Why You Can't Swing A Sword In Fable: The Journey

RossRaymondEdwards

Aug 3, 2011
Why You Can't Swing A Sword In Fable: The Journey

Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux has revealed what he hates about melee combat, and why you won't be seeing any in the upcoming release.

A Kinect-exclusive game and swordplay might seem like a match made in heaven, but Molyneux told OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/32319/news/no-melee-combat-in-fable-the-journey-because-kinect-cant-do-recoil/] he decided against using melee combat and guns in Fable: The Journey because players have pre-established ideas about how those interactions should feel.

"We could have done melee weapons, but the one thing I hate about melee weapons, and guns as well, is that the human brain is encoded to expect recoil from those things," he said.

Instead, players will wreak havoc on Albion's hapless Hobb population with magic and thrown weapons, using their hands to control the speed and, in some cases, shape the area of effect of projectiles.

Because players can't actually wield magic in real life, Molyneux explained, they don't have "encoded" ideas of how it should feel that get in the way of combat.

"Whenever I swing a sword and I hit something on screen, the visuals and the sound isn't enough," he said. "We could have done what Zelda did well on Twilight Princess, where it doesn't really matter what you do, what happens on-screen is the best thing. But I wanted people to feel powerful, to feel power, and that's all about you."

In an earlier interview [http://www.oxm.co.uk/32084/news/how-fable-the-journey-will-compel-you-to-buy-kinect/] with OXM, Molyneux predicted the newest Fable will drive Kinect sales by appealing to hardcore gamers, providing a much greater challenge than current motion-controlled offerings.

In Fable: The Journey, scheduled for release next year, players use hand gestures to control a horse-drawn cart, while sometimes setting out on foot to complete quests.

Source: OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/32319/news/no-melee-combat-in-fable-the-journey-because-kinect-cant-do-recoil/]

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
This really sounds like it is destine to fail...
It still sounds like it will be on rails too. Molyneux's excuse for no melee or ranged weapons just sounds like a cover-up for that fact.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Liking Molyneux is like being married to an abusive husband.

I LOVE YOU SO WHY DO YOU HURT ME LIKE YOU DO?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Look buddy, some people here like swords.

But as you're so intent on spoiling our fun, then maybe I can explain it in a way that's more appropriate to your world.

What about you include a sword in the collectors edition, so we get to swing a sword, and you get the extra income from that?

Deal?

No? Well, bugger off then.

Blind77

Jul 2, 2010
How about letting the players decide whether they want the feature or not? Isn't the whole point of motion controls to be able to at least partially imitate something like, say, sword swinging?

Peter, you're killing me >_<

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
A railshooter, that's what this sounds like, despite peters denial of this.
Much like the E3 demo in fact, sounds like Peter is up to his usual tricks trying to hype it up and then saying he's sorry after the game is released and it indeed turns out to be a bad railshooter.

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
But... swords. Choppy, slashy, dismembering fun. Keep your stinking magic.

This game will lose a lot of core gamers. A lot. I want Pete to remember what gamers actually like and then make a decent Fable 4. I love the Fable franchise, but AAAAAARGH!!!!

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
Kargathia said:
Personally, i like lances and axes over swords, their just less overrated to me.

And molyneux, stop...just stop. It's just sad now. You should have let this concept die back when it was on the drawing board.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Wow, nothing like cutting down the interested parties in a title. I mean, it is a match made in heaven..... who cares if you have an idea of what it is you are doing..... that is what makes it fun. I would love a sword play game that mimicked my motions like a real sword, not a wildly swing and the best thing happens..... you should have made it this way. Peter Molyneux should stop making games, they only get worse as time goes on. Also, I think it's funny that every successive iteration of Fable has gotten worse, now this one is going to a Kinect game. And I thought there was no more down hill, he has started digging a hole.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
figment of mind said:
Kargathia said:
Personally, i like lances and axes over swords, their just less overrated to me.

And molyneux, stop...just stop. It's just sad now. You should have let this concept die back when it was on the drawing board.
Whoa, swords are not over rated, haha. I mean, there was a time when a good sword cost more than a good horse. They were also a staple in war for over a thousand years. And in some cultures a sword is a symbol that is the mark of a master, and not just with swords. But, I digress....

He does need to stop.... You are right.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
So basically Peter you decided that your series needed to take a turn for the shittiest. Seriously motion controls I didn't mind you until this. Fuck off.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Oh my god, that.... does sound kind of reasonable to me.
At least he actually thought a bit about the problem of tactile feedback in motion-control (especially the Kinect-kind of motion control) and didn´t just make the exact same game he used to make, but with crappier controls.
And it´s not like they called it "Fable 4: this is what every single Fable game from now on will be like, fuckers!". It´s a spinoff, as far as I´m concerned devs are allowed to use those to fuck around with the formula.

thewinner194

Nov 26, 2010
I can see where he's coming from on this. I don't really agree with him, but I certainly see why he'd do that.

Actually, with simple application of laws of physics you could probably figure out that magic would probably have recoil too. Shooting energy out of your hands is pretty certain to have some sort of reaction.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"We could have done melee weapons, but the one thing I hate about melee weapons, and guns as well, is that the human brain is encoded to expect recoil from those things," he said.

Translation: "Another thing wrong with Kinect is that it doesn't allow for a feeling of recoil."

That's not something you "hate about melee combat".