry about that too much.

but you could be there for the whole game so who knows but i would not be a smart move by nintendo if they did
although the picture of the currently equipped item in the coroner, rupees and hearts is most likely not going anywhere and will be there like the rest of the games

Jurian

Jan 22, 2008
Aren't these the same pictures from the trailer and gameplay videos we already saw 200 times ?
I'm beginning to think there's nothing else to the game besides the scorpion and the stalfos battle.

Black Watch

Aug 9, 2010
I am really looking forward to this game. I think the merger with the Wind Waker style and the Twilight Princess style graphics are amazing.