Need Some Skin? Just Add Spider Silk

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Need Some Skin? Just Add Spider Silk

It turns out that human skin is a pain to grow for grafts, but spider silk is incredibly effective component at getting this to happen.

Science has been making some pretty cool discoveries/advancements lately. There was that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95187-New-Science-Offers-Regenerating-Muscles-To-The-Elderly>new technique for rebuilding muscle in old people. And that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108454-Science-Invents-a-Way-to-Power-Cars-With-Your-Pee>way to power cars with pee. Oh, and the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111789-Science-Breakthrough-Plate-Armor-is-Heavy>"discovery" that plate armor is heavy. Now, it turns out that a spider silk can be used to make human skin.

Because skin isn't all that tough - but is extremely flexible - it turns out that it's really hard to replace. As a result, skin grafts have to be built on top of material that's simultaneously flexible and strong enough that will let new skin cells grow successfully on top of it. Spider silk is notably stronger than human skin (proportionally, the stuff is actually stronger than steel and apparently has more stopping power than Kevlar).

In Hannover, Germany, Dr. Hanna Went of the Medical School of Hannover has created a skin graft base made from spider silk. She and her team "milked" <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_orb-web_spider>golden orb web spiders (side note: How cool of a species name is that?) for their silk, which was then used to create a mesh that was stretched on a steel frame and sprayed with human skin cells. The flexibility and toughness of the silk proved to be a viable environment for the cells. Within a few weeks, there was skin suitable for grafting procedures.

So, once again, science proves itself to awesome. Granted, doing this on a massive scale is going to take some time, due to limited quantities of spider silk. However, you've got to admit that getting a skin graft and then claiming that you're now part spider is a pretty cool concept.

Source: io9

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Spiders are so awesome!

If only they were social beings and were big enough for touching them to not involve putting yourself within inches of potentially deadly venom...

*invisions sentient, cockney, giant talking spiders*

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
The mass production problem will solve itself eventually. Scientists are making goats and plants produce the silk.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Erana said:
Spiders are so awesome!

If only they were social beings and were big enough for touching them to not involve putting yourself within inches of potentially deadly venom...

I imagine if such a being existed it would have a top hat and a monocle, at all times.

I guess this is a much more socially accepted alternative to, say, stem-cells which seem to be pretty effective at this as well.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Milk...Spiders? i don't even WANT to know how. (Wonder if you could "milk" a Tarantula...)

Anyway, this is kinda cool, science triumphs again! ^^

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
I can understand how this is a neat breakthrough but doesn't it seem not that necessary anymore since that skin gun was invented that makes new skin in a matter of days not weeks?

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Actually, that is a pretty awesome discovery. This and the 'skin gun'. Go Science!

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Thank you very much, Mother Nature, but we'll take it from there.
Xzi said:
I'd like to be the first to go ahead and volunteer to have all of my current skin replaced with skin on top of spider silk.
Personally, I really like the idea of having skin that's stronger than fucking Kevlar and still looking human :)

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Erana said:
Spiders are so awesome!

Well, the Avernum series has the GIFTS in every game, so that's close-ish.

That stands for Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders, by the way. They're all permanently hyperactive, friendly, cheerful and slightly stupid. Also, they're all called Spider. All of them.

Ohdake

Dec 6, 2009
If I remember correctly someone made spider silk gloves somewhere around 1920, but all I find in google is wow related :(

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Hmm...those are the spiders around my yard that I freak out and bat with sticks when I see (fear of spiders is strong with this one).

That freaky yellow web...
*shudders involuntarily*
Look at that picture. Its central area looks like a skull. How is that not evil?

Ohdake

Dec 6, 2009
I found the spidersilk glove thingy, from a book.
It was 1709 in France, they found that it takes 27 648 female spiders to produce pound of silk.

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
I love spiders, such helpful little creatures. Not only do they eat all the other annoying bugs in my house but they can help you grow your skin back :) so thoughtful of them lol

Gerhardt

May 21, 2010
eww eww eww.... eww....

I'll take the Skin Gun... or cybernetic parts.... or forbidden dark arts...
anything but spiders...

bleeehehhhhh... my skin is crawling just thinking about it.