Portal 2's Wheatley, Now In Puppet Form

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Portal 2's Wheatley, Now In Puppet Form

As if you needed more proof that Portal fans are the most creative people on Earth, here's a frighteningly spot-on puppet replica of Portal 2's beloved megalomaniacal idiot.

For those of you who didn't play Portal 2 -- what is wrong with you? -- Stephen Merchant [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/3146-Wheatleys-Song-Portal-2]), endearingly stupid, and has absolutely no grasp of his own limitations.

I don't mean that as a compliment.

As a result, Wheatley immediately became one of the most beloved characters in the whole of Portal canon. He joins Cave Johnson, GLaDOS, Rat-Man, those explosive lemons, the cake that may or may not exist, the stupid crow, the Companion Cube, Chell and -- okay, let's just say that he's yet another amazing character in a series full of amazing characters.

It's no surprise that cosplayers would jump at the chance to portray Wheatley, but how does one cosplay a small metal sphere without losing limbs and major organs? If YouTube user trpchakai is any indicator, the answer is "puppetry."

Though it should be pointed out that the creation of the Wheatley puppet was a long, involved process (you can find an intensely detail walkthrough on the creator's blog [http://furincosplay.blogspot.com/2011/07/wheatley.html]), the end result -- as seen in the above video -- is stunning. No hyperbole; I had a hard time telling if that was an actual puppet or a clever bit of video editing and special effects work designed to screw with the 'net for fun and profit.

According to the YouTube description however, that clip only shows off a small bit of what the puppet can do. It's been programmed with 10 quotes directly from the game, and trpchakai says that she's still learning to properly operate the thing. Apparently this puppet is going to be even more convincing in the future, somehow.

While we're on the subject of Portal fan creations, I think I'll again point you all toward the results of the recent "Exile, Vilify" music video contest [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.305898-Of-Rat-Men-Indie-Pop-And-Maudlin-Sock-Puppets]. Both because they, like this puppet, are phenomenally well-crafted, and because that song has been stuck in my head for most of this week.

Apr 28, 2008
I don't know. I don't think it's complete until it has Miracle of Sound's Wheatly song playing on repeat.

So don't call me a moron, I'm super-astute, my I.Q. is the infinite space from here to the moon...

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Even if this isn't for sale...

Then make more, then sell them. As I do want one.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Outstanding. Seriously.

Tell you what - make a Fact Sphere, and you've got a buyer. (Or, rather, several thousand buyers, I suppose.)

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, for god's sake, just make them all. I personally liked Rick, unlike most people, so you have at least one Rick buyer, but I enjoyed the rest of the spheres as well, so I'd have the collect-them-all mentality.

cora mcstrap

Jul 21, 2011
I've not played Portal 2 yet. It's in the growing pile of games but on top of that is WoW, DA series, ME series before i dig down to it. However I love Wheatly. As soon as he opened his mouth i was hooked on him.

Wendigo172

Mar 2, 2008
Lacsapix said:
I wanted to see the Space core more then wheatley.....
SPAAAAAACEEEEE!!!!
Really? Why? Wheatley actually has a personality, the space core just has his catchphrases.

Operations

Mar 11, 2009
That is an excellent piece of work.
It would look great static, but to articulate it and put in the voice samples takes it to another level.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
Saw this on deviantArt first, "DO WANT" is the only appropriate thing to say at this point.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
Ok so now we need a GLaDOS puppet and a team up with the muppets to make the ultimate muppet movie. The Muppets escape Apeture!

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Damn, I hate Portal so much. Everytime its mentioned I throw a fit of rage and kick my computer.

Seriously though, I cant enjoy anything Portal related anymore. When the first game came out I loved it. But then....

THE CAKE IS A LIE

LEMONS

SPAAAAAAAAACE

THIS WAS A TRIUMPH

All over the damn internet, everywhere.

And that is the tale of why Smash wants to stab the makers of Portal in the eye with a fork.
So, this then?

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
My favorite Wheatly line isn't even in a British accent.

"I'm speaking in an accent that's beyond her range of hearing!"

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Sassafrass said:
Even if this isn't for sale...

Then make more, then sell them. As I do want one.
Curse you Sassafrass! You beat me to posting that video clip! D:

Honestly, make them all and people will buy them, like me. :D

I love how they were able to not only re-create the look of him but all his little movements in the game as well. Hell, just making it would have been amazing, having it move and the voice samples makes it even better!