Stolen Pixels #28: Reboot Camp

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #28: Reboot Camp

Listen up, Tabula Rasa recruit! You have joined the Allied Free Sentients in the fight against the Bane! Now it's time...to do something or other.

i64ever

Aug 26, 2008
I'm surprised Bush/Cheney didn't think of the "buy your own gear" idea. I can hear it now. "Private Benjamine isn't dead because of bad strategic and tactical planning on our part. Its because she was too cheap to pony up for the good kevlar armor."

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
Tee hee! It's not just MMOs; pretty much any game where you are part of a modern military yet expected to fund yourself like it's 1300s England has this fundamental disconnect.

Mass Effect is halfway to solving this problem, as their "shops" initially carry black market goods instead of Official Supplies. Unfortunately, the military-issue items you unlock show up in the same shop...

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
i64ever post=6.73670.803888 said:
I'm surprised Bush/Cheney didn't think of the "buy your own gear" idea. I can hear it now. "Private Benjamine isn't dead because of bad strategic and tactical planning on our part. Its because she was too cheap to pony up for the good kevlar armor."
Hey it worked for armies back in the day. At least soldiers would be able to buy the new body armor the government keeps cockblocking.