Heroic Bungie Employee Makes Legendary Citizen's Arrest

Brian Albert

Aug 5, 2011
Heroic Bungie Employee Makes Legendary Citizen's Arrest

[king5=127158208]

A Bungie employee used a concealed weapon and his father's handcuffs to subdue a suspected gunman.

If you're planning to have a shootout at a bank in Seattle, look around to make sure Jeff Fletcher isn't lurking.

Around 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, August 6, a fight broke out between two men in a U.S. Bank parking lot. Both men allegedly drew weapons, and one was shot and injured.

Fletcher, a former security guard and <a href=http://twitter.com/#!/bungietweets/status/100610668184612866>current employee of famed Halo developer, Bungie, said he witnessed the ordeal from behind an ATM while his friend hid in their vehicle. The shooter approached Fletcher's position, prompting him to draw his own legally concealed firearm and confront the suspect.

"I told him to drop his weapon, he dropped his weapon," Fletcher said. "I told him to get on the ground, he got on the ground."

Minutes later, Fletcher said he remembered he was carrying his father's old handcuffs. That's reasonable. I never leave home without at least one pair, either. He detained the suspect, searched the shooter, and sat the man on the curb to wait until law enforcement arrived.

Fletcher warned against ordinary citizens engaging in this risky behavior, but "to ex-police or ex-army, or somebody who's got sufficient training and who's willing to take on that kind of risk for their loved ones or their community and has the capacity to do it, absolutely."

Investigators with the King County Sheriff's Office believe the quarrel was over a drug deal. The victim's gunshot wound was later deemed non-life-threatening.

The best part of this situation? Fletcher was wearing an Admiral Ackbar shirt the whole time.

Source: CVG

AceTrilby

Dec 24, 2008
Local hero, Bungie employee, and he lives in Twin Peaks? That's pretty badass all round!

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
before people start saying how awesome it is to carry guns to do stuff like this: he is a trained professional, i do support people like him carrying guns.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
2012 Wont Happen said:
If there was a studio full of guys like him they would produce the most bad ass games ever.
Oh wait...

OP: That assailant should have known to just walk away, it was a trap.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Neat.
These are actually the kind of people I don´t mind carrying guns around at all.
Both trained how to actually use one and how to act in such a situation.
Could have gone really wrong otherwise.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Smart criminal. Bungie guy's pistol probably had a scope anyways. You know he's packing the Halo: CE model.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I guess I'll be the first one to take the position that anybody who drives around in his spare time carrying a concealed gun and handcuffs is probably kind of an asshole.

I also can't help but wonder if we'd be hailing his "heroism" quite so much if he'd got himself shot in the face, or dragged the gunfight out even longer, maybe resulting in the death of a bystander or two.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
I guess I'll be the first one to take the position that anybody who drives around in his spare time carrying a concealed gun and handcuffs is probably kind of an asshole.

I also can't help but wonder if we'd be hailing his "heroism" quite so much if he'd got himself shot in the face, or dragged the gunfight out even longer, maybe resulting in the death of a bystander or two.
No, we probably wouldn´t.
We would also be pissed off, if he discharged his gun by accident and killed an innocent bystander. Or shot himself in the foot and bled to death.
But what would have really messed up his whole heroism thing, would have been a dragon swooping down from the sky and devouring everybody.
Or, you know, any other entirely hypothetical situation.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
You beat me to it, so you're indeed the first one. I guess that it's pretty much the good ol' debate as to how strict you want gun licencing to be.

But whatever the rules are: carrying a concealed gun is not going to get you any bonus points with me.

Gerhardt

May 21, 2010
Andy Chalk said:

Fletcher warned against ordinary citizens engaging in this risky behavior, but "to ex-police or ex-army, or somebody who's got sufficient training and who's willing to take on that kind of risk for their loved ones or their community and has the capacity to do it, absolutely."
With respect, at least he does mention that. It's not something that just anyone should try and do. By all means, if you you see something like this, the best thing to do is call 911.

This was more of an extraordinary situation where someone had the training and means to get involved. I've worked in the security field for nearly 3 years now and I'll soon start working on my permit to carry for employment, that doesn't mean I would be too keen to get into a scrape with some bad lad on the street, but it is a piece of mind to know there are good guys out there too.

Also, what's with bank robbers getting busted left, right and center lately? I remember there was a story a couple months ago where someone tried to rob a bank and a US Army sergeant who had just got back home on leave ran him down and beat him half senseless.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I saw this on Bungie's Twitter Feed a day or two ago. It's pretty awesome, isn't it? Between their security guard and this dude, Bungie has their fair share of badasses on their payroll.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:

True, but he had extensive firearms experience, as he said: "to ex-police or ex-army, or somebody who's got sufficient training and who's willing to take on that kind of risk for their loved ones or their community and has the capacity to do it, absolutely."

Anyways, I made a thread about this a few hours ago, but whatever. :)

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
TheAmazingHobo said:
No, we probably wouldn´t.
We would also be pissed off, if he discharged his gun by accident and killed an innocent bystander. Or shot himself in the foot and bled to death.
But what would have really messed up his whole heroism thing, would have been a dragon swooping down from the sky and devouring everybody.
Or, you know, any other entirely hypothetical situation.
Gerhardt said:
With respect, at least he does mention that. It's not something that just anyone should try and do. By all means, if you you see something like this, the best thing to do is call 911.

This was more of an extraordinary situation where someone had the training and means to get involved. I've worked in the security field for nearly 3 years now and I'll soon start working on my permit to carry for employment, that doesn't mean I would be too keen to get into a scrape with some bad lad on the street, but it is a piece of mind to know there are good guys out there too.
Well said guys. This wasn't just some random guy carrying an illegal firearm on him. He knew what he was doing and we shouldn't say he did something wrong because of what might have happened. What did happen is that someone who used to be a security guard and thus had undergone training for these kind of situations put his life on the line and was able to stop a bad guy from hurting any more people.

sir.rutthed said:
Smart criminal. Bungie guy's pistol probably had a scope anyways. You know he's packing the Halo: CE model.
Nice.