Steampunk Homeworld Meets Dragons in Larian's New Dragon Commander

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Steampunk Homeworld Meets Dragons in Larian's New Dragon Commander

If you think a mashup of steampunk Homeworld and giant flying lizards sounds like an awesome idea, then you need to check out Dragon Commander, the strategy/RPG crossover in the works at Divine Divinity developer Larian Studios.

I like to imagine that it went something like this: while kicking around ideas for a new game, some guy at Larian piped up and said, "You know what would be cool? Something like Homeworld [http://www.amazon.com/Homeworld-Pc/dp/B00001LDCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313089658&sr=8-1]... but steampunk!" And then some other guy said, "Yeah... and with DRAGONS!" And then everyone else at the table threw up their arms and cheered, and they all went out and got smashed on Hoegaarden.

That scenario may be entirely fictional but the game, at least as it appears in this brief announcement trailer, most definitely is not. Dragon Commander is set in Larian's Divinity [http://www.amazon.com/Divine-Divinity-Pc/dp/B00007BGQI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313089784&sr=8-1] universe but instead of a heroic fantasy RPG, the new game will be a combination of turn-based strategy and role-playing in "an original Art Nouveau/Steampunk world." Players will step into the boots of the legendary Dragon Knights, leading massive armies of technology and magic in a quest to conquer the Empire.

"We've been dreaming about a project like this for many years, and fresh from the success of our latest game we realized that there is nothing that holds us back any longer. The new game blends together our favorite genres and themes, something that is not easy - but the resulting gameplay experience is very rewarding, and it's also a lot of fun to make," said Dragon Commander Game Director Swen Vincke. "We have role-playing, we have strategy, we have exploration... and we have plenty of dragons. We also feel that we have finally discovered how dragon combat can work well in a game. We're pretty much breaking new ground here, and we're very much determined to surprise the players with what we'll offer in this game!"

Let me say this one more time, just so we're all clear: turn-based steampunk Homeworld with dragons. With dragons! You better believe I'm going to be all over this one. First details on Dragon Commander will be revealed at larian.com/dragoncommander [http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/]. Dragon Commander is expected to come out sometime in 2012 for the PC and consoles.

Tom Ohle

Nov 23, 2006
Yeah, there's been very little shown so far... so hold off before declaring it "not steampunk" :)

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
I like the sound of Turn based strategy game, because I miss playing them a lot.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well, it looks neat but that little box saying for consoles also makes me really suspicous since games like this tend not to work on consoles and I have a feeling that might drag down the pc version of it

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
I unfortunately never played Divine Divinity (I probably will pick it up on GOG sometime), but I fucking loved Divinity 2. I think it is one of the single most criminally underrated WRPGs of this generation. I'm thrilled to hear about another project from Larian. Strategy games aren't my favorite, but I'm still very excited at the prospect of another Divinity game.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I was drooling at the prospect of a Homeworld like RTS with epic battles in a 3D space, then I read ...

a combination of turn-based strategy and role-playing

... and I stopped drooling.

Probably the only time you will get the flying battles with the HW like trails is in the cutscenes, the actual gameplay will most likely be like a standard tactics genre, not a bad thing... just not a Homeworld err.. thing.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
*Ahem*

[HEADING=2]FUCK![/HEADING]

I had an idea floating around in my head for a game based around a tribe of sentient Dragons fighting an expanding industrialised steam-punk Republic, with Steam powered jet engines and such.

Although to be fair, my idea is for a arcade flight sim, not a strategy game. But yeah, the player takes direct control (not the "reigns", mind you) of a literal NON-anthropomorphic Dragon; By that I mean it's not just a big lizard with a british accent. The Dragons have their own guttural language and culture, that you may or may not help to preserve by fighting the Republic.

But still FUUUUUU!!

Exile714

Feb 11, 2009
Yeah, the "turn based" part turned my excitement around. Just because there are ships with trails behind them doesn't make it Homeworld. Homeworld was a lovely, understated RTS. Homeworld was a masterpiece. I do not play turn based games, I do not buy turn based games, and I never will. Thanks for getting my hopes up and dashing them into dust once I read the print.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It's a 30-second announcement trailer with a cool vibe. Love it for what it is!

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Nice, another booth to check out on the wed, loved Dragon kight saga and to command an army of them? hell yeah :)

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Sober Thal said:
I see no steam, nor any punk. (Nor anything Victorian)

I think the title needs an edit.

lol, "Some guy" from Larian needs a dictionary!

-'Steampunk involves a setting where steam power is still widely used?usually the Victorian era Britain?that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology or futuristic innovations as Victorians may have envisioned them; based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, art, etc. This technology may include such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne.'-

btw.... game sounds cool
Hey some of those things look very art deco, and screw that crap where it has to be in Victorian England. That makes me sick, what a lame place to put all that awesome. WWI era makes for much better steampunk. :)

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
As much as I love dragons, I withhold judgment until I see more, as most "dragon games" have disappointed me.

Why can no one give the flying lizards some love. And NO Skyrim and Dragon AGE don't count because you kill the dragons. That's not love, that's murder.

JerreyRough

Aug 12, 2011
For the whole "it isn't steampunk" stuff... Its part Steampunk. From the trailer, one faction is clearly steampunk from its "future-tech" combined with airships and blimps. They probably would call the other Steampunk as well, but it is rather dieselpunk which is 1920-1950s tech/designs. If you aren't familiar with dieselpunk, go watch Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Anyways, I am really looking forward to this! It has been far too long since a decent steampunk game has come out (Damnation, I'm looking at you). And you can't go wrong with dragons. And steampunk dirigibles that shoot lightning.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Sober Thal said:
I see no steam, nor any punk. (Nor anything Victorian)

I think the title needs an edit.

lol, "Some guy" from Larian needs a dictionary!

-'Steampunk involves a setting where steam power is still widely used?usually the Victorian era Britain?that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology or futuristic innovations as Victorians may have envisioned them; based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, art, etc. This technology may include such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne.'-

btw.... game sounds cool
But the visuals...

It is clearly just technology rather than steam, but it looks like what would happen if super space empires had a fixation on the Steampunk look. Just slap brass, copper, pewter and some polished wood on those structures, and replace the trails of light with clouds of steam, it would look right out of a steampunk world.

I think it looks great, honestly.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
This looks pretty cool. Loved Larian's first outing, am yet to play their second. Which reminds me, anyone played Divinity 2? Any thoughts?

Kotep

Apr 3, 2011
On Larian's forums, they've said that the 'campaign map' is turn-based, but battles are real-time. Not sure how that'll work out but there you go.

Divinity 2 (the Dragon Knight Saga version at least) is really good--not quite the same as Divine Divinity, but definitely a fun action-RPG for people who are into exploration and clever writing. Combat tends to be a bit hacky slashy, but if you can put up with that it's a hell of a time.